Home

Big Boy steam locomotive

Posted By: Jiggamitch

Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:24 PM

Big Boy made a stop in my little Pottsboro, TX today. Was really cool to check out. I took a video.

https://youtu.be/Oxi6368mYIs
Posted By: run

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:49 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:49 PM

That is quite a contraption!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:50 PM

Seen those in Lionel Scale…..but never like that video….What a Beast ! Thanks for sharing ! I love trains…and model trains
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:55 PM

It's 2 engines combined is what they were saying. You can see the double set of pistons and wheels. Those wheels were like 6 feet tall.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/13/21 11:57 PM

cool. gotta love that horn
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/14/21 12:22 AM

Those are neat, one important thing to remember it wasn’t that long ago that they still used them to pull diesel engines up over the mountains because of the loss of power the diesel engines have at high altitudes.
Posted By: K52

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/14/21 01:27 AM

It was in Parsons Ks. yesterday morning and a friend &myself went and saw it. Amazing ! It takes 50 gallons of oil and 200 gallons of water to go a mile! It weighs 1.2 Million pounds. That is some American steel and know how on display right there. If you are anywhere near it's stops you should go and see it, you'll be glad you did.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/14/21 01:31 AM

Schedule:

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/14/21 01:32 AM

1.2 million pounds of weight! Impressive!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Big Boy steam locomotive - 08/14/21 03:26 AM

Yeah, my wife drug me away from work to go see it, at Onaga Ks. It was headed east, wasn't expecting it to land in Tx! Looked to me that it burned diesel to make steam. Too many people there and was thirty min late and stayed like thirty min at the stop. Had a late model diesel electric engine in tow, prolly in case it breaks down! lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums