Home

Camp Road Washed out

Posted By: vermontster

Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 04:04 PM

Heavy rain has washed out a section of our camp road. It's always has water in the road and in the winter it makes a new layer of ice almost every night. It was a old skidder road with 4' high banks. The soil is blue clay. I am thinking it needs something like 4" stone added on top about 12-16 inches. Then road cloth and gravel on top. Is that a reasonable fix. I don't have any experience with road repair. Any suggestion from dirt contractors would be great. It has a 60' flat area then goes uphill for 200' in length. Plus thinking of widening the road and putting a ditch along the side that the water comes from.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 05:03 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Expensive? I throw a few hundred dollars here and a few hundred dollars there at my road just about every year, mostly in the form of bringing in more gravel to fill in the trouble spots. I've put in a couple of culverts as well. Give the water an easier place to go and it will.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 05:25 PM

Check out Youtube vids: "fixing camp roads" :-)
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 06:30 PM

Do you have enough trees to do corduroy in that section?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 06:34 PM

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 07:00 PM

No I don't have the trees to do a corduroy road.

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 07:03 PM

We also more more thunderstorms and flash flooding coming tonight. I did go clean out the water bars that had filled in with the last storm that dumped 4" of rain a couple days ago.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 07:06 PM

Putting a small culvert under the road, or a few if needed, that you direct the water to, will help also.

Keith
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/01/21 10:43 PM

crown on the road along with a ditch down both sides made my road stay finally. Will have to keep adding rock as it erodes. NO limestone available in this area either. I went with the largest stone I could get here and let it pack in before adding more.
Posted By: sweetwilliam

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/02/21 10:50 AM

I would suggest a small excavator to crown and ditch the road if the material is already there and stable when dry. You can add gravel to the top for your driving surface good drainage is key to road building. This is what I do for a job.
Posted By: run

Re: Camp Road Washed out - 08/02/21 01:19 PM

Lots of great advice in this thread.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums