Home

Bit of History

Posted By: eric space

Bit of History - 08/22/21 12:35 AM

About 30 years ago local historian/cemetery locator Dick Longcore came to my father with a list of old cemetery's he was tryin' to locate. Dad knew where some of them were. Dick showed me the list to see if I knew of any of the others. I told him I had stumbled on this one when fox snaring and later took him to the site. Most headstones were just field stones with initials and a date chiseled on them. Many of the graves had been robbed. One of the few readable headstones said "Capt. George DeKay, Kilt by Injins". This happened during the French and Indian War. I see this sign was donated by a descendent of his who lives in Canada and has the same name. Possibly next winter I can get to the cemetery and post a few pics. Right now it is "protected" by a massive amount of multiflora rose bushes.
Translation for the headstone picture " J.A. was born the year 1804". I assume this was a child who did not live to year 1805 and J.A. was his/her first 2 initials. ( I took this picture about 10 years ago at a nearby cemetery, but it shows a fieldstone marker)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Bit of History - 08/22/21 01:06 AM

Interesting, thanks for posting Eric,
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Bit of History - 08/22/21 01:13 AM

I always wonder who walked each path before me. Good post Eric.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Bit of History - 08/22/21 01:24 AM

Love history from the east.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Bit of History - 08/22/21 01:31 AM

It’s always neat to see this kind of history, here there’s not many before about 1850, I’ve heard stories from relation, dug drainage tile, found more than one unmarked grave were the settlers with wagons headed west would have went and probably put a wooden cross up and over the years it disappeared and was lost to time.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Bit of History - 08/22/21 04:18 AM

I had a longtime customer and friend named George "Chuck" DeKay.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums