Home

Still made in America

Posted By: Nessmuck

Still made in America - 08/25/21 02:04 AM

[Linked Image]

Just picked up a new pair of work boots….been wearing redwings for 35 years…got the kicked up insoles…total was 299.94… my legs and feet are happy again. I get about 12-14 months out of them. Being on concrete all day ..takes its toll on the support of the boots. The stitching and leather and soles are fine…but my legs let me know when it’s time for new boots.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 10:51 AM

Same here, been wearing Red Wings at least that long. They have started making some models overseas but, thankfully, they still make the two models I wear here in the good old US of A.

I wear 1411's in the winter and 402's the rest of the year.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:11 AM

Did you read the label ? Made in the USA, with imported materials . Maybe the label is made in the USA ? LOL

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:18 AM

Lot's of manufacturers do that. One notable one is Filson, makers of the famous "Tin Cloth" hunting apparel. Their stuff is made from cotton imported from Mexico. But like Red Wing, assembly is done here in America.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:19 AM

Redwings not what they used to be for sure. My local dealer has soured on them due to many of their boots now being made overseas (china). Good for you if your particular model is one of the few still made here. I made the switch to Thorogood, made in the USA....ALL MODELS made in the USA (Wisconsin). Wish I made the switch sooner, way more comfortable than the Redwings and so far lasting just as long. Everybodies feet are different, get what fits ya!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 12:29 PM

My boots of the last 15 years are hytest made in an Asian country. They are the best I have owned. Supplied by work for the smelter. Kevlar thread, metatarsal, electrical hazard, boots made so you can literally step in a pot of molten metal change boots and go back to work. Felt padding in the bottom to help keep the heat off your foot. They only last about 8 weeks before they get burnt up in the smelter but since changing departments I have only wore one pair out. I get new ones probably once a year to year and a half. Could go longer if I was buying them but I'm not so don't.

The felt padding between the layers of rubber really keep your feet warm outside in winter.

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 12:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Best boot going for me
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 01:01 PM

Big fan of [Linked Image] brand boots.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 02:11 PM

I bought my first and last pair of Redwings about 8 months ago and they are already torn up. My new rockies should be here tomorrow. I bought Redwings because I have a pair of Irish setters that I hunt in and I dearly love them so I thought why not try red wing boots for work since they are the same company? They have hurt me from day one and never gotten better. Not knocking other people's choices by all means get what works for you and for me that is rockies. My last pair lasted over a year and every other boot I've had in the shop hasn't made it longer than 8 months.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 02:36 PM

The big plant in redwing mn is still there. Hasnt been a boot come out of it in a loooooong time. I think we all need to learn how to speak Mandarin If you look at that photo you will see the imported material disclaimer. They probably put the laces on here in CA or someplace
Posted By: DanN

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 05:25 PM

Made is the U.S.A with imported materials --- Translation Made in the U.S.A with chinese leather , foam and rubber.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 07:19 PM

Crocks ... thats where its at.

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 07:35 PM

I'll second that Scuba! I love my crocs amd if I'm not working and it's not freezing that's what I'm wearing! If they made crocs that were welding safe I'd wear them at work!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 07:43 PM

I can't get myself to wear crocks ...they remind me of the Women's 1980s Clogs

[Linked Image]
Womens Clogs 1970s and 80s

Crocks same design
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by DanN
Made is the U.S.A with imported materials --- Translation Made in the U.S.A with chinese leather , foam and rubber.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Redwing has their own tannery in redwing, Minnesota. They use leather from American cattle and tan them right here in the USA. You're probably right on the foam and rubber though, not sure where it comes from.

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 09:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 09:07 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 09:08 PM

The guy in that picture should be horse whipped. You never rock socks with crocs lol.

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 09:15 PM

I will go shoeless before you’d find a pair of crocks on my feet. .....Hey Davisfur..do you drive a Subaru too ?
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:06 PM

I fleshed several thousand coon wearing a pair of crocs. Really got people talking.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ozark trapper ia
I fleshed several thousand coon wearing a pair of crocs. Really got people talking.

Lol...me too...well not a thosand coon, but more than a couple hundred.

Had to finally trash my last pair of camo Crocs....walking and standing in them on hard/concrete floors has about ruined my feet. Plantar fasciitis!!!!!!! Still paying the price.
Posted By: DanN

Re: Still made in America - 08/25/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by fishnhunts
Originally Posted by DanN

This is a pretty ignorant statement. Redwing has their own tannery in redwing, Minnesota. They use leather from American cattle and tan them right here in the USA. You're probably right on the foam and rubber though, not sure where it comes from.

Is it ignorant ? They get their hides in a wet blue state, semi finished , then finish the tanning process at their facility. Who knows where the hides originate from.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:20 AM

Who cares?

The Red Wing work boots I buy are made here in the USA unlike 90% of the footwear sold in America.

What's on your feet?

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:24 AM

Most cowhides in the US are shipped to China for tanning then shipped back to the US.

I ask a former fur dealer that also dealt in raw cowhides how that was economically viable. He didn't know but said that is the way it is done. Apparently there are not a lot of large commercial tanneries left n America.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:28 AM

I thought the mighty marine USMC47 was the only guy on here gay enough to wear crocs. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 01:04 AM

The hides get shipped to China for tanning because China doesn't have the EPA. Lots of chemicals and waste that has to be properly disposed of here in the US but in China they just dump it in the nearest water source and forget about it. Therefore they can tan hides much cheaper because they don't have to worry about proper disposal. Just one more thing the US has sold out to China for a cheaper labor rate. And as far as crocs go most of you guys that are hating on them probably don't have the hair on your chest to wear them anyway. 😏

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 01:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Line Jumper

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
The big plant in redwing mn is still there. Hasnt been a boot come out of it in a loooooong time. I think we all need to learn how to speak Mandarin If you look at that photo you will see the imported material disclaimer. They probably put the laces on here in CA or someplace

They still make some boots in Redwing Mn, that's were I get still get mine. A little store, Walts Shoes, he goes to the plant and gets seconds.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 01:49 AM

Crocs? Not in this lifetime! lol
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 01:52 AM

I bet Savell wears Crocs too.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I will go shoeless before you’d find a pair of crocks on my feet. .....Hey Davisfur..do you drive a Subaru too ?

Me too!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 02:35 AM

Crocks are amazing they can pitch about anything under your foot by just walking normal, it’s like magic. LOL

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 02:42 AM

[quoteAnd as far as crocs go most of you guys that are hating on them probably don't have the hair on your chest to wear them anyway. 😏[/quote]

You can keep em' hairy

[Linked Image]

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 02:44 AM

You girls don't know what you're missing.
Posted By: Oreamnos

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 10:37 AM

White's boots for me. Made in America with Horween leather tanned in America.
Posted By: put'n the dog on

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:04 PM

Like Midlander I switched from Red Wing to Thorogood a few years back. I wore Red Wing for years but quality went downhill. Two years and the soles crumbled apart. I did have them resoled but chose not to buy another pair. I liked that Thorogoods are union made in the US. Three years on this first pair and still going strong. I'd bet I have another year before I need new soles. I like The quality of the leather much more than the RW leather. I will stick with Thorogood from now on.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

Best boot going for me

X2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by put'n the dog on
Like Midlander I switched from Red Wing to Thorogood a few years back. I wore Red Wing for years but quality went downhill. Two years and the soles crumbled apart. I did have them resoled but chose not to buy another pair. I liked that Thorogoods are union made in the US. Three years on this first pair and still going strong. I'd bet I have another year before I need new soles. I like The quality of the leather much more than the RW leather. I will stick with Thorogood from now on.

Good to know. RW has dc'd the model I wore for decades.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 12:37 PM

I just looked at the Thorogood 8" work boots. They are very similar to the Red Wing 402's I wear most of the time but cost about a hundred bucks more.

Part of the description says, "Made In The U.S.A. with Globally Sourced Components." I don't have a problem with that but according to some on this thread that means just the label was put on here in the US. laugh

Like I said above, lot's of manufacturers that make their stuff in America use imported materials.

For now I will stick with my American built Red Wings. If their trend towards having boots built overseas continues, especially if they start building my models overseas, I will look into the Thorogoods.

Where are them Crocs made? grin

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 03:31 PM

Crocs are primarily made in old Mexico but there are other countries that make them as well. I for one don't care. They are the only thing I have found to wear when I'm not working that helps relieve the plantars fasciitis that I developed from the first and only pair of Redwings I've ever owned. My new Rockies should be here today and yes I also don't care if they are made overseas, hopefully between them and the crocs I can repair the damage done by the Redwings. Doesn't matter where they're made if they cripple ya.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
They are the only thing I have found to wear when I'm not working that helps relieve the plantars fasciitis that I developed from the first and only pair of Redwings I've ever owned.

I had a pair of boots I got from Fleet Farm, don't remember the brand.
I could walk about all morning then after I stopped for lunch I could hardly walk again without major pain. That and in the morning when I first got out of bed it was very hard to walk.
The Dr. said I had Plantar Fasciitis. I tossed the boots and bought some new balance shoes. That solved the problem for me.
I now buy only high quality shoes/boots and I have never had an issue since.

As far as crocs I don't really care for relatively open shoes/sandals, too much stuff getting into and then under the feet and they don't stay on my feet at times, like walking in heavy vegetation.

When it comes to your feet it pays to buy quality stuff.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 04:00 PM

Looked at a new pair of Redwings recently, turns out they were not Made in USA. They were not Irish Setters. Ended up with a pair of Keens, which are Made in USA. Keens are working out pretty good so far.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 04:23 PM

Here's what I wear for work and everywhere but not made in U.S.A.

https://www.minnetonkamoccasin.com/double-bottom-softsole

Started wearing these in the boat and just never stopped. I use to wear a work boot, no more. I still have good enough reflexes that when I drop a part, I get me foot outta the way. lol

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 04:26 PM

The Keens have issues with the glue they use on the sole. I’m on my third pair and they are a really comfortable waterproof shoe/boot but the sole keeps coming off them and I have to glue it back on.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 05:44 PM

Lug nut,
What glue works for you?

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Lug nut,
What glue works for you?

Hey !! Staaht yah own thread...” What glue works on my Suck Boots “
Posted By: Snyde901

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 06:32 PM

Both the Redwing 2412's I buy for work and 3340's I wear for dress are Made in USA with no mention of foreign or imported materials.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 07:14 PM

I wear Thorogoods too. But I think I'm about to change that. My feet are pretty tired and sore after work, which is normal. But after my hour drive home I have problems walking from the car to the house... Same thing in the morning too, I have to shuffle from the bed to the bathroom after I wake up.

Not too sure it's the boots. Probably just too many miles over the years.

Mike

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 07:22 PM

That's old age Mike, I have the same thing sometimes after a hard day at work then a long drive home. My legs and feet don't want to work right away after sitting so long...

It ain't the boots.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Lug nut,
What glue works for you?

I usually use Shoe Goop. Why, your Keen soles coming off too? I wear the Keen Targhee boots when I'm not working.

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
That's old age Mike, I have the same thing sometimes after a hard day at work then a long drive home. My legs and feet don't want to work right away after sitting so long...

It ain't the boots.

Aftah a 1/2 drive....I need about 30 yards to loosen up....I feel like the “ Tin Man “
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Still made in America - 08/26/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

It ain't the boots.

I reckon so Lug... Spending hours on a ladder doesn't help at all.

Mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums