Home

Treat new traps question

Posted By: coonman220

Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 02:11 PM

I got dz new 110 an long stands , not a big deal an plan paint camo flat brown, not go put lot effort into it but just paint over factory oil not problem or would go carwash an power wash first make any difference ? Next year after use , I would dip
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 02:13 PM

Take the oil off or the paint wont stick.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 02:14 PM

I would put them in a bucket with some dish soap or some kind of degreaser to get the oil off, but I wouldn’t bother going all the way to the car wash with them
Posted By: k snow

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Take the oil off or the paint wont stick.

x2

Just run em in the dishwasher.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 02:52 PM

For new traps - I use gas and a brush to remove most of the factory oil, then soak them for a couple days in dawn, before rinsing to finish up.....Flame away at me on the dangers of using gas, Lol.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 04:04 PM

No flames around gas!

I haven't used it to clean traps, but I use it to clean about everything else greasy. Always have gas around when I am doing wheel bearings and whatnot. Works as good as any other solvent, and trust me, most other solvents are just as flammable and produce just as many vapors as gas.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 04:42 PM

Be me, I'd decrease ( I would t paint but nothing against it) and wax. My wax is pretty black from adding some black wax and black residue from dying.

Never would I dip, but like the painting, that's a personal preference.

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 07:48 PM

Would wand it power wash do anything ? Not wash truck weeks, I could end week, I have paint few new traps before, last year was 2- no. 5s, work ok but not best job
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by coonman220
Would wand it power wash do anything ? Not wash truck weeks, I could end week, I have paint few new traps before, last year was 2- no. 5s, work ok but not best job

As long as you power wash with soap. Just water will be hard to take off factory grease/oil

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/26/21 09:38 PM

So it was posted , it work to just let soak in 5 gallon bucket of cold water for couple days an rinse after with how much dish detergent ? Supposed soak my dirty clothes an arm protecters in soap water an then wash but I just wash every other day from metal work, don't bother pre soak or have time mess it

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 12:29 AM

Would just cold water an dish detergent soak for 2 days work ?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 12:57 AM

.... as mentioned before... do you have a dishwashing machine and the soap that goes in it ? ... run them through that thing once with soap... then once with straight water... treat them however you want after that

You’re alright ol hand ... it’s just that your head is so hard a wildcat can’t even scratch it lol

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 01:49 AM

No dishwasher

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 01:50 AM

No dishwasher
Posted By: k snow

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 01:51 AM

No dishwasher

Then go to the carwash, soap the heck out of them and spray them off.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 02:27 AM

No dishwasher

What you ought to do is ... take up with an ol lonely gal that lives in town and provide services in exchange for dishwashing machine privileges... then leave her missing you during trappin season. Who knows... it could blossom into something more permanent than coon grease on a fleshing beam
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 12:55 PM

2 parts water to 1 part vinegar, then garden hose
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
No dishwasher

What you ought to do is ... take up with an ol lonely gal that lives in town and provide services in exchange for dishwashing machine privileges... then leave her missing you during trappin season. Who knows... it could blossom into something more permanent than coon grease on a fleshing beam

I thought you were going to say, leave her with no dishwasher

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 02:09 PM

So soak in cold water with detergent for 2 days wouldn't work ? Years ago I used buy vinegar an muritia. acid , not go bother with it for 110 s, a dz, if was canine traps it be different , just wonder as not go make 10 Mile round trip to car wash even
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 02:10 PM

Lets get this perfectly right now.........
Posted By: possum63

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 02:14 PM

Dave, please let us know how they turn out after you soak them in cold water and detergent for 2 days
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 02:20 PM

This makes for good comical reading but I’ve stroked my last key.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 05:21 PM

How hard would it be to just fill up your kitchen sink with hot water and some Dawn dish soap, then wash your traps after they have soaked for a while? OR......check the archives for answers about cleaning traps.
Posted By: run

Re: Treat new traps question - 07/27/21 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
How hard would it be to just fill up your kitchen sink with hot water and some Dawn dish soap, then wash your traps after they have soaked for a while? OR......check the archives for answers about cleaning traps.

That's a boring solution. I have no doubt that it would work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums