Home

Alaskan Hunting story

Posted By: 30/06

Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 05:33 PM

You may recall that over the past year I've posed various rifle and shooting questions to my T'man Select Panel of Experts. That was a key part of my 15yo daughter's selection, practice, and proficiency with her Bergara B14 in .308 with Leupold 1.5x5 scope. We did lots of shooting over the summer, mostly with .22 and finishing each session with a few .308 shots. Watching her body position and breathing, I knew she was getting better, though kneeling with shooting sticks wasn't producing satisfactory groups. All this with Milspec 7.62x51 ammo and at 65 yards. So I bought the Magpul bipod, she switched to prone, and voila! She was outshooting me at 200yds. Paternal pride.

Throughout a year of weekly checks for hunting ammo, I'd happened upon 2 boxes of Nosler ammo with 168 gr copper bullets. I ratholed them. She took the online portion of Alaska Hunter's Safety, and spent a sleepless night worrying about the practical shooting test. She forbade me from watching, and gave me a strict pickup time. Well the test ran long, so I was there for her shooting. She saw me, her face had a dreadful look. But as soon as she picked up the .22, I knew she'd do well. You could tell by her body position and control. Need I say she shot the best group in the test? More paternal pride.

Last winter she helped me find, shoot and pack out, by foot, 2 caribou. Then she cooked many meals from them. She also had a few minor breakdowns over Freshman Algebra. And then we failed to draw any game tags we'd applied for. In a moment of paternal empathy, I told her if she got good grades, and kept practicing, I'd take her to the Brooks Range for caribou. The little bugger went out and scored straight A's! Now I had to live up to my promise.

As a professional pilot, I have friends who are professional pilots, and some own aircraft ideally suited for a Brooks Range drop off. Plan A was to a tiny mountain lake via Cessna floatplane, but that airplane broke on our departure date, so he flew us up to a tundra bench above a braided river valley in the deHavilland Beaver. We'd packed light, like backpacker light, and were well underweight. We had an awesome flight in, and set up camp under sunny skies. We spotted a total of 12 bull caribou that evening, several of them whoppers, but couldn't pursue due to same Alaska's same-day-airborne rule.

Next morning she got me up at 0530. I'd just finished my cup of coffee at 0600 when we saw 4 bulls moving up valley. Now caribou move fast, even when they are moseying along grazing, so you've got to get ahead of them. We did, the wind was right, we had a thin strip of willows and a few boulders for concealment, and she set up on a gravel bar for a shot. They didn't stop, so she took a walking shot at 256 yards. Actually, she took 3 shots. The first 2 had no reaction. On the 3rd, Mr. Double Shovel turned around, took 2 steps down stream, and tipped over in the shallow river. Turns out shots 1 and 2 were through liver, 3rd through lungs. We drug her bull onto an island and started cutting. A school of small Arctic Char gathered to eat the stuff I rinsed off my knife. With heavy packs and a big velvety rack, we packed back to camp, had a bit to eat and tipped over for a nap. Bliss.

Morning #2 was vary similar, except at least I got to finish coffee and breakfast. Again, 4 bulls moving upriver. This time her shot was at 320 yds, and the smaller bull was standing still. 1st shot, no reaction. 2nd shot, bull turned around and tipped over. Both shots through ribs 5 and 7 into lungs. Perfect. We cut, we packed, but no char to feed. In pursuit, Dear Daughter had led us through an over-our-boots channel, and now we were wet. A rain squall rolled up our valley from the coast, the start of 3 days of rain and snow and wind. Typical North Slope weather for this season.

We had out meat cache and food cache about 150 yards away from tent where we could watch from tent. We spent much of the remaining 3 days in tent, napping, reading, with brief outings to check our gut piles for bear or wolverine, and for daughter to scrape velvet from her racks. Never saw any carnivores, but plenty of Wolf, Wolverine, and Grizzly tracks. No human sign other than our own footprints. An Everts DC6 flew high overhead one day, probably fuel to Kaktovik.

The upside of switching to the Beaver is we could carry home 2 'bou. Actually, we could have carried out 4, her limit, but 2 was plenty. On pickup day, the Beaver came roaring out of the snow and we quickly packed up and climbed in. Away we went into steadily clearing skies. Wow! What a trip. Sorry this turned out to be a novella, but I hope you enjoy it. Have I mentioned that I'm a proud Papa enough?!
Posted By: white17

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 05:49 PM

That's great !!! Thanks for sharing that ! Any pix ??
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 06:07 PM

Be sorry for nothing, it was a great read. Congratulations to both you and your daughter...
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 06:14 PM

Great story of good times...you have a daughter to be very proud of! They don't turn out that way by accident! You get back what you put in.
Posted By: sotired

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 06:20 PM

Awesome job on both the story, and the daughter!
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 06:22 PM

Great story, thank you for sharing.

Congratulations to 'The Little Miss' on aceing the shooting test, and scoring two nice Bulls. cool

Congratulations to yourself, as well for putting the time and effort to teach and provide the opportunity for your daughter to be successful in her endeavors. smile

Charlie
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 06:56 PM

Once I started reading , I couldnt put it down.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 07:01 PM

good story..congrats!!

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 07:31 PM

Thanks all. It was fun writing it down.
White 17, she brought her phone, and has the pics, I'll try to post something.
I used some new technology on this trip that I appreciated:
-InReach GPS/satellite texter: It was comforting to mom back home. We did twice daily check ins. I also texted numerous weather reports to Beaver pilot.
-Range finder: daughter gave me one for Christmas. I figured it was just another gadget, but it really added to our confidence level on the longer shots.
-New Eureka mountain tent: It was awfully light, but withstood a gale one night. I was in my sleeping bag contingency planning for when it blew up and shredded, but it did great.
-Magpul Bipod: maybe not new, but new for me. Perfect for the terrain we were in.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 09:18 PM

Parenting done right!
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 09:38 PM

That's for sharing! Congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 11:15 PM

nice read waiting for the pics.
Good follow up in the tools you got to use
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 11:28 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the story!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 11:35 PM

yes thanks for sharing , a great read !!!!! smile
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/26/21 11:53 PM

Proud parent indeed and you have every right to be. Great story too!
Posted By: James

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 03:57 AM

Wonderful story, and well-written to boot. Congratulations.

Jim
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 04:46 AM

Excellent , glad you went long , love details.

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 05:08 AM

Okay, here goes, my first attempt at posting photos.
Summer practice, pre-bipod.

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 05:09 AM

Oops, back to the drawing board, picture didn't attach. Sorry
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 06:39 AM

Great story.

My daughter got her first moose at 16 and another at 18. College ended those golden hunts . Enjoy them.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 11:50 AM

Awesome Story!
Posted By: garymc

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 12:16 PM

Great Story. Man do I love Alaska. Only been fishing so far, but hunting Alaska is on my list.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 01:07 PM

Great story. Hope you get the pictures to work.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 01:08 PM

Excellent write up. Enjoy the caribou meat as I know it is quite tasty!

Chris
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 02:20 PM

Very entertaining story of your adventure. Good job both of you. Exceptional shooting for your daughter. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: jk

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 06:46 PM

Good job and well written, need to adopt a bald headed son? I am available, but probably twice your age.....jk
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/27/21 07:08 PM

Thanks for the hunt...
Both of you done good.
Again, thanks, read.every word and enjoyed it.

Donnie

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:15 AM

Lets's try this again.

Attached picture A9D427AF-F455-448C-B292-7B3287D62118.jpeg

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:16 AM

That was a picture of her pre-bipod practice this past summer.

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:23 AM

Cute little rifle !!

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:25 AM

Our view looking north, downstream from camp on a nice day? From this vantage, we spotted quite a few caribou, mostly mature bulls. The Arctic Ocean is about 30 miles distant, give or take a few.

Attached picture 3EB61150-176D-498A-8AE6-394B7289625D.jpeg

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:36 AM

Oops! Another rookie photo error.
Note rifle propped up on gravel. We drug this 'bou across the channel to the drier island behind her to cut up. Arctic Piranhas gathered in that channel to glean scraps and clots rinsed from my knife.

Attached picture 0C855870-F595-471C-A233-A74C184240B2.jpeg

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:43 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:44 AM

I'm planning on doing something like this with my daughter when she gets older! Good job!!

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:50 AM

Camp, the day prior to scheduled pick up. That's the tent that withstood strong winds. I wasn't outside in the worst of it, but my rough guess is around 30 knots. Those winds died down just in time for it to start snowing. We had good enough gear that we were never cold, or even uncomfortable, just a bit damp. We had plenty of food, and it was easy to make coffee from my sleeping bag with our MSR isobutane stove carefully tended in the tent vestibule, (another technological upgrade). I brought double the coffee I thought I'd want, and I enjoyed almost all of it!

Attached picture D0A6F505-303A-4B0A-A49C-8F488A37E14C.jpeg

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 01:56 AM

Thanks White 17 for the pix fix. That little sliver of bright green is the top of our meat cache tarp.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Lets's try this again.

I can't see for sure from the picture , but is her elbow on her knee or hooked past her knee?

you want the flat of the back of the arm against the front of the knee , the elbow on the knee rolls and is hard to make stable

still not as stable as a bi-pod but possibly an idea why she was having difficulty with it

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 04:15 AM

You are correct, sir. In the picture, her point of elbow is on top of her knee, which I agree, is quite wobbly. We have since worked on better positioning of that elbow. She has also decided that she prefers sitting to kneeling, opposite of me.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 04:25 AM

Professional pilot? Who do you work for/06? I turn wrenches at Everts. First bou hunt I ever did was landing my plane along the tag, out west.

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 10:35 PM

Air Arctic, east ramp
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Alaskan Hunting story - 08/28/21 10:50 PM

Refreshing read. cool
© 2024 Trapperman Forums