Home

tree huggers think we are bad

Posted By: k9-hunter

tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 10:55 PM

Nearly half of the United States population, 150 million other American adults, are coffee drinkers.

Now think about the cups. Unless you’re drinking your brew at home, you’re likely picking up your java in a paper cup to go.

And that’s the problem across the world: nearly 16 billion paper to-go cups are used every year, which leads to 6.5 million trees being cut down and 4 billion gallons of water being wasted. The inside of most paper to-go cups is also coated in a thin layer of plastic, making them unrecyclable.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:10 PM

Foam for coffee cups here often, trees are a renewable resource plastic and foam are the problem way more then paper. Tree cutting support wildlife clear cuts create maximum growth in area feeding wildlife for years to come.
Posted By: run

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:21 PM

I'm ok with paper cups. You may be able to get compostable cups.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:23 PM

I'm very pro paper. I'm one of the few that still asks for my groceries to be bagged in paper.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:32 PM

I work at a paper mill so I'm very pro paper and logging. Lot of your coffee cups have a percentage of recycled paper in them.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:32 PM

If you cut a tree down, many new trees quickly compete to fill their space. The leading killer of little trees is shade and competition from larger trees.

Keith
Posted By: Boco

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:39 PM

Or vision.
Posted By: Boco

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:39 PM

Or vision.
Once they spray the vision on the clearcuts nothing will live there-it is a dead landscape for at least 50 to 60 years until the conifer monoculture can support any wildlife.
Then they cut it again at 80.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/03/21 11:41 PM

35+ years of putting ink on paper....yeah I'm pro-paper. Trees of all sizes eat Co2...
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:30 AM

the wife has cloth grocery bags folds them up when we put away groceries and brings them to the store each week and I have had the same coffee cup for 6 or 7 years.

reducing consumption just isn't popular with very many , we could learn a lot and did from our Depression era family.

Waste not , Want not

I may heat with wood but I seldom need to cut any healthy trees with all the EAB and storm damage around.
Posted By: charles

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:34 AM

Once lived where plastic grocery bags were banned. Four years later it was OK. No it. Isn’t.
Wind blew them everywhere
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:41 AM

I don't really care what the moonbats think... But I use the same travel mug every day. Too cheap to shell out cash all the time for disposable cups.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:41 AM

I have a 107 acre farm inside city limits of 10k population. Far and away plastic sacks and plastic bottles are THE trash to be found. Landlord gets on me to keep field edges mowed...NOPE! The weeds are renewable annual trash fence.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I may heat with wood but I seldom need to cut any healthy trees with all the EAB and storm damage around.

I too heat with wood.
Not all cases are the same but.....
I only cut living trees, to primarily thin for more growth on remaining trees, secondarily it yeilds more growth of plants on forest floor which is better for wildlife and third because cutting dead trees is bad for wildlife.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 02:47 AM

We will need to find ways to remove all the dead black ash we have over here. Lot of the lower spots with muck type soils don't freeze up hard many years. Just way too many to leave out there from my perspective. Some woodlots are 60-70% dead right now. If the estimate is correct they estimate over 600 million ash trees in WI and I don't know if that includes all the ash trees that were planted in the cities and towns over the last 20-40 years.

Bryce

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I too heat with wood.
Not all cases are the same but.....
I only cut living trees, to primarily thin for more growth on remaining trees, secondarily it yeilds more growth of plants on forest floor which is better for wildlife and third because cutting dead trees is bad for wildlife.

it is fine to cut live trees , I just seldom need to to get enough wood.
thinning and maintenance cutting makes a productive woods for habitat , timber production , lumber are all good and needed.

we get painted as tree killers , but we really are not is what I was saying even when we take trees that are not diseased , damaged , badly leaning or dead they usually have a purpose or reason.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 03:01 AM

Paper is renewable, recyclable (although often this is a feel good measure, it takes less resources and less money to make new paper, paperback books doubled in price under Clinton because he signed a law requiring them to be made out of at least 50% recycled paper) and decomposable. Personally I don't like drinking out of paper or foam, but then I make my own coffee and carry it in a thermos anyways, they don't have coffee shops where I spend my time.

I do always use paper bags rather than plastic at the grocery store.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 03:04 AM

Antis cannot see past the end of their nose they want to ban everything that will not have a impact on their lives with no thought of the final outcomes.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 03:58 AM

Y’all keep consuming wood products, I’ll keep planting trees. I figure I will oversee planting somewhere around 11-12 million seedlings this year. The timber industry really has so many positive inputs to our society, from providing jobs to providing recreation opportunities to promoting environmental stewardship, just too numerous to list them all.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Paper is renewable, recyclable (although often this is a feel good measure, it takes less resources and less money to make new paper, paperback books doubled in price under Clinton because he signed a law requiring them to be made out of at least 50% recycled paper) and decomposable. Personally I don't like drinking out of paper or foam, but then I make my own coffee and carry it in a thermos anyways, they don't have coffee shops where I spend my time.

You bring your own paper bags, or do grocery stores in Idaho still offer them? I've not seen a grocery store on the east coast offer paper bags in over 20 years.

I work at a farm stand and we've been trying to use up 5000 paper bags the owners used to cover tomatoes with during a frost this spring. 100% of the customers look at the paper bags, then ask for plastic. I tell them paper is all we have. 80% of them forego the bag and make 2-3 trips to the car, grumbling about us not having plastic, rather than using a paper one. I don't get it.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 05:02 AM

Most every store here has both paper and plastic. You're more likely to find a store that doesn't offer plastic than you are to find one which doesn't offer paper. This is North Idaho, where the main industry is the timber industry*, and there is a big paper mill 50 miles away. Paper is at least as popular as plastic.

*Although we are getting a tremendous amount of transplants moving in the last couple years, many who either don't work or work from home.

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 06:59 AM

You can still get paper bags to put your groceries in on the East coast. Maybe I live close to a paper loving town, not sure.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 07:57 AM

Offer nothing but paper bags here. No plastic. We usually use cotton bags.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Or vision.

Sounds like something good for fence lines.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Boco
Or vision.

Sounds like something good for fence lines.

What the heck is vision? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 12:12 PM

Could you please explain what you mean, Boco? The smoke screen is making it blurry around here.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 12:16 PM

I hug trees ,i love them.
Posted By: Squash

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by logger coffey
I hug trees ,i love them.

Me also, especially when I’m tipping them off the stump.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by run
You can still get paper bags to put your groceries in on the East coast. Maybe I live close to a paper loving town, not sure.

Hmmm.not here

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by bearcat2

You bring your own paper bags, or do grocery stores in Idaho still offer them? I've not seen a grocery store on the east coast offer paper bags in over 20 years.

I work at a farm stand and we've been trying to use up 5000 paper bags the owners used to cover tomatoes with during a frost this spring. 100% of the customers look at the paper bags, then ask for plastic. I tell them paper is all we have. 80% of them forego the bag and make 2-3 trips to the car, grumbling about us not having plastic, rather than using a paper one. I don't get it.

they use the plastic then gripe about "big oil" they wear oil , the sleep on oil , the put oil in their cars , their carpet is oil , their siding is oil but because it looks like different things they just don't see it as oil. after all to them only your truck uses oil

seeing a lot more hemp being grown here , I don't know if it is for the fiber and the CBD or just the CBD

almost every grocery in WI i have been to even whole foods and the super hippie co-ops that I have seen offer paper here , they may charge you a dime or quarter for a paper bag some don't even have plastic just paper and it costs a quarter, or plenty of re-usable you can buy for a dollar or two.

the one exception I can think of is Walmart has only plastic bags
Posted By: BigBob

Re: tree huggers think we are bad - 08/04/21 07:07 PM

AND: Don't forget all the paper and foam trash from fast food.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums