Home

It's that time of year!

Posted By: hippie

It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 04:34 PM

Time for putting corn up that is. Who all is at it??

[Linked Image]

When the kids were at home, we would do 20-25 dozen a year. We'd take a day and get a kettle out and do the whole batch. Now that it's just the woman and I, around 8 dozen do us.
When we feel like having corn with supper, we stop where we see an Amish kid selling and buy a couple dozen and put up what The extra we wern't eating that night.
3-4 times like that and we're good.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 05:03 PM

Just started putting up some corn too. We blanch it then cut it off the cob and mix it with diced up jalapenos. "Mexicorn" is one of our favorites

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 05:07 PM

That sounds good, I never thought of doing that.

Yep, we blanch and put in bags. Smaller bags than years past, down to quarter gallon and we put water in to keep it from freezer burn. Same with fish we put up, cover with water.
Posted By: run

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 05:09 PM

We did ours last week.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 05:15 PM

Didn't do my corn yet but did can 24 pints of beans.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 05:53 PM

I am waiting for my second planting to produce and will can a bunch of that. Got the beans almost done. Another 4 gallons or so and they'll be through for this year. Not sure how many beans I have canned and frozen, but it should last us two till next harvest. Surplus will go to the church food pantry.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 06:02 PM

Looks good, racer man ! grin

I think you live amongst the nicest parts of the country for growing great corn and other produce. Those long warm summer nights. And the Amish I'm sure add to all that bounty.

I sure love the farmer's markets to get fresh produce, honey, etc. Fun to browse, see the set-ups and smell the fresh sweet corn.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 06:06 PM

The Amish spoil us here Sharon, that's for sure. Bought a Cantaloupe and watermelon off the girl too.

Scuba, when did your first batch come on? The stores here import southern corn about a month earlier than local comes on

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 06:12 PM

Hippie I just ate the last of it yesterday ..... Tassels were out just over a month ago I think. The little ones that are left I'll pick for the chickens. they like fresh corn, then run it over with the brush hog and disk it in. In this plot I just have some beans and tater still to harvest. Then I'll have to think what to put on it as a cover crop and when to plant it ....... ohh and harvest the fourth bumper crop of rocks for this season. I should build my house our of rocks instead of wood as I seem to grow a bunch of them in my vegetable patches.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 06:44 PM

I like to eat the corn off the cob, my wife always cuts it off for her meal. I was really surprised how big of a pile of corn one ear makes, it wouldn't take very many ears of corn to fill a quart bag.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 09:27 PM

Little ahead of ya down here. We did that over a month ago. Our's makes earlier.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 09:34 PM

Ours will probably start popping on it's own!

Yours looks Great!
Posted By: BigJoe.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 09:53 PM

We put up 25 pints last year, this year we will be doing 50. The corn here is not ready yet, close, but not yet.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/27/21 09:56 PM

Early corn here started a couple weeks ago but August is the norm. Labor day is pretty much the end of it.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 02:16 AM

I got mine in late, June 17th. Doing great, but it’ll be September before it’s ready.
Posted By: Bob

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 03:26 AM

No corn here, but I pickled six pints of hot peppers today. I expect to have around 30 pints of peppers and 60 pounds of green beans put up all said and done. Tomatoes, who knows. Plants are big and beautiful and have a million blooms but are struggling to set fruit. I think the heat has something to do with it but I’m no master gardener. Can’t seem to get my cukes to set female flowers, squashes just straight up aren’t growing for some reason lol. Peppers and beans are going nuts though. I’ll get the hang of this gardening thing eventually.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 04:09 AM

Just blanched some cubed Zucchini and cooled in an ice bath ….then froze the pieces in a pan….then took those frozen nuggets and bagged them in the vacuum sealer bags.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by hippie
Time for putting corn up that is. Who all is at it??

[Linked Image]

When the kids were at home, we would do 20-25 dozen a year. We'd take a day and get a kettle out and do the whole batch. Now that it's just the woman and I, around 8 dozen do us.
When we feel like having corn with supper, we stop where we see an Amish kid selling and buy a couple dozen and put up what The extra we wern't eating that night.
3-4 times like that and we're good.

Hippie…whats your put up method ? Thanks
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 04:52 AM

Did about 200 ears a few weeks back.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Did about 200 ears a few weeks back.

7.50 dozen …here

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 10:42 AM

Dang, 7.50 a dozen? Can get 2 dozen for that here.

We blanch it.....boil for 5-7 minutes remove to ice water and when cooled down, cut from cob. Put in zip lock bags. We put enough water in bag with it to cover the corn so it doesn't freezer burn.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 12:07 PM

We do like you hippie. Buy a dozen or so off the Amish. What we don't eat that night gets put up.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic
We do like you hippie. Buy a dozen or so off the Amish. What we don't eat that night gets put up.

No Amish up here in NH….well, I haven’t seen any up here since 1968… when we moved here.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Dang, 7.50 a dozen? Can get 2 dozen for that here.

We blanch it.....boil for 5-7 minutes remove to ice water and when cooled down, cut from cob. Put in zip lock bags. We put enough water in bag with it to cover the corn so it doesn't freezer burn.

Them Amish would be rich up here !!

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 01:38 PM

Ours is anywhere from $3.50-$5.00/ dozen.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by elkaholic

No Amish up here in NH….well, I haven’t seen any up here since 1968… when we moved here.

No whoopie pies then??

Yep Elk, 4.50 is the most I paid a couple weeks ago but now that more is around, they're starting to undercut each other and 3.50 is the going rate.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 01:57 PM

No shortage on Whoopie Pies here….

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 01:59 PM

I could use an Amish shed for my riding lawn mower and other things….maybe trade them some .22’s and black powdah !

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 03:44 PM

Like these Nessy? 1/2 mile from my house.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

From Amish phone booth size up to 2 buggy size. I thought I had the phone booth in the pic but just a little of it on the right side of the pic by the electric meter on the pole.

Them took the woman for some veggies I forgot to get her yesterday.

[Linked Image]
The mutt is keeping an eye on her!

Jars of honey for sale too.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 05:36 PM

Hippie .... what is that vechile you are driving ..... a UPS van ??

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 05:43 PM

Nope, Scuba but kinda. lol

Moons ago my dad had us kids delivering newspapers on a big scale. He bought these step-vans because they could haul and keep them dry. My mom would also take one full of papers and sit at the "square" in Mifflintown and sell out of it.

Anyhow, he bought two of these new after a coup!e used ones wore out. The one I have is the first new one he bought and the other was sold.

[Linked Image]

Best pic I have right now. Its a '76.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 06:42 PM

I wish it was just the sweet corn, wow with the heat we have had, almost every crop is 1-3 weeks ahead of normal for our area. Corn, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, early cabbage are all being processed now along with raspberries. At least the peas and strawberries are done. The 2nd planting of radishes, lettuce all bolted after the heavy rain and hot weather.

Bryce
Posted By: eric space

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 11:03 PM

Started on it today, will freeze up about 150 pounds. Blanch and cut off cob with a sharp knife. I have tried many of the gizmos made to take the corn off the cob but they all take too much of the bottom of the kernel and that gives it a cobby taste. With a knife I take about 2/3 of the kernel, my chickens love the rest.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/28/21 11:05 PM

[quote=elkaholic]We do like you hippie.
And so do I lol

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/29/21 01:29 AM

Hippy….the Amish have good deals on like a 10x12 shed ?
Posted By: run

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/29/21 12:03 PM

Hippie, I can't believe you keep the step van running. Good for you.

Re: It's that time of year! - 07/30/21 01:38 AM

I just watched a video a friend has of him, his dad, mom, and his 2 brothers doing putting up corn. They use bundt pans. They have 2 guys feeding 6 turkey fryers with corn, and then putting them in coolers with ice water. Two guys pushing the cobs through the hole in the bundt pans that are on a table with holes for the cobs to fall through. His mom is bagging and emptying the cobs from the buckets under the table. He said they can put up about 48 dozen ears of corn fairly quick once they get going.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums