Home

Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting

Posted By: mad_mike

Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 04:00 PM

I am set to be hunting mule deer near Buffalo in mid October this year. I have a couple extra days to burn and tried to research bird hunting in the region, with poor results.
Any of you all know of an outfit near that area? I was planning to bring guns and my carcass so I would need a dog and local knowledge.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 04:06 PM

You may get some goose hunting in but I'm not aware of much as far as game birds in Wyoming.

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 04:11 PM

Thanks Gary.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 04:46 PM

I love bird hunting in Wyoming. I was always south and west of you but had some great sage grouse hunts. I hunted north of Rawlings for a few years. If the area you are hunting in has sage then it might have grouse. If it’s grassland then sharpies. They used to have a 24 hour small game license that was dirt cheap. I’d bring my shotgun

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
I love bird hunting in Wyoming. I was always south and west of you but had some great sage grouse hunts. I hunted north of Rawlings for a few years. If the area you are hunting in has sage then it might have grouse. If it’s grassland then sharpies. They used to have a 24 hour small game license that was dirt cheap. I’d bring my shotgun

Thank you.
A double gun case is not a significant inconvenience compared to a single case.

I can’t pack the local knowledge or the dog. And, time is a constraint.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 05:21 PM

sage grouse season will be over sharptail huns and will be open there is a game bird farm in Ucross that has pheasant put and take.

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 05:26 PM

Thanks Danvee
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 07:15 PM

As Danvee stated,and there is blue grouse on the mountain too, and those are the better eating birds. grin
Posted By: danvee

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/26/21 11:07 PM

Bird hunting including grouse will be tough this year no moisture coyotes are having a tough time

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/27/21 02:39 AM

Thanks guys!
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/27/21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Bird hunting including grouse will be tough this year no moisture coyotes are having a tough time

dido here in ND.. dry as dry can be.

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/27/21 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701
Originally Posted by danvee

dido here in ND.. dry as dry can be.

Figures.
Checking in with a couple outfits near the area I mentioned. You guys, I appreciate the feedback, even if it’s not what I want to hear.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/27/21 04:39 PM

There is a verity of birds in WY. Chuker, huns, pheasant, blue and ruffed grouse, sage grouse, and sharptails. Populations seem to be lower than in the past.

But you wont be far from MT, might be worth checking that out

Posted By: wytex

Re: Wyoming Upland Bird Hunting - 07/27/21 10:07 PM

Folded Hills ranch does bird hunts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums