Home

Is it too soon to die and wax traps

Posted By: RustyNail15

Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 09:42 PM

Hey guys so my question is it to soon to die and wax my traps? As I’m sure you can tell I’m new to trapping. I’m out of work for 14 days because I COVID close contact and don’t have much to do. Was thinking about dying and waxing my traps but season doesn’t start until November 1 here and North Carolina. My plan is to store them in a plastic Tupperware container outside once their died and waxed to continue to keep any set off of them?

Good idea or should I wait till I’m closer to season?
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 09:48 PM

not at all....ive had traps dyed all yr. Some i didnt set and just treated more. Why wait?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 09:55 PM

Dye em wax em. Mine are done. Might buy some more at a rendezvous this week and have more to do though
Posted By: Mac

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 10:01 PM

I will share my experience with you for what it is worth. Want to say right up front that I am not a big canine guy but do trap for them.
Years ago I decided to dye and wax my traps way ahead of the season. During that time frame i had always stored my traps in galvanized garbage cans. For some reason, back in the 70s it was the trend around here. I believe people saw Alvin Yates and Neil Olson, both long line fox guys using them to keep traps in and just about everybody jumped on the band wagon.
The cans were bought new, thoroughly cleaned and made rugged containers.

I did up several dozen traps as I ran decent fox lines then. About a week before the season I check one of the cans and each and every trap was covered with mold. Talk about being upset! I was extremely Paranoid about any kind of scent or human odor or contamination in those days. For all I know, thinking back, those traps might have worked fine. At $65.00 a piece for red fox, I did not want to chance it, so it was back to square one.

Three or four years ago I had an extremely different experience. This experience taught me something.
I dyed traps ones day, and let them sit on plywood or boards to dry all day. The before nightfall I covered them with a tarp. The next day I waxed the traps, let them sit and dry and air out all day.
Then before dark I placed the traps in five gallon pails fitted with those gizmo covers.

That fall do to multiple reasons, I did very little trapping. The next fall I had found my self in a bind with too many things to do, I admire those that always have time to boil traps in dye, wax them and enjoy it. The older I get, the busier I seem to be. I looked around the trap shed and found several pails of clean traps. They had been stored in the 5 gallon pails with tight screw on lids.
I used those traps to catch a hand full of coyotes.

The difference i believe is that the second scenario allowed the traps to be really cooled off and that made a huge difference.

Hope that story helps.

Mac

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 10:04 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 10:24 PM

Awesome thanks for all the feedback. Also is 5 pounds of wax enough to do 18 traps? I have mb 550’s

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 10:27 PM

yes,,depends on container size and how many at a time u wanna do. you can do it!

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 10:44 PM

Thanks again everyone!!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 11:34 PM

Its way better to wait til the night before you need them. At least that's what I tell myself, lol.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 11:48 PM

Biggest thing is make sure you're traps are cleaned up. If you put em away wet and muddy, you might have a rust issue that needs to be addressed.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 11:48 PM

Not to early but way to hot here. Going to be in the 90's the next few days here.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/10/21 11:57 PM

Dyed and waxed mine couples weeks ago thru them in totes. One less thing to have to deal with before season.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 01:15 AM

Is it ok to use either a stainless steel or aluminum turkey fryer pot
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 01:21 AM

Its hard to wax traps after you die. laugh
Posted By: Savell

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by MNEric

Yes
Posted By: run

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

X2.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 02:18 AM

I agree with the comments above. Get them done now!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 02:49 AM

Die vs Dye…
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 03:09 AM

Get after it. If it makes you feel better put a layer of grass or leaves (something natural) in the bottom of the container. Good luck and let us know how you do
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 05:17 AM

I understand the storage in buckets and that is just fine especially if you use a big amount of traps. I like to hang mine outside after they are dyed and waxed let them hang till I need them. The fresh air dilutes all the smells. Its kinda old school but then so am I.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 10:54 AM

Don't wait
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MNEric

Dye/wax are fine, but if you want to use a trap cleaner like Battleborn or lye or other high pH cleaners, it will destroy aluminum.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 01:36 PM

If you can store the traps in a secure odor free place then go for it if not I’d wait until just before the season started to avoid contamination that might happen. It only takes 1 mouse nest to ruin a pile of clean traps why risk it could ruin the whole season.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

We dont know that for sure. grin

I'd dye them though.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 02:41 PM

Its way better to wait til the night before you need them. At least that's what I tell myself, lol.

Did that many years here in Iowa, dying and waxing the night before the opener. Generally I have done it about a month ahead and left them hanging dyed and waxed on the drying frame till a few days before the season. Put in totes that were lined with dry field grass, worked great for me and mine.
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Is it too soon to die and wax traps - 08/11/21 04:44 PM

Couldn't help this! laugh

© 2024 Trapperman Forums