Home

drought buster??

Posted By: NonPCfed

drought buster?? - 08/29/21 01:10 PM

We got more rain yesterday than we did in all of June and July, maybe May as well. It might not be a complete drought buster but at least its s step towards that way. Too late to improve the crop yields, they're pretty much set for the year but maybe start to recharge the sub-moisture for next season. Maybe start to refill a mrat slough or two in the area smile...
Posted By: Northof50

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 01:23 PM

was it a fast or slow rain fall
we got a much needed rain last week but still 20 inches overall down in the last 2 years
Posted By: Northof50

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 01:24 PM

depends on what way this southern storm tracks now as well as for more coming
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 01:26 PM

We received next to nothing here will see what we get out or the hurricane when it blows through down south.
Posted By: corky

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 02:01 PM

Inch and a half last night. First rain over 0.2 in 3 weeks.

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 02:33 PM

The rain came between 4:30 and about 11 pm yesterday. NWS at Soo Foo airport recorded 3.35 inches yesterday. August to date has accounted for 29% of the precip that this weather station has received in 2021!!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 02:48 PM

I got around five inches, some got 8+"
Posted By: DWC

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 02:53 PM

Im just hoping its enough to float a boat on the Big Sioux. Probably not.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
Im just hoping its enough to float a boat on the Big Sioux. Probably not.

The Falls in Sioux Falls sure came up a lot no clue how long it will stay up.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 03:35 PM

Last nite (Saturday 8-28-21) I got 2.50" in my gauge. That is just about equal to all the rain I got put together since first of May... maybe the middle of May. I am thankful for the rain but many corn field here will be half to maybe two thirds of what they would have made in an average year. Irrigated fields will be ok. It is what it is.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 03:44 PM

Yep we finally got a good shot of rain last night...much needed.
Jim
Posted By: Stewie

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 04:02 PM

Got some much needed rain. Too late for this years crop but got to start sometime for next year. Lost 1 quarter to hail and several others damaged. The hail path was huge and everything is totally destroyed in it's path. A neighbor 3 miles north of me had a pivot of corn and one of beans. Bean field looks like it has been disked and the corn is reduced to 18 inch stumps. It looks like they ran a silage chopper over it. The path was 4 miles wide and went at least 100 miles from what I hear. A small town 5 miles northeast of me they say every roof in town needs to be redone and any vehicle that was outside was totaled. Never seen anything like it.

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 05:09 PM

Yep, the insurance adjusters will be busy in places. Not as good as never having to deal with the losses but at least some recoup of things. People without insurance, just bad deal all around.

Local evidence from bedroom town was about 5+ inches yesterday. Sort of makes sense because the first big storm, the one that the sirens went off about, was on a mild northeast track that would have put the Soo Foo airport (NWS station) on its edge whereas more over here a larger brunt of the rain but missing the violent stuff on a similar shallow northeast track but further south of here by 10 miles or so.

DWC- The river might be up some by the middle of fall but probably not enough to do a boat-based adventure without a lot of frustration. I tried trapping our side of the Big Sioux from Newton Hills to Fairview in 1989 (a drought year) by canoe and was out of the canoe pulling it along as much as I was in it. I think I ended up setting the little line up with the canoe but humped it out the rest of the time to avoid the hassle. It was a learning lesson year...
Posted By: bankrunner

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 09:04 PM

We got 5 inches but upstream got over 12" here in northeast Iowa. Severe flooding now.
Posted By: jk

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 09:41 PM

You would not believe northern Pa. We got some rain every week since spring. Everything is green, cut the lawn every 5 days, crops look great. Unbelievable and has not been extremely hot. a day or to it hit 100 and last ten days hot and humid but really a nice summer. See what the winter brings.......jk
Posted By: DWC

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 09:48 PM

Juat saw he Sioux. Boat will go no problem. Some creeks are runnin hard and full too. It could reach top of the banks tomorrow by the way it looks. Ill probably try the boat around Akron in a few days.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: drought buster?? - 08/29/21 10:08 PM

we just got rain two days in a row , first rain since early spring , it's rain all around us , with in 10 miles but we just did not get any, my pond is down 5 foot ,
© 2024 Trapperman Forums