Home

Lookout, smallmouths!

Posted By: James

Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/02/21 09:38 PM

My brother, his friend, and I are about to head to Monticello, MN, to educate the local smallmouth bass. Going to fish for smallmouth bass, plus whatever else is foolish enough to attack our flies. Might catch other species too. I've caught catfish on a fly before.

Good luck on today's game against OSU--you'll need it, and I'd like to watch a good game.

Then on to Wisconsin, to educate their fish. And finally back to MN to give Mille Lacs Lake a try, bass and pike.

Buzz, you should join us. We have room for a fourth.

Jim
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/02/21 09:42 PM

I wish, someday I hope.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/02/21 09:53 PM

If you need anything I live a few miles from Monticello, feel free to reach out.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/02/21 10:45 PM

Good luck james, those are some premier small mouth fishing locations.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 12:22 AM

Not sure but do they have trout where your going, I hope you have a good time, at least now it shouldn’t be to hot.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 12:45 AM

There are some monster Smallmouth and Pike in Mille Lacs just waiting for your arrival. Hope you run into some of them.
Posted By: Supergoose

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 01:21 AM

Catch a bunch !!
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 01:47 AM

James you are missing out if you aren't trying for smallmouth and pike on your trips to Idaho. I think you would be pleasantly surprised. Good luck on your trip.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 01:49 AM

James. The Mississippi is super low. Fish are very concentrated. You should do well. If you have time south of the Sartell dam to St Cloud is great area as well. Good Luck
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
James. The Mississippi is super low. Fish are very concentrated. You should do well. If you have time south of the Sartell dam to St Cloud is great area as well. Good Luck

That's where I live and spend most of my fishing time. Probably, better navigable water there than Monticello.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Reaperman

Re: Lookout, smallmouths! - 09/03/21 02:09 AM

If you have time, go about 25 miles north of Monticello and fish between the Sartell and Sauk Rapids bridges. You would need a canoe for sure its rocky and shallow now. Me and a buddy fished the two mile stretch a few weeks ago and caught a ton of smallies. I used a whopper plopper and he used a shallow crank bait. I opted for the top water because I was worried about getting hooked in the rocks. He lost one crank bait. There were two fisherman in another canoe from Monticello fishing the same stretch. They had a little counter to keep track how many bass they caught. They said they were up to 41 when we talked to them around 10 am.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums