Home

Hunting dogs today

Posted By: concrete man

Hunting dogs today - 09/01/21 04:45 PM

There is a saying among hound hunters bird hunter ect that only the very best dogs get accidentally gets hit by cars . when we apply this theory to current people white house. They will live forever . Sad isn't it.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/01/21 05:06 PM

I can only confirm regarding good hounds...it is true that the good ones are at higher risk for unexpected death. It never fails if something goes south, it's with your good hound and the lazy one comes back untouched. The reason for this is that your good hound is putting out 120% everyday it gets turned loose. It has one thing on it's mind and it aint artificial boundaries or cars.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/01/21 09:53 PM

I've heard it said , " I've seen good bear hounds and I've seen old bear hounds . But usually , it's either one or the other . "

Holds true.
Posted By: headache73

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/01/21 10:19 PM

A hound that won't leave your side can't get in too much trouble
Posted By: k9-hunter

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/02/21 12:01 AM

want a hound dead have someone offer you decent money and turn it down almost a guarantee it wont live another month happened to me several times than an old hound guy told me the same thing
Posted By: SJA

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/02/21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by k9-hunter
want a hound dead have someone offer you decent money and turn it down almost a guarantee it wont live another month happened to me several times than an old hound guy told me the same thing

Well, watch the first "John Wick" movie and take it from there.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/02/21 12:08 AM

bird dog and bear hound are opposites on the spectrum.
A good bird dog stays close, follows commands and never takes off after anything other than what is being hunted.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Hunting dogs today - 09/02/21 12:13 PM

Hounds are the "remedial students" of the dog world. They do the hunting,,, you are merely the chauffer and executioner. Genetics in the dog world are being "watered" more and more with the designer dogs based on a dog's looks. People seem to forget the original purpose of a hunting dog and the desired characteristics that were developed to assist man. Seeing eye and rescue dogs now are heavily laced with labs and retrievers, an offshoot of the original intent and a loss (in my mind) of the genetic effort poured into the breed. My take ............................ the mike
© 2024 Trapperman Forums