Home

Yellow jackets

Posted By: Scuba1

Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 01:31 PM

I was getting some dirt out of a pile to fix some low spots in the garden and hit a yellow jacket nest and got tagged a few times before I could get out of there. so I thought I'll put the brush hog on the tractor and do some mowing in a different place and upset some yellow jackets and got tagged some more times.
Some time ago i seem to remember some secipe how to get rid of those little buggers with a can of Tuna and some sort of insecticide mixed in with it, but I cant find that thread. Cana anyone help this stung Kraut out please.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 02:20 PM

Think was fly bait mixed in a can of chicken. Careful in where you set it up as is hazardous to pets as well.Fly bait for yellow jackets Found this on a quick search. Might also check into making a few traps for them.
Posted By: GWGjr

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 02:26 PM

I get rid of them using ant powder and a clear glass bowl. Early in the morning pour a generous amount of the powder in and around the hole they use then cover it with the clear glass bowl. They'll try to fly out but can't get past the bowl and will go back down the hole taking the ant powder that collects on 'em along with. Takes out the whole colony in a day or two. By using the clear glass bowl they won't try and dig a new exit.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 04:02 PM

GWGjr

Although a nice idea, its not going to work in my situation as I cant crawl through the brush on my average looking for nests prior to mowing. So My thought was to place a bunch of those bait tins up in the trees around the property and wait a week before getting my butt back on the brush hog. Because getting tagged like that twice in a day is something I want to try and avoid. I have permethrin but I think its going to work to quick and won't allow them to bring the bait back to the nest.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 04:24 PM

I don't have any advice on bait/traps. Just be careful. The later it gets into summer the more aggressive they're going to be.

A little gasoline down the hole works well. But you have to know the location of their hole for that to work, and that's the catch.

Mike
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 04:52 PM

I actually enjoy running over a yellow jacket nest when I am brush hogging. But, our tractor has a cab on it with heat and ac.

For the ones around the yard, they get a good shot of gas down the hole at night.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 04:53 PM

I have so many places where I work the ground with either the brush hog, cultivator or just moving dirt around spread over my 42 acres that its going to be very difficult for me to systematically go on a yellow jacket scouting spree. I would probably still be looking when the first frost starts.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 04:55 PM

Jerry I can tell you from experience that it is not nearly as much fun with an open tractor. But don't take my word for it and next time leave the door open grin
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:02 PM

A little boric acid mixed with apple juice , put a little in a pop can and set them around yellow jackets love it but honey bees wont touch it , they clam it will kill out all nest.after they carry it back to camp. ( Couger Ridge Ranch ) on youtube.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
Jerry I can tell you from experience that it is not nearly as much fun with an open tractor. But don't take my word for it and next time leave the door open grin

I bet!

Short story. My Dad was running the dozer cleaning up brush and what not when he ran over a nest. He had a little jack russel with him (the little bugger would find him where ever he went). When the bees started attacking she was biting at them while they were flying. Dad ended up tossing her to the ground since she would not leave on her own. Dad just stayed on the dozer till they left him alone. The dog was hurting for a few days but was then back to her fast paced life.

That is the way he told the story. I figured he jumped off with the dog and ran far enough that they halted their attack and circled out in front of the dozer and waited for it.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:15 PM

Be careful with the tuna or chicken hanging in trees. A lot of other animals will want to eat the bait
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Get with finster.

X2

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Be careful with the tuna or chicken hanging in trees. A lot of other animals will want to eat the bait

I figure if I change the stuff up in jars with a hole in the lid big enough for a yellow jacket to get in and out would keep other critters away from it
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
A little boric acid mixed with apple juice , put a little in a pop can and set them around yellow jackets love it but honey bees wont touch it , they clam it will kill out all nest.after they carry it back to camp. ( Couger Ridge Ranch ) on youtube.

Going to try this today. Thanks because I have honey bees. Will put one out side my window first and try to monitor it for awhile
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:38 PM

Michael, as mentioned , Finster did post a perfect recipe on the tuna bait ...it was encased in a cage so no other animals could access it, and the hornets can. Honey bees don't care at all for meat so the poison tuna was not attracting them either. I cant recall the recipe in detail right now but i have wanted to get some and try that out for a long time. Only thing holding me back is the outlets for sale are expensive and in way bigger amounts than I would use in a 100 years. From the research it sounds great...everyone who has tried it reports glowing success, with not a hornet to be seen all summer. Hot dog and BBQ parties with no invaders. They take the stuff back to the hives , feed it to the larva and queen and that's the end of them. Ill probably end up getting a bottle anyway just to get rid of the hornets. I am allergic to them. I don't know if it works on Baldies but I would think it would....as long as they can squeeze through the hardware cloth that covers the bait.

Finster has the solution ....he posted links to read up on it too.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 05:54 PM

Sharon.. I'll get a bottle of that onslaught stuff they mention and would be happy to send you some of it as it is way more than I need.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:04 PM

Scuba, I use Sevin bug dust. Just locate the hole and throw a handful in and around it. It's better done just before dark when most oh them are in the nest. That is also the time to burn them out if that's the method you prefer or if gas is what you have on hand. Pour some gas down and around the hole at dark when most of them are in and light it. If it's an above ground nest wrap some rags around a long stick use gas or diesel one rags and burn the nest at dark. I think Sharon has it right on Finister's method with tuna or chicken with wire around it to keep other critters out of it. I think the brand was Taurus it is available at the farmers CO OP in our area. Good luck. Call me if you need help with them.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:07 PM

Michael, that is very kind of you. Only if you won't need it all. Now as far as containers in the mail, may need to make sure the PO won't throw a fit if the original container , or an opened original is mailed...I wouldn't want you smacked with their ruler on your knuckles smile

I will pay you for what you send too, and shipping. That stuff is very effective, but it costs .

I'll pm you my address. Many thanks, Michael. If I got as many stangs as you did I would be in the ER.
Posted By: Ridge Runner1960

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:15 PM

1/2 teaspoon of taurus sc to a 10.5 oz. can of chicken
Posted By: River Birch

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:21 PM

Throw on your Grunden's or Hansen's yellow jackets aren't able to sting through heavy rain gear...
Posted By: charles

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:24 PM

Seven dust and pancake syrup is used at my hunting club. Might work for you.
Posted By: MnJag

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960

This is what I did. Worked great. Same problem with price and size.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 06:54 PM

I believe it was canned chicken and fiporin or however you spell it. the name brand stuff used in the article was very expensive but its the same stuff in flea juice for dogs.

It was put in a cage of sorts to keep birds and non target critters away. It's brought back to the nest and kills all of them, it's supposed to clear out all nests for hundreds of yards.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:02 PM

I put 1/4 teaspoon of taurus sc in about 4 oz of chipped up apples yesterday, had YJ's going in 2 places of our cellar, today have saw none coming or going!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:02 PM

Here's the video Finster posted on killing yellow jackets.

Here's the post.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6967704/Searchpage/1/Main/512357/Words/%2Byellow+%2Bjackets/Search/true/re-yellow-jackets#Post6967704

Keith

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:21 PM

Thank you Keith , that is the video and the stuff Finster posted !
Posted By: Finster

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:25 PM

That time of year....... Guess I'll put some bait out next week or so.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
That time of year....... Guess I'll put some bait out next week or so.

We were wondering where you were smile your ears must have been tingling

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 07:54 PM

I am off to the coop tomorrow to find that stuff. and then its game on grin

Thank you kind folks for the info I needed.
This landlubber life is way more complex than I would have thought

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 08:04 PM

Thank you much Michael.

Keep us all updated on how you fix them up and results, please.

I'll do the same.

