Home

Chevy Traverse

Posted By: Trapper7

Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:03 PM

My wife is looking at buying a 2012 Traverse. I've been told by some owners of a similar year that they love the one they own. On the other hand, I looked at a April 2020 review written by a Tom Harbid that says the engines that were put in the Traverse from 2009 to 2015 were junk and break down at a little over 100,000 miles.

Anyone had any experience with this vehicle?
Posted By: DanN

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:11 PM

JUNK with a capital J . FIND SOMETHING ELSE.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:13 PM

I worked on them from 2009 to 2011. I would avoid them like the plague.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:18 PM

Im driving a 2015 for work. There are noises coming from inside the noises. Has 85k on it. I wouldnt have bought it after driving it for 5 minutes. POS. We own a 2015 Ford Edge and have put 30k on it with zero problems. No 3rd row but i like it a lot better than the traverse.

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:42 PM

You all convinced me, no Traverse. How about a Ford Explorer? Any opinions on them?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 03:56 PM

People that drive them love them, people that work on them hate them. That tells me all I need to know.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:12 PM

Look at Hyundai. Tucson, Santa Fe, Palisade. The engine and transmission has lifetime warranty. The GF just got a Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L with a turbo and 8 speed automatic. It's hot. The Palisade is bigger and can tow some weight. Rated to tow 5000# with a 291 hp 3.8L engine
Posted By: Don Adams

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:15 PM

My brother in law was leasing a 2017 Traverse. Had less than 10,000 miles on it. Went on vacation and got stranded. Transmission problem. It was replaced and they still had transmission problems afterwards. They got out of that vehicle lease quickly.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
People that drive them love them, people that work on them hate them. That tells me all I need to know.

They definitely keep us technicians employed.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:37 PM

Your going from bad to worse.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:41 PM

I despise our 2012 Traverse. Bought it with around 50k miles on it, has around 90k on it now. Has a cracked rear evaporator core, so AC needs recharged every year or so (pretty spendy to have the rear core replaced). The center console thing between the passenger seats doesn't come out, so using the third row is a PITA. Changing headlights is a chore that requires removal of the front wheel wells. Motor is absolutely gutless. I can't wait until it blows up or we upgrade. Wife love it, so..... eek
Posted By: waggler

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 05:44 PM

Save yourself a lot of grief and just pony up and buy a Toyota. Don't be put-off by a Japanese name, I think they are practically all built in the USA anyway.
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 07:43 PM

Wife had a traverse, under 8k Miles started shorting out on highway losing all power cutting in and out. Took it to Chevy, said they fixed it. Did the same thing half an hour later. Back to Chevy, same crap. Ended up having to get a lemon lawyer and fighting for 4 months, Chevy bought it back from us. She has a Honda now, never going back to Chevy.
Posted By: cablejohn

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 10:12 PM

I attend a lot of utility auctions. Almost every chevy traverse they sell is pushed through the sale lane. I would never buy one.
Posted By: BruceDafter

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/09/21 11:55 PM

130k on our 2010 we bought used 4 yrs ago with 80k on it for my wife. No engine or transmission issues. Ours is AWD and has the tow package for our pop-up camper. A front coil spring broke and we replaced brakes. I'd like to replace it, but used cars are hard to come by and kinda expensive right now. Just don't want our 'good' car be of this age and miles with our daughter 4hours away at college and some fall trips coming up. We just paid it off, so maybe we can bank a little down payment for something else.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 12:34 AM

Toyota or Honda...
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper7
You all convinced me, no Traverse. How about a Ford Explorer? Any opinions on them?

Much better choice!
Posted By: Hunter 1

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 11:18 AM

Not sure what they are talking about.... I own AWD 2012 Chevy Traverse bought brand new in 2011 and it has well over 423.000 km on it about 262.000 Mi on it. Replaced some parts due to high mileage but that is all.

Overall a good vehicle!
Posted By: corky

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 12:07 PM

My wife had one for 4 years with no problems. 2 years ago she decided she didn't need a vehicle that large and replaced it with an Equinox. No problems there either.

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 12:10 PM

I am sure there were some good ones. But after replacing dozens of sets of timing chains and cam phasers with under 30k on them, they left a real bad taste in my mouth. Combine that with a myriad of electrical gremlins and water leaks too numerous to count, I'll pass on them every time.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 12:12 PM

I hear both sides of this. I have multiple friends who have them, with 100k + miles and no major issues. I also have a friend who is a manager at a dealership and says at 100-150k they are known for timing chain issues and transmission issues.

My sister in law was looking at one last week and decided against it.

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axe Camp
I hear both sides of this. I have multiple friends who have them, with 100k + miles and no major issues. I also have a friend who is a manager at a dealership and says at 100-150k they are known for timing chain issues and transmission issues.

My sister in law was looking at one last week and decided against it.

I believe a lot of it depends upon maintenance. If you follow the "oil life" in the dash/computer, they won't last at all. We had timing chains needing replaced with as little as 10k on them., Yes, that's 10, not 100.

If you change oil every 3-4k on them, they'll be better.

That said, most of the people I saw driving them, weren't the regular maintenance types.

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:04 PM

The biggest issue with people is they don't change oil regularly...they wait for pre-set indicator to come on before doing it...I did oil change at 5,000 km (3,000 mi)...it cost a little more but pays off on long run...he you get 10 years or more out of a vehicle you got your money out of it...but to many people they rather stretch oil change and replace the vehicle after 3 to 5 years...good for them!!!

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:07 PM

Just saw your last post...pretty much the same.

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:11 PM

Original transmission on mine and it is working hard at times...took it to places should not have been with this type of vehicle and still made it out....

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:17 PM

Original transmission on mine and it is working hard at times...took it to places should not have been with this type of vehicle and still made it out....
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ILcooner
Toyota or Honda...

If you love (or even like) your wife, Rav4 or CRV...
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 01:57 PM

My son's went out at 97000 miles

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 03:57 PM

My wife test drove a 2012 Nissan Murano this morning and seems to like it. Anyone familiar with them?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Chevy Traverse - 08/10/21 05:59 PM

I had one for a rental on an elk hunt in Utah. I was glad to take it back to the airport
© 2024 Trapperman Forums