Home

Treating new traps

Posted By: Trapperjim91

Treating new traps - 08/13/21 12:02 PM

Hello i am new to trapping and was not sure the best way to get a light coating of rust on traps before dying them so the dye will stick. I have heard to spray with vinegar or lemon juice? Any insight would be appreciated.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Treating new traps - 08/13/21 12:04 PM

Boil them in a lye based cleaner first to remove all the factory oil. Then leave them outside for a few days. Vinegar will remove old rust.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Treating new traps - 08/13/21 12:56 PM

Just boil and wax them after a season of use they’ll be plenty rusty for next season to take a dye.
Posted By: charles

Re: Treating new traps - 08/13/21 01:13 PM

Some people have run new traps through a dishwasher cycle. Think I would try to remove any oil first, but it should work. I have a handmade knife made by someone on Trapperman. The knife always comes out rusted.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Treating new traps - 08/13/21 02:00 PM

Rust hurts springs. The goal is not to dye the new traps, just degrease and wax them. Boiling in dye is not necessary if there is no rust. As others mentioned, next season they will have some rust and the dye will catch and reduce it to black iron II oxide.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Treating new traps - 10/14/21 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Rust hurts springs.
I imagine it slows them down & weakens them

Re: Treating new traps - 10/14/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
next season they will have some rust and the dye will catch
Speed dip would probably work fine too
Posted By: Savell

Re: Treating new traps - 10/14/21 01:21 AM

.... run through dish washer with soap 1 cycle... run again with no soap... they’ll be degreased at that point (usually a light coat of rust already)

Re: Treating new traps - 10/16/21 04:44 AM

I'd rather do trap prep outside than where I wash dishes
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Treating new traps - 10/16/21 08:32 AM

I wash my new traps at the car wash. Tie chains together and hang from clamps provided for floor mats. Power wash with soap setting a few times and then rinse with clean water. Oil gone.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Treating new traps - 10/16/21 09:44 AM

welcome remove oil and let sit outside , for a few days to a week then dye them , smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums