Home

Muskrat Lure

Posted By: 330 Belisle

Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:21 AM

I've tried everything under the sun, including muskrat glands. What your favorite thing ( Lure) to spice things up besides Carrots, Corn, Apple or Potato?
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:34 AM

Lenon's: Muskrat Super All Call. Can buy it from Minnesota Trapline Products right at the top of this page!

Chris
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:37 AM

R&M Lures Rat Raider is great stuff.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Lenon's: Muskrat Super All Call. Can buy it from Minnesota Trapline Products right at the top of this page!

Chris

Good stuff!!!!!!

Positive sets….
Posted By: rattrapper1234

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:01 AM

Rennos marsh rat on a scent mound
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:55 AM

X3 on the Lenon's super all call!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:58 AM

I put about 2 ounces each of sweet flag, cherry, moonshine and melt down some cheap mint type hard candy and add some fish oil to make a quart. Good for coons too. I only use rat lure on my river line and shelf type feed beds. I have never used bait other then in body grippers under the ice for rats.

Bryce
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 04:01 AM

Hard to beat Lenon's. Been a proven rat lure for years.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 05:15 AM

Don't sell your rat lure short boss. I have used your lure and lennons side by side and see no difference.

Popular bud oil Is very good along with Hudson seal. Not sure you can even get Hudson's seal anymore.
Posted By: Waz

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 01:02 PM

Backwater baits is handling Maraks of Iowa lure. I use #2 Rat early season, then #4 mid December through the end of season in the marshes and ditches. Some guys swear by just throwing some bottom debris on the side of a hut, but I like the lure to draw them to the set location by the sheen on the water. I didn't get that with some other lures out there. Good luck.
Waz
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 01:10 PM

I don't trap a lot of rats but the lure I use when I do is Lennon's and Dobbin's. Go every other set hop scotch the two.

Mac
Posted By: Peskyvarments

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 01:21 PM

Stake those rat traps well coon are very enterested, Hudson seal for me.
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 01:47 PM

Lenons
Carmans Hudson Seal
R & M’s rat raider
All are excellent
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 01:55 PM

Not to hijack the post...but does a commercial rat lure actually improve catch success? I ask this in honest ignorance as I have barely used it (primarily use colony traps) and when I did I just found it to be a raccoon collector.
Is there a time of year it's more effective? Are they as lure responsive as beaver?
For the record, I have tried bread and butter from MTP and a Hawbakers rat lure only so very little experience with lure as noted above
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Waz
Backwater baits is handling Maraks of Iowa lure. I use #2 Rat early season, then #4 mid December through the end of season in the marshes and ditches. Some guys swear by just throwing some bottom debris on the side of a hut, but I like the lure to draw them to the set location by the sheen on the water. I didn't get that with some other lures out there. Good luck.
Waz

Backwater Baits make a lot of great lures and baits. Bruce and his staff are great people to do business with too.

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:35 PM

So the rat trapper sets ONE trap at a toilet and ONE trap at a feed bed. But We all know that there are more then ONE rat using those spots. So I make at least 2 lured sets close to those toilets and feed beds. So the rat trapper making one set Is only catching ONE rat while the beav may be catching 3 rats.
Same with trapping huts. WE all set that one trap at the pull outs on the house. But I'm going to make at least 2 or 3 lured sets + the pull out on that house. 4 rats are better then 1.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:36 PM

Any of Carmans lures are top notch. I just wish it was offered in a 4 oz jar.

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 02:49 PM

To me rat lure shines open water hut trapping on the 3rd and 4th night.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:37 PM

Not bad mouthing anybody's rat lure because all I've ever used was Lenons,coons love it too
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:41 PM

CHEAP apple scented hair conditioner works great too.
I do like my Lennons though....
Posted By: HILLTOP TRAPPER

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 03:42 PM

all ive ever tried is anise oil,but when i do set a hut if its big enough it gets 3 traps at least
Posted By: camlock

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 05:04 PM

Lennon's muskrat super all call. Best I have used. Right about the coons. They are attracted to it also.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Muskrat Lure - 07/31/21 11:43 PM

This is from my experience. When setting marshes or sloughs with houses, feed beds etc. I use no lure at all. If I have a very large feed bed or I can see several worked spots at the base of the house or structure I set more traps.
When trapping on my small river (wadable) I have some unique features due to the geography. Reed canary grass was planted in the 30's 40's and 50's to control erosion along our streams here. The canary grass creates bunches of roots right below the soil surface and are quite shallow due to the fact canary grass is a wetland type grass. The bank underneath that root clump erodes out and one gets shelves all along the bank. Depending upon water levels when trapping there maybe shelves that are great rat hangouts and some feeding areas can be 4-8 feet along the bank. Is it at these sites I will stake to set 3 traps that won't touch each other and also use a lure stuck on the bank under the shelf. With that much space the rat can be anywhere, so the lure can get them over my trap when they come. I don't catch more but maybe catch the number I want in say 3 days instead of 4-5 days.
Those shelves are dynamite mink and coon sites too and with lure when you have a coon they blow the whole place up. I set PVC pipes with baits on both ends hoping to catch the coons before getting in there but it is only partially successful. All the other open water sets I use no lure or bait.

Bryce
Posted By: Howell Bros

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 12:00 AM

Trapper Art made a great lure called Muskratter. Not sure if Adam still makes it, but it was deadly on the river. If he doesn't make it anymore his muskateer is an awesome second
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 12:16 AM

I whip up my own with rat glands, a little bit of of castor, anise oil , Everclear and glycerin. Seems to do the job for me.
Posted By: K52

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 12:55 AM

If I use rat lure the coons will either eat the rat or destroy the set & the hut. When I set a hut I might have 5 traps set and connect on all of them the first night. Wish I could use lure but I just scoop a little mud and smear at the set and usually the coons will leave that alone. We are over run with the darn things.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Howell Bros
Trapper Art made a great lure called Muskratter. Not sure if Adam still makes it, but it was deadly on the river. If he doesn't make it anymore his muskateer is an awesome second

Agreed. Muskratter was my favorite during those high priced rat years.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 03:36 AM

I dont trap a lot of rats,and dont use rat lure.I used to use some gland in spring rat trapping back in the day.
I know for a fact that Bob Wilsons green beaver lure attracts rats and the odd otter.No coon here but I bet it attracts them too.

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I dont trap a lot of rats,and dont use rat lure.I used to use some gland in spring rat trapping back in the day.
I know for a fact that Bob Wilsons green beaver lure attracts rats and the odd otter.No coon here but I bet it attracts them too.

Does anyone remember High Karate aftershave? Bob Wilson’s green beaver lure smells very similar for a reason lol
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by claycreech
Originally Posted by Boco

Does anyone remember High Karate aftershave? Bob Wilson’s green beaver lure smells very similar for a reason lol

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/lo-haiku-eau-de-parfum-edp-a-musky-classic

Here you go
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 04:38 PM

Homemade poplar bud oil
Posted By: 080808

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 04:43 PM

Can you share the method for making homemade poplar bud oil?
Thanks
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 05:22 PM

Late spring around here poplar buds are out and sticky and gooey. After a good blow they seem to be on the ground every where. The simplest way to make it is to gather the sticks with buds up and steep in a Crock-Pot with oil.i usually leave them in all day at low. I've used grape seed oil with good results
Originally Posted by 080808
Can you share the method for making homemade poplar bud oil?
Thanks

I first used this as a beaver lure change up and found out my sets kept catching rats

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 05:28 PM

If you have a double boiler use that or just a mason jar placed In hot water.

Pick the buds then place them In the top part of the double boiler or In the mason jar. Then add about a 1/2 cup of olive oil or you can use mineral oil or glycerin oil. Just use enough to coat the buds.
Get the water boiling then place the top of the double boiler in place or place the jar In the water. Cut your heat to a simmer then simmer for about a 1/2 hour. Use use a colander or some cheese cloth to strain off the oil. And your good to go.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 06:44 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Bearguy

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 08:44 PM

I used cherry extract that I bought at the grocery store. Dipped a q-tip in, and jabbed in back of notch in bank. Chunk of carrot wouldn't hurt, but that attracted nutria too.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/01/21 10:01 PM

Hudson seal is a good one.
Posted By: DanN

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/02/21 05:06 AM

The best lure I have found is cheap dollar store spearmint toothpaste. Have caught more on that than any commercial lure , but lenons, and Carmans Hudson seal would be my top 2 choices for commercial lures.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/02/21 01:47 PM

Always thought Hudson Seal shined above the rest when I used to use rat lure. That said I haven't used rat lure in about 8 years and noted my rat catch didn't go down, when I quit using it, but UP....since by the time you apply rat lure to a trap or two, you could have set another trap (or two). Not to mention chasing coon after coon around the marsh with a hunk of rebar or .22. Coon are highly attracted to about any rat lure.... and coon remakes on a rat slough takes up considerable time. That said, coon need managing as well.

The only place I'd use rat lure now is somewhere that is featureless and too difficult of terrain to make a feature. Rats are very curious and will investigate about anything out of the ordinary...especially a hole.

I do like Clays thinking on using it 3 rd of 4th check however (or when you've taken the bulk of the rats). We also know when we've taken the bulk of the rats as mink start showing up in our rat sets.

And as always....To each his/ her own.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/04/21 03:13 PM

My wife enjoys bottling the Muskrat Lure as it smells good and she can bottle at kitchen table while watching the fishing poles.

When I was getting ready for work today she yelled for me to come and see our mink visitor.

Thank you to all that continue to use our Muskrat Lure, we sold out of 4 oz in two days at the NTA show in Iowa.

Asa Lenon is doing great and we visited both before and after the Escanaba, Mi Trapping Show., We always say we are going to lunch and end up on a UP back road some were returning many hours later to take him home. Always puts a smile on his face when I tell him the amount of Muskrat lure we moved. He warns to watch out when the rat prices go up.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/05/21 02:00 AM

Keep bottling John, we love Lennon's all call in SD!
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Muskrat Lure - 08/05/21 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
My wife enjoys bottling the Muskrat Lure as it smells good and she can bottle at kitchen table while watching the fishing poles.

When I was getting ready for work today she yelled for me to come and see our mink visitor.

Thank you to all that continue to use our Muskrat Lure, we sold out of 4 oz in two days at the NTA show in Iowa.

Asa Lenon is doing great and we visited both before and after the Escanaba, Mi Trapping Show., We always say we are going to lunch and end up on a UP back road some were returning many hours later to take him home. Always puts a smile on his face when I tell him the amount of Muskrat lure we moved. He warns to watch out when the rat prices go up.

Awesome!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums