Home

Choke pole- Can I make one?

Posted By: SpellNC9

Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/30/21 10:33 PM

I was wondering if I can make a choke pole instead of buying one? Any thoughts?
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/30/21 10:39 PM

all you need is some 3/4 or 1 inch pipe in whatever length desired,some clothes line
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/30/21 10:43 PM

Yes, if one person can do so can another.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/30/21 11:07 PM

Of course you can but.... I think a Ketch All pole is one of the best investments I have ever made. Almost 100% confidence in that.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/30/21 11:40 PM

Very inexpensive and easy to make as long as your not trying to release lion or wolf.
Posted By: learch

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 12:04 AM

I used 1” or so conduit. I cut mine a couple inches less than the width of my atv, about 40”. I got some rubber coated cable, pretty heavy stuff but I don’t know the exact diameter. Bought a clothes line tensioner and epoxied it into the he end of the conduit.’put a feral on one end to f the cable, smash the open end of the conduit to the feral then loop the cable up though the conduit and through the tensioner. Cut the cable to the proper length and add some type of handle. I used an old weed wacker pull string handle.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 12:22 AM

I use this in the end of 1" I/D electrical conduet.
[Linked Image]
Works for me
Posted By: SpellNC9

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 01:11 AM

how does the clothes line tensioner work? never used one
Posted By: schmattz

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 01:58 AM

You certainly can. Check out MY YouTube channel in my signature below or Schmattz Outdoors on YouTube. Two videos ago I showed how I built my own. Worked really well on about 35 Coyotes last season and I will be using it again with no changes.

Here is the link to my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siIskJN1qrc

Schmattz
Posted By: Boco

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 02:04 AM

You have a snare in your pocket?
99.9% of the fur I catch is dispatched at the set,but if I need to make a catch pole no problem.
If you're dealing with live animals all the time,might just want to buy one.
Posted By: Marathon

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 02:09 AM

Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 05:42 AM

I've made them like this for years. They are no Death Ray for dispatching though they do the trick and they aren't Katch-All poles for releasing animals, but they have never let me down for that either. I don't trust the clothes line tensioners, they do fail eventually.

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I’ll try to describe the one I built… I took a 5-foot piece of metal conduit about 1 inch OD. Then I took a hacksaw and holding the conduit up and down I sawed a notch in the end about 1 ˝” deep and wide enough for a small chain link to fit in it. Then I got a 6 foot piece of chain (small dog chain) and a 2’ piece of 1/8" cable. I attached one end of the cable to one end of the chain by running it through the last chain link and using a 1/4" nut mashed on the cable. Then using a drill, drill a small hole through the side of the conduit 1” from the opposite end you cut the notches in. run the other end of the cable through this hole and use a single ferrule to attach the cable to this hole. Then drop the chain back through the conduit. This will leave a cable loop at one end and the chain sticking out the other end of the conduit. To catch the animal, put the loop over the animals neck pull the chain and hook it in the notch on the back of the pole. To release them pull the chain out of the notch and let it slip back through the conduit.

This little cheap pole is great for releasing small critters you don’t want to kill.

I’m sure that’s all clear as mud. Here are some pictures....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here it is in action releasing an otter...

[Linked Image]

~ADC~
Posted By: schmattz

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 08/31/21 11:48 PM

The difference between ADC's pole (which I like how simple it is) and mine is that mine is a true choke pole not a catch pole. I would make one like ADC's if I wanted a catch pole.

I added the link to my video in my post above.

Schmattz
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 09/01/21 12:08 AM

I make mine with heavy 1.5 inch PVC pipe. Unlike most folks, I need something that a cougar won’t twist into knots!
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 09/01/21 12:18 AM

I made one based off ADC's about the time he posted the original. I used 3/4 galvanized and used an end cap to screw on the end. Used it for years. Did the double walled pvc thing for a few years before I went with the metal rod going all the way down the shaft. Still have it. And my coyote tongs.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 09/01/21 01:11 AM

Mine self-identifies as a release pole, not as a choke pole. grin
Posted By: NEtrapper.

Re: Choke pole- Can I make one? - 09/03/21 01:01 AM

Seen this post the other day and gave me an idea and motivation to dig the welder out and build something on a rainy day off. Will give it a workout this season and see how it works. Might build a shorter one as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums