Home

Trailer Boards

Posted By: Chamacat

Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 10:42 PM

Yep..I'm trying to restore a utility trailer that had a wood floor in it..The wood in the trailer is so far gone and rotted that I can only tell that they were 2x6's. I have been told not to use pressure treated lumber due to shinkage and warparge (SP)..What kind of wood do you have in your trailer?.If you had to replace the floor in your trailer would you change from what's in your trailer to a different type/..The reason I'm asking is that I want to do this once. The trailer will be outside in weather..Thanks
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 10:44 PM

I have a 2005 14 foot trailer with a 2x6 treated floor. No issues yet
Posted By: warrior

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 10:49 PM

Cost no object, well seasoned full dimension white oak. Real world KDAT pressure treat mopped with diesel.

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 10:50 PM

The latter can get slick, though.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 10:51 PM

I used deck boards on mine. No problems.

Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 11:02 PM

Around here I would use white oak family wood . But I can get post oak ,burroak trailer decking for $1.50 bf In your neighborhood i would probably go treated .
We bought a trailer that had rough cut untreated pine that had been coated in used motor oil .we recoated it annualy and it did better than expected . This might be the ticket in your desert enviroment .
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 11:04 PM

Green treated will shrink/warp but not if you allow it to dry first, once it dries its pretty stable. Guessing a couple weeks or months max of dry time on the green treat would be fine.

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/11/21 11:50 PM

KDAT on pressure treat means Kiln Dried After Treatment. Costs a little more but it won't be sopping wet when you get it and more importantly the bulk of the shrinkage and warping will already be done for you in the kiln. Matter of fact KDAT can be sealed immediately rather than the old let dry x months before sealing.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 12:35 AM

Its expensive, but Trex?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 12:37 AM

Screw down some good treated wood it can’t go very far, trailers come with treated when new.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 01:09 AM

Treated ok, oak is best. I save used motor oil and mop on 2 gooseneck floors a couple times a year. Works good just mop it a while b4 u need it and let the sun work on it
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 02:36 AM

Trex weighs a ton vs treated wood of some sort or another. We always use rough cut white oak and treat it with some sort of preservative.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 02:40 AM

Mine has pressure treated 2x6. Bolted them down wet from the lumber yard. They didn't warp/twist because they were bolted to a steal trailer.

Is the deck perfect? No. But I'm not bothered by a board that's 3/16 higher than another mid-span.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Trailer Boards - 08/12/21 03:05 AM

I have a 14 foot utility it was all 2x6 they were only sprayed black on the top side when they sprayed the trailer it made it about 7-8 years

I bought new 2x6 and stained them all on all sides that has helped them last much longer on the second set of boards they are 10 with only 2 showing bad spots at the end I think those are the 2 I had to cut a little shorter to get hem fit in and that end didn't get stained

you fit in the sides and work to the middle your last board or two you put one end in then put a block of 4x4 some times you need 2 in the middle and stand on the other end while you have some one knock the 4x4 out then the board pops right down in

a good staining before installation and a staining again every 4-5 years would probably be ideal I just never got around to staining them again
© 2024 Trapperman Forums