Home

New trapping truck options

Posted By: Wolfdog91

New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 08:51 PM

If you guy where going to buy a new or used truck for trapping what would you recommend. Want something that's cheap to work on and upgraded. Looking into a Tacoma but not sure.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 09:08 PM

I picked up a 21 Tacoma TRD off rd with a manual trans. It's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. I wanted a used one but prices were ridiculous so I just got a brand new one.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 09:57 PM

https://www.4are.com/product/3dl/
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
If you guy where going to buy a new or used truck for trapping what would you recommend. Want something that's cheap to work on and upgraded. Looking into a Tacoma but not sure.

Yep Tacoma is #1 trapping truck
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 10:04 PM

This is what I just bought

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 11:25 PM

You ain't gonna get that dirty are ya Danny? laugh
Posted By: DWC

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/27/21 11:36 PM

Problem with toyota, especially in todays truck world, is the cost of used. You can possibly find akmething u der 8-10k, if you dont mind the frame rotting. Maybe theyre different where youre located. If just roadtrapping im holding out for an s10 or ranger. If in hittin the fields, i just got a tundra with 10 plys ill feel comfortable in.

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 12:46 AM

Its dirty now Gary Im putting in isome long days. Its going to be dirty awhile
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 01:45 AM

its hard to beat a small Toyota if you can find a good one to buy. People hate to part with a good one. Good gas millage which is important. If you find something you could run it by on here and get an opinion.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 03:47 AM

Never buy new.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 06:08 AM

I had a Nisan Pathfinder that seemed nearly unstoppable. Used to be able to find them as reasonable prices.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Never buy new.

With the used car and truck market the way it is right now, you are way better off to buy new if you can find one. Just traded trucks and picking it up tomorrow. Went from a 2018 GMC crew cab with 57000 thousand on it, to a 2021 Chevy Trail Boss. Traded for 8700$ difference. Had to pretty much buy the truck while it was in shipment to the dealership. Hard to find a new vehicle right now on a lot because of chip shortages. They will give you premium prices for low mileage used cars and trucks just to put something on the lot to sell. The dealership is actually doing pretty well because they are not paying the manufacturer a lug every month for each new vehicle setting on their lot. You are better off to buy new instead of used right now.

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 10:58 AM

Even in a normal year unless you like a different vehicle every couple years, buying new and driving it till there is nothing left to bolt parts on to is in IMO the cheapest way to go.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 11:45 AM

Toyotas are really hard to beat. I've said it a thousand times for trapping I've never found anything that can take the abuse. I ran through a number of trucks over a three year period trying to replace a Toyota that lasted me 16 years. Especially where you are you won't have to worry about the rusting issues that come with them. In my opinion that's about the only downfall of owning one up north you've got to keep them clean or you won't have a frame.

I haven't owned a new vehicle in my life, generally nothing that's not at least five years old. I prefer to pay cash and not have a payment. With my credit and the current state of things I took out a loan. 2.99% is really hard to beat for interest. My credit runs around 750-805 not too shabby for a younger guy. If you're going to buy something new now is the time to do it. I still didn't buy brand new but I did buy a truck that's about 2 years old. My 2001 Chevy was flashing check engine and the tranny was slipping. They still gave me $5000 on a trade. That's crazy to me but I wasn't going to argue with them. The problem with owning a newer truck is I don't think I can bring myself to beat it up like I want to. Probably going to stick to calling this year. I still have a 2014 Jeep I use for my daily commute so buying a beater truck isn't in the cards right now. I have no doubt this thing would tear it up I just want to put some miles on her. 20,000 miles and I talked them down from 39,000 to $33,500 and got the $5,000 trade in. It was too good of a deal to turn down. I was looking at a Toyota in the same price range in the Tacoma and same mileage. They wouldn't budge on the price.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/28/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
This is what I just bought

[Linked Image]

My wife bought that same thing last fall.Same color too.She traded in her Cadillac towards it.She had had Caddys,,Lincolns,,Park Avenues,,you name it.She says the Jeep is the most favorite vehicle she ever had.Espacialy in winter.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 12:25 AM

Does any of them even make a regular pick up truck anymore? Dang city folks done ruint em about as bad as with carhartt bibs.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 12:56 AM

I know quite a few people with Toyotas and they all swear by them. But for some reason every time I show up at any of their house they're fixing something on them...
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 12:59 AM

Buy a new Tacoma. Enjoy it 225,000 to 250,000 miles then sell it to a kid for a great first truck.

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 01:00 AM

No Pete, I dont believe they do
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
I know quite a few people with Toyotas and they all swear by them. But for some reason every time I show up at any of their house they're fixing something on them...

Yeah that's currently me crazy
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 01:20 AM

Toyotas are hard to beat -- I have loved every one that my dad and i have owned. That being said I have not been overly disappointed with my dodge dakota -- except for the fuel consumption. Dads 2008 only 125000 miles still gets 26 or so -- my 2001 dakota -- 12 or so ( i know 4 cyl manuel vs. 8 cyl automatic).
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 03:56 AM

If you go Tacoma no need to go with the higher end models unless you want the crawl control options, stripes and hood scoop bling. My 2018 is a tank it will do well in the snow and mud. Tacoma’s with the off-road package are 4 wheel drive with a locking rear end, mine is at least.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New trapping truck options - 07/29/21 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Barnhurst
Buy a new Tacoma. Enjoy it 225,000 to 250,000 miles then sell it to a kid for a great first truck.

I sold my last one an 04 sr5 with 22re with around 300 k miles on it. I drove it 7 years and used it like a 4 wheeler, daily driver and a one ton. I was younger and didn't know better but pulled trailers some max speed was 45mph on the flat, 12,000lbs of scrap, and trailers of hay that took getting the truck rolling in 4 low.

Yes I worked on it occasionally but it was a hard used machine and machines wear out parts. By far the best money I have ever spent on a vehicle. It paid for it's self using it on side jobs many times over.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums