Home

IS it Legal.

Posted By: Boco

IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 01:49 AM

The other thread just got me thinking-is it legal to poison rats down there?
We can get rat poison at Can Tire here-even though there are no rats here.I seen some there the other day when I was in Can Tire buying ant poison.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 01:51 AM

Yep
Posted By: adam m

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:02 AM

Yes as long as it's used for its intended purpose of eliminating rats grin
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:03 AM

Rats are fair game

Probably a legal way to take care of the masked bandits with something but you probably need a license and an approved toxin.

That method on the other thread is non selective and does not take much to get the desired effect. Deer, hogs, cats, dogs and from what I understand buzzards, eagles and any other creatures that feed on the carcass before it can be retrieved

I don't care for using that method either for the record
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:03 AM

Legal but not ethical
Just being quarrelsom in good humor.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:05 AM

If we can keep this *civil * it would be appreciated
Posted By: Bob

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:22 AM

Yes, poisoning rats is legal here. In fact most people in this area throw rat poison bars under the house and in the shed as pre-emptive measures against mice.
Posted By: warrior

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 03:33 AM

Yes, but the legal regulation is the label. Each manufacturer must get a product registered with the USDA with a specific label specifying exactly which species, in what locations and method(s) of application and/or mixing instructions if it is to be mixed PLUS the required PPE the applicator must use. Further each state will need to register said product and may impose further more restrictive labeling requirements but not more lax.

So in effect THE LABEL IS THE LAW. If the label doesn't list the critter you're trying to kill you can't use it. If the critter is somewhere not listed you can't use it there.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:44 PM

rats are beyond unprotected they are dispised by even most greenies , lefties and anti everything else
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 02:56 PM

Use to work at a feedmill and once a month we would throw a few five gallon buckets of rat poison chunks around. Next day they would be every where in all states of dying.
Still could not keep up to them. Wow how they multiply with all that food
Boy the stink in the summer because lots would die in walls and under buildings etc..
If killing them like that bothers you, you should meet one face to face three stories up changing an electric motor. Then you can't kill enough of them by any method
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 03:04 PM

Do rats really eat babies ears off ?
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 03:06 PM

Sounds like a job for Pied Piper !
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
Yes, but the legal regulation is the label. Each manufacturer must get a product registered with the USDA with a specific label specifying exactly which species, in what locations and method(s) of application and/or mixing instructions if it is to be mixed PLUS the required PPE the applicator must use. Further each state will need to register said product and may impose further more restrictive labeling requirements but not more lax.

So in effect THE LABEL IS THE LAW. If the label doesn't list the critter you're trying to kill you can't use it. If the critter is somewhere not listed you can't use it there.

That is correct.
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Use to work at a feedmill and once a month we would throw a few five gallon buckets of rat poison chunks around. Next day they would be every where in all states of dying.
Still could not keep up to them. Wow how they multiply with all that food
Boy the stink in the summer because lots would die in walls and under buildings etc..
If killing them like that bothers you, you should meet one face to face three stories up changing an electric motor. Then you can't kill enough of them by any method

The stink lingers for years . There is old feed mill that hasn't been in business for 30 years and you can still smell dead rat .
Posted By: run

Re: IS it Legal. - 08/10/21 09:48 PM

California has phased out 2nd generation rat poison. I read it in Pest Management Professional. Snap rat trapping is illegal in Washington DC. I think rats are gaining the upper hand. We can still buy pro grade rat poison @ local farm stores. The regulations are definitely tightening up. This is one area Canada maybe better. I won't argue with Boco on this point.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums