Home

Local predator in my dirt shed.

Posted By: Bob Jameson

Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:50 PM

Doing some shed clean out and re arranging the last few weeks. Moved some things that hadn't been moved for years and found a couple surprises.

This big ole boy was the smaller one that allowed me to get close and take a couple photos before running off. The earlier spider was a good 1/2" or more in size by memory.

That thing would easily fill up your hand palm. Just thought I would share.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:55 PM

What’s it’s name, do you have a saddle for that thing!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:56 PM

i hope it's dead !!!!!!
Posted By: gcs

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:58 PM

If my son saw that he'd of burned the shed down, lol

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:59 PM

Its body was as wide as my finger. That tape measure is 1/2" wide. Never saw a spider that large except on national geographic in the rain forest.

I bet that bite would smart a little. I would think something of that size could kill a small mouse if he wanted. Lots of mice and snakes in that shed.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 10:59 PM

Black Wolf Spider ??
Posted By: Bob

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 11:10 PM

And that was when the shed burned down….
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 11:23 PM

It's better to have spiders like that than insects, llike dermestid beetles, that would eat your furs.

Keith
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 11:37 PM

keep those things on YOUR side of the ridge!!!!
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/09/21 11:43 PM

That's a nice one.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 01:52 AM

Wolf spider

Came face to face with one about 12' up a tree trying to get in my tree stand. Told it I would make a deal, don't jump on me or mess with me and I won't mess with you or stomp you.

We got along real good until it got cold enough it disappeared.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 02:01 AM

I grabbed one of those suckers today on accident. I'm not someone that's normally scared of spiders, but when you unexpectedly grab one that big you instinctually do some fancy dancing, lol.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 02:49 AM

Choot him, choot him!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 04:11 AM

Had one as a pet when i was teenager. Fed it crickets and grasahoppers. Fun to watch them
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 08:25 AM

Lots of wolf spiders here. They make an interesting web with a funnel they go in and hide.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 08:49 AM

Wait until you see one with a few hundred tiny ones attached to it.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 12:24 PM

Had a couple in my apartment when I worked at the Badlands in South Dakota that were scary.Hate the things.They got the broom treatment
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 01:23 PM

I draw the line in the house! All spiders in the house are dead meat, outside I leave them alone! Only thing that bothers me is in the fall, walking into their webs. Get a face full every once in awhile. I still leave them alone, they will rebuild their web! lol
Posted By: mink44

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 03:54 PM

Fishing spider. I see them in my shed occasionally.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 03:59 PM

That's a pretty neat looking spider!
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 04:12 PM

Did you add it to one of your formulas?

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 05:18 PM

A couple of weeks back I saw a female near my house in one of our shrubs that had a big cluster of young spiders on its back. We havree quite a few in my area. I can see the reflection of their eyes at a distance when spot lighting fields when shooting skunks at night doing grubbing skunk control work.. i doon't know how many times I ran over to that area thinking it may be a skunk grubbing just to find nothing there. Finally figured it out what the reflection was in our lights.

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/10/21 11:56 PM

I live in a holler in Kentucky and find them in the house regularly. My wife is terrified of them.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 12:10 AM

Hate spiders. Had a widow in the work van a few years back. Went at it with a lighter and some kind of aerosol. Employee told me I’d burn the van down. Told him it wasn’t my driveway and insurance would cover the van so long as we stuck to our story. I’ll take snakes and rodents all day long. Get a spider or tick near me and I’m a little girl.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 01:47 AM

Had the front door open late one summer evening trying to get a little fresh air in with a cross breeze.
Came around the corner and there was a wolf spider that had just climbed over the doorstep and was walking in on the tile. I walked up to him and said, "young man you just turn yourself around and get right back outside where you belong ". And that is exactly what he did. They mind really well. I guess he decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 12:59 PM

Since we’re on spiders….who has orbed weavers? I really like seeing them starting their webs in the fall. It’s a sign things are changing.
Posted By: vermontster

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 01:13 PM

Had a hunting buddy that got bit a couple weeks ago by a brown recluse spider on the ankle while camping. It swelled up the next day and turned red. He waited three days before seeking medical help and they told him he almost waited until ok long. Could have gotten blood poisoning. Supposedly we don’t have brown recluse spider in VT but I know two people that have been bitten by them here
Posted By: k snow

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
Since we’re on spiders….who has orbed weavers? I really like seeing them starting their webs in the fall. It’s a sign things are changing.

We've got them. Their webs are amazing, until you walk into one at 0 dark thirty.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Local predator in my dirt shed. - 08/11/21 01:29 PM

Picked up a 2X4 in the shed one day it had a funny looking spider on it, it had a rough gray finish to it, I shook it off of the board and when it hit the ground it looked like a hot weld hitting the cement and exploding. Turned out to be a female wolf spider covered in little ones 100s of the little suckers.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums