Home

Soil blocker

Posted By: bowhunter27295

Soil blocker - 09/01/21 10:36 PM

Anyone use a soil blocker for seed starting? Ladbrooke is the brand name.

Just curious.
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Soil blocker - 09/01/21 10:49 PM

What exactly is that ?? Never heard of it but could learn

Soil blocker to me is like cover crop, I place 3 to 4 inches of hard

wood mulch every year at the end of the season along with orga.nic

nitrogen and 10-10-10

Please explain your question, I am ignorant
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Soil blocker - 09/01/21 10:51 PM

I considered it, but honestly the more I thought about it the more I realized that it wouldn't really save me any money or effort over using the peat pellets and cell trays. Also not convinced that the air pruning of the roots that would happen that early in the life cycle would be a good thing.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Soil blocker - 09/01/21 10:57 PM

Is that the tool that compresses soil into little cubes for starting seedlings?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Soil blocker - 09/01/21 11:29 PM

I'm lost too Buzzard
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I'm lost too Buzzard

I just want to learn anything new that's going on
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 12:06 AM

This is what he's talking about..... https://www.growjourney.com/use-ladbrooke-soil-blockers-seed-starting/
Posted By: Choo

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 01:24 AM

I've used one before. I liked it definitely handy if you are doing a lot of transplants. Plants have a tendency to root together though if left for an extended time. Also those were set up with a timed mister so they didn't dry out as easily.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 11:58 AM

Buzzard, if you want to try something new, try no-till gardening with or without cover crops in the "off" season. Your soil health will improve each year and you will use less water................ the mike
Posted By: Rye

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 01:06 PM

Been looking at moving to a blocker as well. Need ot get one and play with a soil recipe to figure out if it'll work for my context. One of the concepts about it I like is that you are consistently transplanting in small soil blocks loaded with amendments. But also just getting away from the small cell trays that are a PITA to get starts out of.
Posted By: Choo

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bowhunter27295
Originally Posted by Choo
I've used one before. I liked it definitely handy if you are doing a lot of transplants. Plants have a tendency to root together though if left for an extended time. Also those were set up with a timed mister so they didn't dry out as easily.

Did you use the four block model? What was your most successful soil blend?

it was a 12 block model, we just used standard pro mix. have to get it fairly wet and pack it two or three times. It took a few tries at the beginning to get the hang of it and the right consistency.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Soil blocker - 09/02/21 02:47 PM

straw
© 2024 Trapperman Forums