Home

Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !!

Posted By: jbyrd63

Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/26/21 06:28 PM

Ok My wife and I just put up some corn in the freezer. I have seen cutters and never found one that worked or didn't waste tons of the juice / kernel. YOU HAVE to see this in action. Click on the link and at the bottom watch the video. My wife timed me and it took me 13 minutes to cut and scrap 4 dozen ears. 48 cobs cut off and finished. I bought a new 5 gal bucket from lowes and washed it out with dishwashing liquid. IT IS UNREAL . Helping my mom put up 12 dozen next week so I had to find something.

https://www.amazon.com/Kernel-Kutte...orn+cutter&qid=1627323829&sr=8-4
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/26/21 09:24 PM

Do you cook it before you use the cutter? If not then you save a lot of time. I cook mine in a 30 qt container on my turkey fryer. I can get about 40 big ears in or 4 dozen of the smaller ones. I boil for 15-20 minutes and it takes a good 15 minutes to get boiling and then 15 minutes of hosing with cold water to cool enough to handle, so that is an hour. I use a knife and a cutting board and I can cut 3-4 ears a minutes easily so the machine is not any faster from the cutting aspect, just a lot more time getting there.

Bryce
Posted By: Owen

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/26/21 09:30 PM

I use something similar to this. It’s called a Esau corn cutter and is mounted on a square bucket. Super fast for sure.

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/26/21 09:33 PM

Trust me it's faster !!!! My wife would grab the cleaned cob and I reversed the drill she tossed it in bucket all the while handing me another one . Screw it on and rip done. I was a lot faster than that guy in video. No way some one could do 48 ears in less than 15 minutes TIMED !! That's cutting and scraping I cook it after it's cut 20 minutes at a simmer place pan in sink with ice water then bag or carton .

IF they did I bet their fingers and wrist would be a lot more painful than mine .
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/26/21 09:35 PM

Thanks, I'm buying one, putting up peaches and cream sweet corn right now.
Posted By: ack

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/27/21 12:05 AM

Here is how we have done it for years.
Hot water in the cooler. Add corn and let set for 30 minutes or more. Trim about a half inch on the big end. Slit the husk a bit. Install lag screw. Pinch and pull husk.
Spin the ear to throw off any remaining silk.
This video is several years old. Guess we need to make a better quality take but you should.get the drift.

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/27/21 06:09 AM

That’s the same cutter I was using !! Thanks for posting I videoed it but don’t know how to post
Posted By: run

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/27/21 05:05 PM

I think my family uses one like that too.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/27/21 05:22 PM

I tried it and yes it cut the corn off super fast but I didn't like the end product as it was torn up small pieces mostly and not the big whole kernels you get with a sharp thin blade knife and a bunt cake pan to hold the end of the cob and catch the kernels.

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/27/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I tried it and yes it cut the corn off super fast but I didn't like the end product as it was torn up small pieces mostly and not the big whole kernels you get with a sharp thin blade knife and a bunt cake pan to hold the end of the cob and catch the kernels.

Don't know what you did different or if you had the same one but as you can tell mine cut almost the entire kernel. My mom called it whole kernel . I opened one of the containers that was already frozen to show you how big they are.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 01:07 PM

I have tried most of those gizmos,,and have decided the best thing for doing corn is an electric fillet knife.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
I have tried most of those gizmos,,and have decided the best thing for doing corn is an electric fillet knife.

grin
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 02:12 PM

you can get them cheap here

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/co...UpKvuIb8FH8H8V53v7PEOjOZk6hoC0MMQAvD_BwE

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 02:13 PM

do you use an electric knife to get the corn off?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner

do you use an electric knife to get the corn off?

Yep.
[Linked Image]

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 03:57 PM

nice...I have a ton to freeze now. Waiting on a cooler day to do it

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 07/28/21 03:59 PM

I have grown this variety for years and it's amazing. Two passes of glyphosate when young to keep th weeds at bay. No insecticides needed.

https://www.seminis-us.com/product/sv9010sa/968
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 08/25/21 12:43 PM

The things you learn on the trapping board!! We did four bushel of sweet corn last week using this cutter and it was far superior to cutting with a knife.. We didn't use a drill. I simply built a jig out of wood to hold the cutter over a bucket, cut a slot on the open end so the device could flex as needed and wrapped three heavy rubber bands around the operating end to supply force and keep the cutter tight to the cob.. Ran the blanched and cooled ears through by hand. Two passes per cob and they were clean!! Far faster than using the drill and just as effective.. I stole the jig and rubber band idea from other folks on youtube.. Highly recommend this product and many thanks to the OP for sharing this info..
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 08/25/21 12:52 PM

Nice! I like the fact that the Kernel Kutter is made in USA as well!!!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 08/25/21 02:28 PM

Just heard of a method using a Bundt pan, boil the corn then run it through the pans hole, upside down, the corn collects in the bowl of the pan, you mount it over a spaclkle bucket and the cobs go through into the pail...

Nope, never tried it but it had rave reviews from folks that did.

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 08/25/21 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by gcs
Just heard of a method using a Bundt pan, boil the corn then run it through the pans hole, upside down, the corn collects in the bowl of the pan, you mount it over a spaclkle bucket and the cobs go through into the pail...

Nope, never tried it but it had rave reviews from folks that did.

Yes that works but you have to have bigger pans than if you cook it after you cut it. PLUS every one in my clan that will do this has arthritis in the hands . Pushing it thru the bundt pan will hurt the wrist BAD !
Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Re: Just cut off some corn 1 Best tool ever !! - 08/25/21 03:39 PM

LAST YEAR I DID 242 ears by my self in 8 hrs using a tool just like the poster posted
i blanched before cutting
© 2024 Trapperman Forums