I'm going to try an experiment to see if those horrible Baldies will go for the bait too. I'll make sure the hardware cloth holes are large enough to let those things in but keep everything else out.

What is great about this bait set up, is that honeybees won't be interested in it. They are my favourite insect and I love having them in my flowering trees, shrubs and berry bushes. There will be less predators of honey bees around with this, too.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Thank you Keith , that is the video and the stuff Finster posted !

You're welcome Sharon.

Keith
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 08:33 PM

Sharon,

would love to hear the results on bald faced hornets...HATE them things!
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 08:39 PM

Taurus SC, or Termidor SC. Both contain the same Fipronil content. I use Termidor SC myself, and also treat my house with it, for termites!

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 08:42 PM

Colony traps work great to put the bait in. And keep everything else out else

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Sharon,

would love to hear the results on bald faced hornets...HATE them things!

I will. On this thread.

I know Baldies catch mosquitoes , and flies, I've seen them do that on windows and flowers. But they aren't worth the price in getting stung for me. Of all the riding and walkabouts I've done , I'm amazed I have avoided them as well as I have.

One time on an endurance practice run, on my friend's prize winning Spanish Arabian, we came across a Baldy nest , a small one, on a shrub branch that somehow became heavy enough from the nest attached on the end, to droop down onto the ground in the middle of the trail. She was on her other Arab in front of me and neither of us saw that nest until we were right on them. Her horse stepped right over the top of it and then it was my turn. I didn't see them till too late , Vinny saw it, and in slow motion stepped calmly over them too. He didn't even swish his tail in any abrupt movement. I know Baldies don't wait till something gets on their nest, they will fly out several feet ahead of time . But these didn't fly , amazingly. They all just sat on the nest with wings out , leaning up looking at us as those horse bodies and legs moved over them.

After I revived my heart and could speak , we marveled at how we all escaped that potential rodeo. If there was ever a time to not become unseated at a running buck, then was the time. I am always so careful , but never thought to look down on the ground for them.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 09:17 PM

Thanks, Sharon!

glad they cut you a break that time!

round these parts, they build their nests (often BIG ones!) about 20 feet up in a sapling...you never knew you disturbed them (bumped their sapling) until they bring down a world of hate upon you.

they have NO sense of humor, whatsoever!

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 09:23 PM

grin Couldn't have described them better than you did !
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 09:39 PM

Found the taurus SC for $42.75 for 20oz.Delivered
That sound about right? for anyone who has ordered it?
Posted By: old243

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 10:38 PM

I take an empty, plastic juice bottle. Cut a couple of triangular holes in it, several inches down from top. Put a couple of inches of coke or other pop in the bottom. Make a small cloth bag, with a slice of lunch meat, or fish in it. hang the bag with a string / fairly high up and screw the lid on , to hold the string.. Wasps will be attracted by the rotting meat, will go inside and end up drowning. I put these traps near my beehives, bees won't go in. When they fill up, dump them and rebait. Bit smelly but work well. old243

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/01/21 10:49 PM

Thank you much Michael.

Keep us all updated on how you fix them up and results, please.

I'll do the same.

I'm going to try an experiment to see if those horrible Baldies will go for the bait too. I'll make sure the hardware cloth holes are large enough to let those things in but keep everything else out.

What is great about this bait set up, is that honeybees won't be interested in it. They are my favourite insect and I love having them in my flowering trees, shrubs and berry bushes. There will be less predators of honey bees around with this, too.

You can try leaving the bait in the can and hanging it in an old onion bag. Let's the little buggers in and out.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 03:21 AM

I know this won't work for Scuba , but an interesting method I've never heard about. 7:13 long.

Posted By: run

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 04:17 PM

Interesting video by Finster.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by run
Interesting video by Finster.

Not "My" video. I don't know who the guy is but I found that a few years ago when I had a few nests in my roof under the eves and shingles. Took them all out in two days.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 04:31 PM

If your talking ground hive bees,,wait till dark then,, gas + match = no more bees.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 06:43 PM

Thanks for the correction, Finster.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/02/21 11:38 PM

For turdledale
Been a few years but Sounds about right.. I had to check the size of bottle I have. It is 20 oz. Works great. I thought it was steep but a liftime supply makes it worth it for sure.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
If your talking ground hive bees,,wait till dark then,, gas + match = no more bees.

And in one swoop, no more trees and brush, no more house and shed. Its great what one can accomplish with just one match here in the summer when everything is tinder dry. The smoke we have in the air across the country at the moment could be from a guy that is happy as a pig in a muddy puddle right now that he got rid of a whole bunch of yellow jackets.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 01:35 PM

And it is a wasted match to boot. A little gas down the hole after dark will wipe out the entire nest. No match required. The gas and fumes will kill them. No need for the fire.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 03:43 PM

And in one swoop, no more trees and brush, no more house and shed. Its great what one can accomplish with just one match here in the summer when everything is tinder dry. The smoke we have in the air across the country at the moment could be from a guy that is happy as a pig in a muddy puddle right now that he got rid of a whole bunch of yellow jackets.

LOL.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 08:12 PM

The point made in this thread, with Michael , Finster, and some others, is NOT to have to find a nest or get close to it. To have a solution that will be transported by hornets back to their nest , taking care of all of them in a given radius , is the only way to go . Every year it is needed to repeat. Cant beat that with a stick grin

Finster, that onion bag sound good. I'll keep that in mind, though, I think I'd like to try making some cages like the ones in the video you found.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 08:27 PM

I ordered the stuff totay .. went with Taurus SC .... I'll give you a heads up Sharon when it gets here and I'll put yours in the post
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 09:06 PM

For smaller quantity of Taurus SC, I found this:

https://arnallgrocery.com/products/taurus-sc-0-4oz

Only $7.00 +shipping for .4 oz (should be enough for a few applications)

Of course shipping is $13.00 go figure.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by AntiGov
Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Get with finster.

X2

X3. Part of his plan, if I remember right was aspirin in one pocket and onions in the other. grin grin grin
Posted By: Wife

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 09:19 PM

Diazinon is registered for use and it has some residual for any young still in the hive. Gasoline is NOT registered and don't tout concerns for the environment if petroleum products are used.................. the mike

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/03/21 10:05 PM

I ordered the stuff totay .. went with Taurus SC .... I'll give you a heads up Sharon when it gets here and I'll put yours in the post

Many thanks , Michael.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/04/21 02:51 AM

Scuba, do like my friend does. He is allergic to them. So he uses a bee keeper suit (complete, head to toe) while bush- hogging. Sarge

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/04/21 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
Scuba, do like my friend does. He is allergic to them. So he uses a bee keeper suit (complete, head to toe) while bush- hogging. Sarge

I am not allergic to the stings. They are uncomfortable at best. But I rather not have them stir the missus or even the dog like one did yesterday. So I'll eradicate them instead. They have no use or purpose as far as i can tell. And if they do. the negatives outweigh the positives in my book .... the Taurus stuff should be here by Friday and the canned chicken is already waiting. Come Sunday this thing should be over. And when I get back from Hilton Head a week or so after that I can brush hog naked again grin
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/04/21 03:16 PM

Your words paint a picture none of us wanted to see! sick

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/04/21 03:36 PM

laugh
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/04/21 04:17 PM

Funny thing you posted this topic. This morning I saw a post on a duck hunting forum I visit. This guy is a serious type and no doubt this thing works as he says.

This is the way to kill meat bees.

12.5 oz can of canned chicken, it is meat bee meth.

1 vial Pet Armor flea treatment for dogs, 45-88 lb size. Active ingredient is Fipronil 9.8 %

Put the flea vial and the chicken in a blender with the juice and puree it.

Its enough bait for 3 or 4 small cups. Put it up or cover where pets can't get to it and let them have it.
Don't make it any stronger that that as you want the foragers to take it back to the hive. It will kill the hives they take it back to. Make it stronger and the meat bee dies before it gets back to the hive. You will see a huge drop off in bees in about 4 days.

Hope it helps.

Pete

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/05/21 05:31 PM

Well the stuff arrived last night and I mixed up a can of chicken with a quarter teaspoon of Taurus SC and split it into 4 portions and hung them outside........ and now we wait grin

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/05/21 05:57 PM

grin Keep us all updated , please !

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/05/21 06:20 PM

will do Sharon
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/05/21 09:07 PM

The early apples are dropping. Once they get soft the yellow jackets will be on those

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/05/21 09:21 PM

They are chomping away at the stuff .

i just went for a quick spin with the 4 wheeler to check on the bait and it is fast disappearing. But i had one dead dead on in one of the bait containers ... either it came back for seconds or there was a spot that did not get mixed too good. Either way, we shall see tomorrow

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 12:26 PM

Well I am gong to call this a success ..... none of the yellow pests to be seen anywhere. Now I can mow without getting stung by those little bar stewards .

Sharon, you are going to love this stuff.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 07:34 PM

Glad to hear it worked
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 07:47 PM

Thanks, gonna make some up

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 08:17 PM

Well I am gong to call this a success ..... none of the yellow pests to be seen anywhere. Now I can mow without getting stung by those little bar stewards .

Really ??!!! That fast ????

Boy howdy !! Cant wait to try mine !

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 09:20 PM

Yup, dead by dawn! Works every time. Just say'in, everyone that has used the "cure" owes me a dollar. grin Pm me and I'll give you my address. Must send cash. I'm not taking a check from some broke trapper! laugh

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/06/21 11:29 PM

I'll pay
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/07/21 01:11 PM

If you don't know how to burn out a ground bee nest without setting the whole County on fire,,you would get stung a lot in my neck of the woods. grin
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/07/21 01:55 PM

I don't suppose this concoction will work for carpenter bees will it?

Ol dad

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/07/21 04:17 PM

Carpenter bees are not meat eaters like yellow Jackets. I found that spraying the wood structures that are on the carpenter bees menu I spray with a solution of Permethrin and that stopped them in their tracks.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/12/21 10:40 PM

TTT
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/12/21 11:10 PM

I don't have time to read all of these post. So, back when I helped on family farms we had two ways. If we found a nest that had to go we would just put some gas in an old tire and put it over the nest. One match later and the nest was history. Second way was to hang a carp over water they ate their fill and dropped into the water. Problem solved. These were 1960's methods and might not be acceptable today.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/13/21 12:09 AM

what can I use to bait European hornets, got in a nest today, 7 or 8 stings, will take yellow jackets any day!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/13/21 12:28 AM

As to the Ozone machine, perhaps if you fixed a funnel to the outlet, attached a hose to it, and shoved the hose down the hole it would work better without all the digging.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/13/21 03:23 PM

Well I got the bait just fine...thank you Michael ! You packed it so well , with care. Opened a can of chicken and mixed it in well. I have my cage on a small fold up table near my hummer feeders, and where I can see it easy. Several have been bothering my hummer feeder and bird bath. With as dry as it has been, they want the water. I figured setting up near those targets would make it easy for them to discover the bait can.

In about 20 minutes I had the first visitor . It took in a lot of the mix. Several minutes more and more of them were circling the cage. It was fun.

The bait has been set up for going on three days now. It never got a big swarm of them, just a steady trickle here and there.
Today I'll see what happens. The dry air keeps lowering the water level in the can so I add a bit more. Seems to be ok this morning.

I take the bait can in every evening, there is a big black bear I've seen ambling through here , along with all the rest that are unseen. I don't want to have my nice cage dragged off and bent up .

But I'm seeing less and less of them !

Works like a charm , when they are in the mood for protein and not just water.

I have had no Baldies visit so far. Surprised at that. The hardware cloth cage wire is plenty big for them to fit right in.

This water trapping is fun

grin
Posted By: bowhunter1

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/13/21 05:23 PM

Pot of boiling hot water down the hole after dark then plug the holes, sometimes may be more than one hole. I think it is a bad idea to dump chemicals into the soil, when u can use water, lot cheaper too.

Re: Yellow jackets - 08/13/21 06:36 PM

Bowhunter. This is not dumping chemicals. The active ingredient is the same as the drops folks put on their dogs against fleas and ticks and we use a 1/4 teaspoon full or 3 drops in a can of chicken of which most will get disposed as ya run out of yellow jackets in a day or so with still chicken left in the tin. They would dump a greater volume f chemicals into the person that went to the Er for multiple yellow jacket stings.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/04/21 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner1960

Can not order it in Indiana apparently with out a kill bug license. They are getting bad it's time for them to go.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/04/21 01:48 AM

I've been fighting the yellow jackets and hornets for my fruit. I got stung twice by yellow jackets and twice by bald faced hornets last week. I have 4 little pockets of necrotic tissue to remind me of them. I'm going to nuke them as soon as I get the poison and proactively nuke them from now on.

Keith

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/04/21 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I've been fighting the yellow jackets and hornets for my fruit. I got stung twice by yellow jackets and twice by bald faced hornets last week. I have 4 little pockets of necrotic tissue to remind me of them. I'm going to nuke them as soon as I get the poison and proactively nuke them from now on.

Keith

Was my plan also. But...
Posted By: Gene Dziza

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/04/21 02:51 AM

Really ??!!! That fast ????

Boy howdy !! Cant wait to try mine !

Sharon:
We're in the woods in Bigfork, up against the Swan Range. The yellow jackets were so bad, it was impossible to eat outside and I wouldn't even feed the dogs outside. In just a little patch of woods I'm thinning, I hit 3 big nests. I had to leave for a week and before I did, I put out 5 traps with the Taurus SC, following the posted video instructions. Yes, I did have to buy a 20 year supply, but we had a real problem I wanted to get rid of. In the two weeks I've been back, I've seen one yellow jacket. Prior to that, we were having 3 or 4 a day getting into the house. I'm sold!

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/13/21 03:37 PM

I found a place that shiped it to me. My wife bought 12.5 store brand chicken. I removed some to get closer to 10.5 oz drained 1/2 tea spoon tarus mixed put in cage and set out in to places. So far even though there are a lot of yellow jackets they are showing no interest in the bait. Maybe they need names brand chicken or maybe I should not have drained it.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/13/21 04:25 PM

Gene, good deal ! Just saw your post.

I know right where Bigfork is, and the Swan Range is one of my favorites to see and explore. Man what a scene you must have . The road between the Swan and Missions is one of the most beautiful I've seen .

Glad it worked for you.

PF, I noticed the same thing in general. This summer has been so dry that it seemed like they went from wanting protein to sugar/water based sources.

You used the right measuring . The water in the can is good ...because if yours are wanting more moisture than protein, the water can help, plus keep the meat from drying out. I added a bit of water to mine when evaporation took out too much. Also, you don't want to overdose on the bait mix....it can kill the transporters before they have time to distribute it into the nest.

I did notice here too, that they wanted the sugar/water in my hummer feeder more than the bait, though I did get some interest in the bait, but they weren't all over it , as other folks have experienced.

This reminds me of ADC info I learned on controlling carpenter ants. There are times in the year they are more protein based, and other times they only want sugar water. That's why I was told to get both types of bait and see which one they preferred.

I have been wondering if hornets are the same way. This summer has been terrible in historical dryness in all the western hemisphere. Though here still hold up well as to natural moisture from springs and big trees holding it and temps down.

If it doesn't work well now, just set up next spring when the queens start searching, no doubt for protein, and I bet you'll see progress.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/13/21 11:54 PM

Sharon I think your on to something . They have really been swarming my gator going after the spilled bee food. My finger are crossed I will see a reduction in their # tomorrow. I added a few oz of water to rehydrate the bait.

A week ago we cut up some watermelon that were bad on the vine and put them out for my bee's. A few honney bee's got on it but the yellow jackets had them covered. Also supporting they are after sugar now.
Posted By: charles

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 12:26 AM

At my hunting club we mix Seven dust with pancake syrup. No evidence that it works. Seems like a grape drink draws them the best.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by charles
At my hunting club we mix Seven dust with pancake syrup. No evidence that it works. Seems like a grape drink draws them the best.

I won't use anything that will attract honey bee's. It's hard enough for a new bee keeper to keep them healthy.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Sharon I think your on to something . They have really been swarming my gator going after the spilled bee food. My finger are crossed I will see a reduction in their # tomorrow. I added a few oz of water to rehydrate the bait.

A week ago we cut up some watermelon that were bad on the vine and put them out for my bee's. A few honney bee's got on it but the yellow jackets had them covered. Also supporting they are after sugar now.

Shows to me they too are wanting the water/sugar .

If honeybees were not attracted to this too, your have those hornets cold. So would I.

I love honeybees. They are my favorite insect. They make the world go round.

What is so good about this meat based bait, is that it makes a nice exception of bees, who aren't interested in the meat.

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I found a place that shiped it to me. My wife bought 12.5 store brand chicken. I removed some to get closer to 10.5 oz drained 1/2 tea spoon tarus mixed put in cage and set out in to places. So far even though there are a lot of yellow jackets they are showing no interest in the bait. Maybe they need names brand chicken or maybe I should not have drained it.

see my post about substituting apples for chicken.
Posted By: GaTurkeyHunter

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 11:24 AM

I have found many nests this summer with the bushhog. Once I find the nest, I pour a quart to a liter of used of cheap vegetable oil down the hole. Kills the nest fast!

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 01:02 PM

Bush hogs should be called Yellow jacket nest detectors. Those things work real well at finding them. The tricks to get rid or the yellow jackets before finding them with the bush hog. I found it was a whole lot less irritating doing it that way.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 01:42 PM

Trapstickman has located two yellow jacket nests so far on his property recently and has received a total of five stings. He is never happy when he locates a nest.

[Linked Image]

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Trapstickman has located two yellow jacket nests so far on his property recently and has received a total of five stings. He is never happy when he locates a nest.

[Linked Image]

found one european hornet nest, got 7 stings, if given a choice woul take yellowjackets any day!

Re: Yellow jackets - 09/14/21 10:48 PM

Trapstickman is the best smile He always has adventure .

I am wondering why this bait won't also work with Baldies and those European hornets. I hope so.

I saw a documentary some years ago about them, when they were called Japanese hornets. Same species , just different names. A fascinating part of that movie was how the local honeybees handled them when they try and invade a hive. Those hornets are horrible in killing whole hives of honeybees. When the scout lands on the box hive threshold, the honeybees don't mass up and go out to meet it. They mass up inside the entrance and wait. The scout goes in, and begins killing the bees, one bite and they are in half. Soon the whole mass piles on the scout and they literally smother it.

If they go outside on the ledge, the scout cannot be succumbed that way and can escape to fly back to it's nest and report.

The documentary stated that honeybees in this country do not have that adaptation . Instead, as they do with other invaders, they flood outside on the ledge and attack in their way, which doesn't work with the feral invaders. They fly back to the nest, report and soon enough of them go to the hive and kill the bees.

That documentary was sobering in that info alone, much less the electric shock of their sting.

I surely hope the bait that works so well with yellow jackets also does it's thing on Baldies and those terrible European invaders.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums