Home

Diesel Delete or not to delete? UPDATE

Posted By: Finster

Diesel Delete or not to delete? UPDATE - 07/26/21 12:42 PM

Well, fist hiccup with my '16 6.7 powerstroke. Getting a "EXH overload, drive to clean" on the dash and after 200 or so miles on the highway on cruise, it won't go away. Giving codes of sensor1 bank 1 low temp. I have an extended warrantee and it's going to the dealer tonight. I expect to get screwed, it's a dealer after all. My extended warrantee will be up next year and the next emissions problem I have after an expired warrantee, I'm thinking of deleting. Pros and cons?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:23 PM

Screwed
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:29 PM

Get rid of it, as long as you don't have inspections in your state. The DOC, DPF, and NOX systems are okay when they work,.but when they don't, they're nothing but an expensive headache. Back when I worked at Ford dealerships, I replaced a couple entire exhaust systems that got smashed offroading, and, living in the Chi-Raq area at the time, factory exhaust was all they could do. It cost $9000 at the time. Getting rid of it,plus the tuner you'll need to keep the CEL off, will make a big difference in power, and efficiency, too.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:51 PM

The EPA has clamped down hard on the delete thing.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:51 PM

Don't know if it's the same for personal vehicles like it is for commercial but some states you can't go to of you delete DEF
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:53 PM

Loosegoose you are the man that might be able to answer a question I have had. There are guys all over Texas who claim they can "bullet-proof" any of the Fords product line (diesel) .

They tell me almost no one will have it done to a truck until it is outside of its warranty, but that most of their customers say "Now I have a truck worth owning, I wish I had brought it to you on day 1"

Do you beleive these guys can do it that well or are they talkin smack?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 01:59 PM

They are in the shop all the time until the system is deleted.
I had a new garbage truck at my location that was in the shop constantly until I had the crap deleted then it ran great. A new boss came along and found out it was deleted and he insisted it be returned to factory install and now it's back in the shop all the time. He wanted to fire me but I was already gone.
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:03 PM

my 2014 F350, 6.7L is deleted, at 50,000, didnt look back.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:26 PM

$10,000 fine in Wisconsin
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
The DOC, DPF, and NOX systems are okay when they work,.but when they don't, they're nothing but an expensive headache

This is the first good thing I've heard of to go with the delete. Most guys I see do it b/c they have a red butt over having to use DEF fluid. I've got 100,000 on my 6.7 now and haven't had any trouble. I had a DEF heater or sensor or something go bad and it was like $1200 to have replaced at the dealer. Last I knew thats about what a "delete" cost. I probably should have done it instead of fixing it but it just seemed to me keeping it factory would be the better way to go by not askng too much of it and having less problems in the future. Now if these systems are acting up and need work all the time then I could see doing it. Granted you said it happens off roading. I'm pretty easy on my truck and that really hasn't been an issue for me.

Another thing I am struggling with and you're in the same boat Finster. Your trucks never been worth more than it is right now. Shop around and try to buy a truck just like yours. You'll be surprised at what they are selling for. I just can't pull the trigger. In theory I should sell now and buy another one in a year or two when they come down but then I have to pony up for another one too. Its a battle I've been talking with myself about. lol.
Posted By: WBG

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:35 PM

I have a 2011 250 it has been a great truck except for the def. system, have replaced every component. If I could do over I would delete.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:40 PM

If a mechanic gets caught deleting a truck by a Federal alphabet agency they will ruin his life.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Loosegoose you are the man that might be able to answer a question I have had. There are guys all over Texas who claim they can "bullet-proof" any of the Fords product line (diesel) .

They tell me almost no one will have it done to a truck until it is outside of its warranty, but that most of their customers say "Now I have a truck worth owning, I wish I had brought it to you on day 1"

Do you beleive these guys can do it that well or are they talkin smack?

The Ford 6.0 engines were garbage, and "bulletproofing" them typically involves Felpro head gaskets, ARP head studs, aftermarket oil cooler and EGR cooler, and coolant filter. I replaced more 6.0 head gaskets than I care to think about, and typically oil coolers were done at the same time, so it's probably worth it if you're already doing the repair. I don't know what's involved with bulletproofing a 6.4 or 6.7.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 02:54 PM

Thanks I appreciated you responding. Like you, I don't know exactly what they would do with the 6.4s or 7s, I got butt hurt pullin' the cab off a 250 to replace something and have since laid off the Fords.
Posted By: yote_trapper20

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 03:11 PM

May be harder to find someone or the components needed to delete. As mentioned previously the EPA has really cracked down on it going as far as busting/raiding shops. I don’t know how hard or scarce the labor or components could be. Maybe it’s a non issue.
Posted By: bass10

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by WBG
I have a 2011 250 it has been a great truck except for the def. system, have replaced every component. If I could do over I would delete.

2012 250 here, same as above, replaced every component and the heater twice. Had another big repair and said I'm done. Deleted everything and never looked back, drives nicer, better gas mileage and the cost to delete was slightly higher than the def repair would have been. Total joke.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 03:24 PM

I've an 08 Dodge 6.7 and I deleted it 120,000 ago. Drove it for about a month after I got it (bought used) to make sure there were no issues, then deleted. This was before Dodge ran the DEF. Gained about 5-6 mpg and runs cooler and smooth as can be. Minor glitch in the reprograming system I used (cheapest EFILive) and when you put the cruise on it will throw a EXH full code on the overhead, but you just punch the button to get rid of it (or not, and stare at it) it doesn't affect it running any.

Newer rigs they have improved the emissions and DEF systems over what they were, cause less problems and get better fuel mileage, so there are less benefits to a Delete. No detriments I've ever heard of though except in places where you need inspections. A diesel with delete on it around here is much more valuable when you want to sell it used than one with the emissions intact.

Cost me about $600 and less than an hours labor that I did myself. Like I said though, mine was simple without a DEF system.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
If a mechanic gets caught deleting a truck by a Federal alphabet agency they will ruin his life.

Canada used to be a good place to get DEF deletes.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 07:15 PM

DEF is the devil. It’s ruined diesel motors IMO. I have to deal with them all the time on tractors, feed trucks, pickups , harvest equipment and loaders. I believe a big thank you goes out to Bush for giving into the tree huggers on this one. I needed and drove a diesel pickup for 15 years because I had lots of idle hours while working on wells. Now they warn you not to let them idle. Needless to say I gave up 5 years ago and switched to gas. I’ll be riding a horse again if AOC has her way sick
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/26/21 08:06 PM

This is why my newest diesel truck is a 99 whistle
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/27/21 12:11 AM

I did my duramax and doubled the fuel economy and a lot more power. Paid for itself in fuel the first year
Posted By: cmj

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/27/21 01:29 AM

If your warranty is up, Ill give the next guy that calls me your #.

If you can get it inspected then delete it. Just dont put big stupid looking stacks on it and blow black smoke all over. If it looks somewhat stock no one will bother you. Mine is pre emissions and straight piped with injectors and a chip. Never had any issues with the epa. But it looks like a beat up old truck with a ladder rack on it. THe emissions crap will just cost you $.

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/27/21 03:26 PM

Well, a $438 dealer scam to "fix" my truck. Good grief, dealers SUCK. My "warrantee" payed a whopping $58 what a scam.
Posted By: WBG

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/27/21 03:31 PM

What component?

Re: Diesel Delete or not to delete? - 07/27/21 03:33 PM

#1 sensor, bank 1 low temp.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums