Home

Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw

Posted By: larrywaugh

Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:01 PM

I need to cut some 27 ga sheet metal. I know you can turn your skilsaw blade around . My question is do I need a carbide tipped blade or high speed steel also how many teeth.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:03 PM

I use a finish cut blade Z 40 to cut sheet metal. Yes it has to be carbide tipped and if you can find one with a negative cutting angle, all the better.
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:06 PM

Buy a metal cutting blade. Search metal cutting circular saw blade . I checked om ebay. 15 bucks

just
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:21 PM

There are many cutting disc's made for thin metal, you put them on your saw just like a toothed blade, though they cut much nicer.

Most any good or large hard ware store carries them.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:27 PM

I agree with the comments above and would buy a metal blade. We cut a lot of metal around here and it is the way to go.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:30 PM

I use a thin cut off wheel on my 4" grinder if i am just doing a hanfull of pieces.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 07:50 PM

It’s all about the Diablo Steel Demon. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 09:11 PM

Use the cheapest saw you can get your hands on. that metal dust is hard on bearings and bushings

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 09:17 PM

Thats why ya use a saw blade and not a cutting disk. No metal dust , just very hot metal chips that will sizzle on yer skin. With a worm drive saw, there are almost no sparks either.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 09:24 PM

If you use a toothed blade, you want to make sure it has a high tooth count so as to keep at least 2 teeth on the metal edge, and keep the blade from grabbing the material.
For material that thin I'd use an abrasive wheel in a circle saw. Safety glasses and long sleeves will prevent a disaster. Another way to go is a carbide circle saw blade, but that can be an adventure in pain from hot chips.

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 09:27 PM

We called those little hot chips that stick to your arms " Plumbers fleas " grin
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 09:44 PM

From experience. Use a carbide tipped skill saw blade run the correct direction set for a shallow half inch cut. Don't run a carbide backwards. All the tips will be knocked off.

Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 10:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try an abrasive wheel on a grinder.
Posted By: keets

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
It’s all about the Diablo Steel Demon. Give it a try, you won’t be disappointed.
Posted By: keets

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/20/21 11:40 PM

yup...this one....and eye protection
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/21/21 01:21 AM

Don't forget hearing protection as well. It's kinda loud.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/21/21 03:37 AM

I cut some barn tin the other day with a saw dad has that is specifically made to cut metal. Lower RPM I think.

My advice is to get a face shield, wear long sleeves (preferably denim or canvas shirt) and good gloves.

I started out with just safety glasses. Didn't take long for one of those little metal chips to find my lip. Almost made my eyes water a little
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Cutting sheet metal with a skilsaw - 08/21/21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Use the cheapest saw you can get your hands on. that metal dust is hard on bearings and bushings

I agree. I have a few “extra” Mag77’s, so I use the cheapest saw I have.

I have cut rebar and other various steel with a abrasive blade. For aluminum I use a regular carbide toothed blade and go easy. Has worked well so far. Hang onto the saw like you meant to!

I agree with what others have posted. Eye, ear, and hand protection, all the way.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums