Home

No more bacon in California

Posted By: Cragar

No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 07:49 PM

Glad I don't live in California. I love me some bacon.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/california-pig-rules-bacon-disappear
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:01 PM

I wish this kind of stupidity would just stay in California, but it doesn't.
Posted By: Boco

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:10 PM

You'll still be able to get it from bubba down on the corner in the hood.
Posted By: Marty

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:19 PM

stupid is as stupid does
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:21 PM

A guy could start a pork cartel, only in Cali could you get arrested for selling pork and not for selling drugs or shoplifting. LOL
Posted By: concrete man

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:24 PM

These people will be moving to your state soon bringing that liberal crap with them wondering why our state's are still free then try to fix it with liberal crap till it get bad enough then leave here to.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:53 PM

Farmers better start fighting back instead of pacifing these jerks,you would have thought these national organizations would have learned a lesson or two by now on dealing with them
Posted By: Boco

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 08:55 PM

Farmers will just have to switch to goats.
Should be an increasing demand for those.

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:10 PM

Let Cali starve for all I care they made that mess let them suffer for it like the rest of us. LOL
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:18 PM

Maybe, just maybe, when they wake up and can't get any bacon they will realize what fools they've been and start rejecting some of that nonsense out there. Hopefully this will be going on when the Governor recall election takes place.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:24 PM

Not smart for sure, but if the legislature does allow for pork to enter CA from typical conventional farms it will not have much impact, only pork producers in CA and there are not many pork producers in CA. CA does produce a lot of eggs, but it sounds like the poultry producers have that covered. If this goes through fully it could really create a niche market for about 12 % of the USA which is enough for the industry or new entrants to take a serious look at.

Bryce

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:40 PM

Bacon is on the top of a long list of targets would be my guess with soy and tofu being the safest, you must eat what I eat or it has to be banned! LOL
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:51 PM

I can see a niche market coming to Cali with premium, premium prices. Outside of Cali, as a producer, I would be finding a processor shipping to the other 49 states and the world markets.
Posted By: Spade

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Let Cali starve for all I care they made that mess let them suffer for it like the rest of us. LOL

Agree

It would be easy, just make sure the meat packers are not allowed to send any pork products to Cali, or any meats that have any pork in the ingred. Then when they get tired of eating sea gulls, they might enjoy a BLT
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
I wish this kind of stupidity would just stay in California, but it doesn't.

x2

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 10:25 PM

I can see the Bacon stands just across the border sprouting up, as a kid heading to the UP from Chicago you could not buy margarine in WI so every truck stop gas station or shack on the IL side sold it. We would take a case to relatives in Milwaukee.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 10:54 PM

Our Son Nick and DIL Samantha and Granddaughter Ryatt live in Santa Rosa. Our Son LOVES bacon. I see trouble abrewing!
Posted By: DWC

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by concrete man
These people will be moving to your state soon bringing that liberal crap with them wondering why our state's are still free then try to fix it with liberal crap till it get bad enough then leave here to.

People from CA are flocking here buying houses sight unseen. Theyll flip us eventually
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:11 PM

I can see the Bacon stands just across the border sprouting up, as a kid heading to the UP from Chicago you could not buy margarine in WI so every truck stop gas station or shack on the IL side sold it. We would take a case to relatives in Milwaukee.

I remember my Mom and her friends having a whole system of running "Oleo" from Illinois. A regular cartel of criminals/

Moosetrot
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:24 PM

I think it's adorable that many of you think the pork producers have any say in this at all . When the packers decide to accomidate the cali law they will simply send out an eddict to their producers to either update their facilities or have their contracts canceled .

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:31 PM

A lot of those large hog operations are tied to the packing houses, probably not in the same fashion as NAFA loaning money to producers along with marketing their product but the connections are real and are in many cases controlling many aspects of the production process. Not unlike the US veal operations where the farmers were basically production contractors for the marketing firms. If you ever raised canning vegetables for canning, there are company field persons that monitor your crop that you contracted with and they determine when harvest will take place. They also determine the quality of your product and your rate per lbs. ton etc. that you get paid. Talk to some broiler producers or turkey farmers and ask them how independent they feel they are.

Bryce

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

I remember my Mom and her friends having a whole system of running "Oleo" from Illinois. A regular cartel of criminals/

Moosetrot

When I figured it out I would be looking out for the Cops after that like we all were going to jail. LOL Pretty sure nobody cared.

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:49 PM

For a while after oleo became legal to sell and buy in WI they would sell it in a plastic bag which was that light soybean color with a little bag of coloring inside. When you took it home you would break that seal and massage the coloring into the oleo. They did not want to make it look like butter in the store. After our dairy herd was sold we kept a cow for our milk. It was my job to milk the cow by hand. We would take the cream off the top each day and after about a week we would churn the cream for our butter. Funny that butterfat with no coloring looks the same as the uncolored oleo did and there was no salt in the butter either. Butter is about 88% butter fat and the rest is coloring preservatives and salt.

Bryce
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: No more bacon in California - 07/31/21 11:55 PM

I like how they don’t think the packers can keep the meat separate, it’s done now mainly for drug contamination so if they find drugs in an animal they know which barn to go to and who to fire, also they talk about 15 percent of the pork is ate there and packers can’t ignore them but if the cost is to high they will lower the kill rate and force production to slow.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by concrete man

Yep
Posted By: EdP

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:48 AM

It seems to me that most of the producers will give Ca the middle finger, but others will go after that 15% of the total pork market and pass on the increased cost to their consumers. That is how it should be. Stupidity should cost those that put stupid requirements in place.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot

Moosetrot

Why in the world was oleo banned? LOL

Edit: Ohhhh because of WI being a dairy state I bet.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 09:46 AM

Oleo train to CA will be a bit more complicated. There are produce inspection stations at the border. CA has been ignoring free from unreasonable search for about 100 years. you go through a checkpoint on most highways that cross the state border.
Posted By: run

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Farmers will just have to switch to goats.
Should be an increasing demand for those.

There is plenty of demand for goats and sheep.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 10:45 AM

It will be good for specieists to start realizing a dog is a pig is a rat is a boy

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

It will be good for specieists to start realizing a dog is a pig is a rat is a boy

And to put a similar twist to that -

Californians need bacon like a fish needs a bicycle.

Up next some ' impossible ' bacon made out of some Soylent Green sick

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:12 PM

You figured it out yotetrapper30 just a State law protecting the dairy industry.
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:35 PM

They want to drive the cost of meat up so the common folk will eat bugs instead. They beleive this is more "green".
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 01:58 PM

The Rich will still have bacon on their plates

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 03:48 PM

Introducing BOCO’s Canadian ham. LOL
Posted By: white17

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 05:47 PM

I believe some enterprising lawyer could mount a reasonable suit based on the commerce clause over this. Congress certainly could but certainly won't since it's CA .
Posted By: KeithC

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 07:10 PM

I hope that all Californians starve enough that the decent ones get fed up enough to kill off the liberal lunatics. They should reap what they allow to be sown.

Keith
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 10:05 PM

Can we load that fault line up with explosives already and blow them off into the Pacific?
Posted By: Getting There

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/01/21 10:10 PM

There is all ways SPAM.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 01:48 AM

Pork producers have no say in this. The packing house conglomerates will tell them what to do. That's the problem with the whole system. The 3 big packing entities control the entire market.
Posted By: hippie

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 06:05 PM

Pork should get cheaper for us normal folks then, no?

Demand should go down since Cali. consumed 15% of our production with only 4% being produced there. Suits me.

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 07:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 07:08 PM

Prices will get lower until the supply meets demand, just like the short fur market is going through currently. Hogs can cycle pretty fast when compared to dairy, beef and some of the other common meat animals, but not as quickly as poultry can. Due to the fact that most large meat chicken and laying firms buy almost all of their feed, thus very limited land and machinery it is easier for them to leave the houses empty when prices go below production costs, much more similar to trapping then many of the other meat producers. One of the major reasons many smaller producers are at a cash based take it or leave it market is that they don't have the numbers or lbs. etc. to fill the contracts and also not the cash to cover the margin calls when prices exceed what has been contracted.

Bryce
Posted By: white17

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 07:16 PM

I have family in Los Angeles county who have been in the wholesale pork business there since 1943. I received an email from them this morning saying this will likely put them out of business along with destruction of 65 well paying jobs they provide.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 08:52 PM

Once them yuppies realize Bacon comes from pigs,,they will change the law. grin

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 09:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 09:22 PM

The real concern here,is that once again,the activists are having an impact.Maybe this will wake up those who still insist we can ignore them and they'll go away.

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
The real concern here,is that once again,the activists are having an impact.Maybe this will wake up those who still insist we can ignore them and they'll go away.

When will the folks with half a brain say enough is enough and put a stop to the madness.

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

When will the folks with half a brain say enough is enough and put a stop to the madness.

Exactly.A few years ago I saw on TV where a representative for a AG group in a state where the activists were making a lot of noise said"we need to have a dialogue,we can find common ground on these issues"..I was about screaming at the TV. "Haven't you people learned a thing?" I used to hear trappers and hunters say the same thing back in '70's and 80's.There is no common ground with these people.I would have thought we all knew that by now.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 10:25 PM

You guys don't remember the egg problems just a few years ago;
their producers said NO to the size of the laying hen ages and just shut down
so they went from 88 cents/doz to 4$
How long did that play out for.

One thing it is going to do is have a whole lot of squished piglets as momma lays down would be my opinion.

Are you not sure that China is in this whole deal, since they take 28% of USA pork and own 25% of the plants processing. More for them.

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 10:38 PM

This was passed by referendum on California,proposed and supported by animal rights groups and vegans.The general population bought it all,hook line and sinker.It doesn't matter how they did it,or who all backed them.What matters is the inroads they are making into our lives.

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 10:53 PM

More bacon for me win/win!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/02/21 11:25 PM

More bacon for me win/win!

Hahahaaa YUP.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/03/21 12:38 AM

Can't think of a better excuse to go to war with California than this.

Mike
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/03/21 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by white17
I have family in Los Angeles county who have been in the wholesale pork business there since 1943. I received an email from them this morning saying this will likely put them out of business along with destruction of 65 well paying jobs they provide.

Could this be blessing ? Not trying to be a smart az but perhaps it's long overdue they pull the plug on commifornia

I still have 3 cousins ( the last of all our family who left 40+ yrs ago ) that stayed in Cali and fell victim to libtardism
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: No more bacon in California - 08/03/21 12:54 AM

[Linked Image]

Love It Law Dog
© 2024 Trapperman Forums