Home

Wood for hoops?

Posted By: DaveP

Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 08:54 PM

Had a guy tell me to cut tulip poplar saplings in July for beaver hoops, said they'd bend better that time of year.
Cut a few the other day, couple sweet gum too, as they were growing right there.
Peeled, tried to bend, split and snap.
Tried to.benf around a drum, split and snapped.

Guess I could steam, etc, but starting to sound like work.

Suggestions?
thanks
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 08:58 PM

I cut red willow from along a local stream in March. Scraped off bark, and bent them into hoop shape and held them together with wire. After a few weeks, they were dry, and you couldn’t have unbent them if you tried.
Posted By: Massac

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 09:25 PM

I've had the best luck with sweet gums. Cut during the height of summer they seemed to bend best.

I bend a little at a time and tie it off, then do more each day until you have to shape. Takes 2-3 days to get them bent good. I also don't strip the bark off
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
I cut red willow from along a local stream in March. Scraped off bark, and bent them into hoop shape and held them together with wire. After a few weeks, they were dry, and you couldn’t have unbent them if you tried.

I don't know what red willow is but i suspect it is the bush type willow common to PA, the silky willow. It likes to grow in wet areas and around beaver dams.

I do the same as you except I don't remove the bark.

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Massac
I've had the best luck with sweet gums. Cut during the height of summer they seemed to bend best.

I bend a little at a time and tie it off, then do more each day until you have to shape. Takes 2-3 days to get them bent good. I also don't strip the bark off

Thanks.
No shortage of them out back.
Will cut a few more Saturday and take it SLOW this time.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 11:27 PM

Tamarack is used here.Tamarack grows very thick as a sapling in certain places.it will be 10-12 feet long and the same thickness all the way up-3/4 to 1 inch.
Bark is left on and two are used for each hoop to get a perfect oval
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 11:36 PM

SWAMP WILLOW FOR ME CUT THEM IN MONTHS WITHOUT A " R" IN THE SPELLING WILL PEEL RIGHT OFF AND WILL NOT BREAK TAKE YOUR TIME BENDING THEM . LOOK AT MY POST TODAY HOOPED A MARTEN

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/28/21 11:56 PM

Thanks to all, will give it another go.
Posted By: Massac

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/29/21 04:18 AM

A thing to add, I had previously said I always use sweet gum.. I also always cut a lot more than what I actually need because I still have them snap and crack, and just sometimes they won't end up bending into the desired shape.

But to connect the ends together and secure the hoop, I'll put a screw into it to hold it together, cut any remaining screw that may remain, and then cover the screw with a wrapping of sinew to make it look like sinew is what's doing the securing
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Wood for hoops? - 07/30/21 04:14 PM

"What" and "How" are two different questions... wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums