Home

Anyone reload shot shells

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 12:50 AM

Anyone ? Gf's dad asked if I wanted his old presses and gave me these two. Don't know much about shot she'll reloading at all but figured I'd clean these two up. Apparently ones a 12 and the other is a 10ga. Do these look pretty rough or should clean up be pretty decent?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 12:54 AM

some steel wool and clp ought to get them in fine shape
Posted By: MJM

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 12:58 AM

I have loaded pickup loads of shotgun shells on Mec presses. They are a very good press.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 12:58 AM

did you get a set of powder and shot bushings?
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:00 AM

You're in like Flynn! You need another hobby. laugh
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:05 AM

600 JR is a great single stage press. Loaded a lot of shells with one in 12 and one in 20. With mec parts are very available. Clean it up and get a good reloading manual and have fun
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:05 AM

MECs are good reloaders. They'll clean up and you can still get parts for them if needed.

I have 5 of them and use them a lot. 3 of them were my granddad's.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:42 AM

i have 3 and used to use them alot -- 12, 16, 20. only one is in need of repair currently -- great presses -- those look like a little clean-up and they will function fine. Put the universal charge bar on the one you will use the most -- it probably already is.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:47 AM

The press on the right appears to have a universal charge bar on it , that's something that you'll learn to love after you get into shotgun reloading !

If you don't have a sturdy bench to mount them to a C clamp and a picnic table can be you're friend .
Don't let anyone convince you these loaders aren't top shelf . I also have two just in case.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:52 AM

Yep, press on right has the universal charge bar

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:56 AM

Funny thing is I never shoot shotguns lol like at all crazy reckon it's the lords way of saying it time to get on of them Walmart specials I keep seeing lol

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
You're in like Flynn! You need another hobby. laugh

I don't have enough lol ?? laugh
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Funny thing is I never shoot shotguns lol like at all crazy reckon it's the lords way of saying it time to get on of them Walmart specials I keep seeing lol

That is exactly why I haven't used mine recently -- about the only thing I shoot are skeet/field loads -- cheaper to buy ------- IF they are available. That being said I was almost to the point of reloading a few until I found some I was willing to pay for. When I was in HS i figured I could reload for about 3.50 per box -- when I could buy (on sale ) for about 4.00 I quit reloading.
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 12:36 PM

I reload shotshells for target and hunting. Nothing better than rolling quality ammo. Those old MEC presses are amazing, If you need parts, MEC has awesome customer service too.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:08 PM

This is bent. Must pull handle down b4 sliding bar!!!

Attached picture IMG_20210808_085628532.jpg
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 01:41 PM

Those are great tools to have right now. Nowadays everything shotgun is unpredictable.

Your machines aren't intended for large amounts for target shooting; but, rather a box or two at a time. You can load:
  • buckshot for those wild boars
  • light lead shot for birds
  • steel for waterfowl
  • magnum lead for the fox in the chicken coop
  • the list goes on
More people are getting back into reloading since the latest shortage has nearly doubled the cost of shotshells. That assuming you can even find them to buy.

As a side story, I was about the only guy out of a couple hundred in one of my gun clubs that still reloaded. They had no reason to; they could buy factory shells for a song. The reason I loaded is my wife loves to shoot, but, is very recoil sensitive due to a shoulder injury. I make her up ammo that is danged near recoil free, and still breaks birds.

Customization is the name of the game for those machines. I have a feeling that is right up your alley.

Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 02:08 PM

I got 3 them on my bench in basement. Bought the 20ga loader when think I was 15-16 not sure any more. But it's loaded probably thousands of rounds. I also got two in 12ga one set for 2 3/4 one set for 3 inch. I've had both them well over 30 year now too. They have more than earned their keep. I haven't loaded more than few shells since price spread got close for factory. I have thought more about messing some with mine since the ammo shortage. also after Danny's post while back about loading slugs or single ball.
Anyways clean them babies up and enjoy.

Mac
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 02:48 PM

Yep, just started back up with our old press, works like a dream!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

a word on shotguns

don't buy turkish guns just because of cost , most have no standards or parts other than maybe choke tubes , they are basically disposable guns if you break it there are not parts to order or scab off other guns , they change the models and who imported them with what config often.

a Mossberg Maverik 88 would be a better choice at about 250 because they have stayed the same and most of the parts of Mossberg 500 compatible

a 500 or 870 used is great if you can find them or even buying a new 500 about 320 dollars for the basic 26 inch barrel field gun.

shorter barrels are easier to carry and your not giving up much if any velocity.
unfortunately many manufactures don't do choke tubes in shorter barrels 18-24 inches

choke tubes are nice , very nice they let your one gun do a bunch of different things , shoot different loads

if I had to pick just one choke full would be it and it was common for most every farmer around here to have a full choke barrel shotgun back before choke tubes were common.

not all choke tubes are the same , the extended tubes just seem to make a nicer pattern , which makes sense since you got a longer distance to change the constriction. you don't really know what your gun with your ammo and that choke will do until you pattern it but there are enough videos out there of chokes with different loads you can get an idea.

shooting clay can get addictive
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 03:58 PM

I have one I quit using it like others because it was easier to buy the ammo for the amount I shoot but lately I’ve been thinking about buying the 10 gauge dies to be able to reload T shot for my 10 gauge since it’s impossible for me to find it’s getting hard to find any 10 gauge waterfowl ammo, mainly because of the 3.5 12 gauge.
Posted By: white17

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 06:25 PM

You can also send those to MEC and they will refurbish them. Decent resale market also.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex

Your machines aren't intended for large amounts for target shooting; but, rather a box or two at a time. You can load:
  • buckshot for those wild boars
  • light lead shot for birds
  • steel for waterfowl
  • magnum lead for the fox in the chicken coop
  • the list goes on
More people are getting back into reloading since the latest shortage has nearly doubled the cost

Dang I wish Id known that before I loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on my old 600 Jrs
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/08/21 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pirogue
Originally Posted by T-Rex

Your machines aren't intended for large amounts for target shooting;....

Dang I wish Id known that before I loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on my old 600 Jrs

No, what you should have known is that there are progressive machines better suited for 10's of thousands of rounds.

Look on the bright side.., The reason you dare challenge me is that huge right arm of yours that you developed pulling that lever five times more than you had to.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/09/21 11:35 AM

Yep first started with Lee loader. That didn't last long till I got 600 Jr., Then versamec 700,couple more 600 jr's, 2 grabbers-12&20, pacific/Hornady 366. Had to explain to wife how u need one for each different load!!!! grin
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/09/21 12:19 PM

If you send those to Mec for a restoration or restore them yourself you will have grandkids that will be reloading with the same presses one day. They pretty much last forever if maintained.

I really enjoy reloading shotgun shells, when everyone couldn't get them I had thousands. It's also nice to be able to customize your loads to what you want.

I got into reloading the tungsten shot. TSS is expensive, so I experimented a lot with steel/tss duplex loads. Had a bunch of them tested for ballistics and finally generated a good load for 28 ga, 20 ga, and 12 ga. The great thing is I have more pellets in my 28 ga duplex than you would have in a 3.5" 12 ga shell shooting steel shot. It's a very addicting hobby but very rewarding!
Posted By: riverdog

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/09/21 02:56 PM

Hey coondagger2, care to share your duplex 12ga load? Thanks!
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Anyone reload shot shells - 08/09/21 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by riverdog
Hey coondagger2, care to share your duplex 12ga load? Thanks!

I'll pm you
© 2024 Trapperman Forums