Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 05:08 AM

Henry Mountains?
Posted By: nate

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 05:17 AM

Book Cliffs
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 06:54 AM

That hill behind then has been burned. Grass is one of the first plants to grow back after burns. Buffalo like grass!
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 10:12 AM

That hill behind them looks like there won't be any bootprints on it for a long time
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 11:36 AM

cool pic. thanks for sharing
Posted By: run

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 12:15 PM

Cool.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rat_Pack
That hill behind them looks like there won't be any bootprints on it for a long time
And looks like it needs burnt again.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 12:28 PM

cool
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 01:09 PM

For $2,000 you can hunt them here resident or non- resident can draw for a tag.
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 01:17 PM

Ouch on $$ tag. Here in Wis you can go to buff farmer and for approximately 500-800 you can shoot yr own or have farmer take care of it. Processing yourself or processing plant.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RdFx
Ouch on $$ tag. Here in Wis you can go to buff farmer and for approximately 500-800 you can shoot yr own or have farmer take care of it. Processing yourself or processing plant.

Somehow they claim they qualify these as free range and they qualify as trophy animals if a guy wants to get in the “books” is the big deal.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 01:38 PM

I would hope Not^^^
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
That hill behind then has been burned. Grass is one of the first plants to grow back after burns. Buffalo like grass!

After a corner of a big game preserve up in Kansas had a small corner burn off, I was surprised to learn they like ash too. As soon as the fire had moved past they ran (ran!) over to the ashes and rolled in them. They did that until there was a good rain and the grass sprang up and after that they refused to go anywhere prefering instead to each the new shoots and ignore the rest of the place. Cattle do the same thing so I should have seen the 2nd part coming.

To the OP- that looks like a great place- thanks for sharing.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 04:08 PM

I've seen elk and mule deer walking around where they burnt slash piles when they are so fresh there is still smoke coming up from some of the still smoldering parts and I could feel the heat through the soles of my boots walking there. They are licking the ash for the salt and stuff.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Wild free range Buffalo (Utah) - 07/26/21 04:10 PM

I remember guiding elk hunters who were not very impressed about me leading them out into a smoky, smoldering cut. . . at least until a breeze kicked up and blew the smoke away enough for them to see a herd of elk licking up fresh ash. Then they decided maybe I did know what I was doing. lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums