Home

Lumber Availability

Posted By: corky

Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 03:31 PM

Interesting article:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/half-lumber-dealers-now-sit-202239107.html
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 04:24 PM

Someone needs to get the memo to Home Depot. They're still charging $50 to $65 bucks for a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Isn't it interesting how when there's a shortage of anything prices sky rocket within a day or two, but when the shortage is over prices go down at a snails pace. And they never seem to get down to original levels.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 07:58 PM

They have to sell what they paid to much for before they put out the cheaper stuff
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 09:08 PM

Menards treated 2X4s 8 foot long $3.95 and treated 1X4s 8 foot long $3.49 not bad for treated lumber and I picked out some nice stuff. 4X8 shed siding $30 a sheet I’m thinking of building a shed soon with those prices.

Regular 2X6 8 footers were under $9 a few weeks ago.
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
They have to sell what they paid to much for before they put out the cheaper stuff

But what about all the cheap supply they had on hand before and tripled their money on overnight when prices jumped?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/13/21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by bankrunner
Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan

But what about all the cheap supply they had on hand before and tripled their money on overnight when prices jumped?

Eggzactly! Not just lumber EVERYTHING!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 09:15 AM

4-4 treated 12 at menard 15.35 , was 37.00 a few weeks ago
Posted By: Squash

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 11:38 AM

I will explain it one more time. Price gouging by the mill and the retailer.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
I will explain it one more time. Price gouging by the mill and the retailer.

Yep just like,,, what is going to happen this fall and winter with beef
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 01:48 PM

[Linked Image]
$150 take it or leave it. Lol
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 01:53 PM

If it comes down enough my boys may get that tree house after all.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 02:27 PM

Just say shortage and watch the prices climb learned that in the 70s gas, coffee they just took turns with shortages back then.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 02:51 PM

Now there's talk of a beer shortage coming due to the drought/ poor barley crop.
cry
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Now there's talk of a beer shortage coming due to the drought/ poor barley crop.
cry

Labor shortages in the manufacturing process causing some cut backs on a few brands. My neighbor is already hording his brand!
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 05:12 PM

Just ordered a new sawmill yesterday, figure it'll pay for itself after the first couple projects and no more trips to town for lumber or worrying about Lumber cost.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
Just ordered a new sawmill yesterday, figure it'll pay for itself after the first couple projects and no more trips to town for lumber or worrying about Lumber cost.

Right.
  • Cut a board for nearly nothing.
  • Stack it and dry it for a year or so for free
  • Plane it to finished size
  • complete your project cheaply without even having to go to the store
Sorry about the sarcasm. I, too have a sawmill, and it is great for utilitarian projects. My latest project is quail cage, where the inhabitants are ecstatic. My wife might not be so happy with green rough cut lumber furniture, though.

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

Right.
  • Cut a board for nearly nothing.
  • Stack it and dry it for a year or so for free
  • Plane it to finished size
  • complete your project cheaply without even having to go to the store
Sorry about the sarcasm. I, too have a sawmill, and it is great for utilitarian projects. My latest project is quail cage, where the inhabitants are ecstatic. My wife might not be so happy with green rough cut lumber furniture, though.

I run a tree service so I get many logs and have the equipment to Handel them. The kit for the barn I want to build is 70,000, sawmill is 16k but will be putting about 10 more into it for full hydraulics shortly. Norwood hd38 btw.

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 07:18 PM

Also will be offering on site sawing and cut to order, should compliment the tree service well.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 09:27 PM

My wood all comes from tree services. I give them free reign to dump wood, park their vehicles, etc.

In return I get wood. Some just cut and split for my outdoor boiler fuel. Some for lumber. The too short firewood, culls and slabs from the sawmill become charcoal. I am finally far enough ahead that I have started selling firewood.

My tree services are starting to notice. Maybe the end of a good deal, or possibly a partnership in the making.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/14/21 09:36 PM

Must be finished lumber that's short, pallet shops around here have their yards stacked full.

Re: Lumber Availability - 08/15/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
My wood all comes from tree services. I give them free reign to dump wood, park their vehicles, etc.

In return I get wood. Some just cut and split for my outdoor boiler fuel. Some for lumber. The too short firewood, culls and slabs from the sawmill become charcoal. I am finally far enough ahead that I have started selling firewood.

My tree services are starting to notice. Maybe the end of a good deal, or possibly a partnership in the making.

If you're near the cities and let them park there realize they are getting a smoking deal. Len Busch roses in Plymouth is 1000 a month per vehicle I think and charges 8 dollars per yard to dump anything but chips. You're doing them a favor
© 2024 Trapperman Forums