Home

Anybody have experience with Ironwood

Posted By: coal miner

Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 10:53 PM

Anybody have any Experience working with Ironwood ? Thank You
Posted By: charles

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:00 PM

Pretty hard wood. What are you using it for?
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:07 PM

I turned a lot of green ironwood, AKA Eastern Hophornbeam, on a lathe, around 20 years ago. It split badly, fairly far in from the ends, as it dried. The long pieces, I let dry, did much better. The ends cracked but the interior parts stayed good. The wood got surprisingly light with time. I really like the muscle like appearance of the natural wood. A lot of people in Ohio call it muscle wood. The thickest piece I worked was maybe 7 or 8 inches thick. The ironwood trees stay really small in my area. You could not get much of a board out of one.

Keith
Posted By: k snow

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:32 PM

I make primitive bows form American hop hornbeam, called ironwood around here. Very hard, very dense. Logs split terribly once the batk is removed. I cut them in the winter, strip the back with a draw knife and shellac the entire log.

Ironwood is also a common name for blue beech here, which is known as musclewood in other areas. All I know about that is it is very dense.

Do you have a picture of the trees in question?

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:32 PM

I love the look of the wood [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: k snow

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:33 PM

Wow, thats no ironwood I am familiar with.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:34 PM

We use to burn alot of it here. Burns like coal. Like keith said it doesnt get too big around here either. If its thigh thick its pretty fair.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by coal miner
I love the look of the wood [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eastern Hophornbeam is very light colored, almost white, that's something else. There's a lot of different common names for wood and fish too, that mean different species in different parts of the country.

Keith
Posted By: old243

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:56 PM

If you are going to cut an ironwood, with a chainsaw. Do it last thing before heading home , or plan on resharpening your saw. They will dull it in a hurry. old243

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/04/21 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by old243
If you are going to cut an ironwood, with a chainsaw. Do it last thing before heading home , or plan on resharpening your saw. They will dull it in a hurry. old243

true!!
Posted By: nh toe pincher

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 12:24 AM

if you cut it with a chainsaw in low light you can actually see sparks flyin' off of the chain! and oh yes, its dull fast.
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 01:26 AM

The pictured wood is desert ironwood from southwestern deserts. Its an expensive and very hard wood. The burl is very expensive and used a lot for knife handles. The stuff in the midwest and other areas is mostly just good firewood.
Posted By: K52

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 01:41 AM

I made a pair of grips for my 1911 out of that desert ironwood. I bought the wood online and cut it with a bandsaw then filed to the shape and contour I wanted. Turn out beautiful with several coats of hand rubbed oil. What the guys back East and up North call ironwood is completely different wood.

Ironwood
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 02:12 AM

Made a self bow from Ironwood ( E.. Hophornbeam). There is a lot of it around these parts, although I have absolutely none on my place. The other "Ironwood" is more common downstate. It is called Hornbeam, Blue Beech, and musclewood, as already stated above.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by nh toe pincher
if you cut it with a chainsaw in low light you can actually see sparks flyin' off of the chain! and oh yes, its dull fast.

Same thing with chestnut oak, or what many call rock oak. Cut a dead one, you’ll definitely see sparks flying.
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 02:26 AM

The man who gave me my start in my profession also ran a sawmill.
He turned bats out of green ironwood.
I understand that some are still in use today on the local softball fields.
Albert has been gone for 13 years.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 03:26 AM

A buddy gave me two pieces of desert ironwood years ago. I made some knife scales from it. Hardest stuff I've ever touched.... and I've worked with a bunch of exotic hardwood.

Pete
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 03:46 AM

Albert told me that if you didn't work ironwood when it was green, the only way to work it was with a file or a sander.
After that, BTUs constituted it's only value.
Posted By: Rimrock1

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 04:51 AM

I have made several knife handles out of Desert Ironwood. Beautiful !! Very hard and dense. It is so oily that there is no real need to add any finish. It shines to where it looks like you can almost see into it.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 04:59 AM

Sounds like something that would make a nice guitar!

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 09:55 AM

hornbeam is what people refer to as ironwood here.

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 10:57 PM

Arizona/Mexico Ironwood
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/05/21 11:15 PM

I've not worked with ironwood. True desert ironwood (Olneya tesota) comes from Mexico, California, or Arizona. It has a Janka hardness of 2980 lbs. Compare that with most oaks which are around 1300. I have worked quite a bit with Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus ledifolius) which grows around here where I live. It is (arguably) the hardest wood that is native to North America, at a Janka hardness of 3200. I've tried it extensively for knife scales, but I do not use it any longer. I was finishing a knife handle and accidently dropped the thing on a cement floor. It shattered into a million fragments, just as glass would shatter. Figured if it was that hard, I didn't want it for knife scales. Unfortunate, as it has some beautiful figure and color. I suspect that desert ironwood might react the same to being dropped on cement or rocks, although I do know knifemakers that use it extensively.

Hope this helps.

Jack

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 01:17 AM

Thanks , I am going to make Knive scales but lately I really enjoy using Camel Bone
Posted By: Starbits

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 02:12 AM

The dust for desert ironwood is toxic, both to breathe and to the skin (can cause a rash). Be careful sanding it.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 03:18 AM

I used a piece in the smoker, thought it was some kind of mesquite wow! Made our mouths numb.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 08:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Ostrya virginiana

[Linked Image]

Carpinus Caroliniana

Both of these are called musclewood, Ironwood, and hophornbeam
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 10:31 AM

I deal with it every morning when I wake up.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Anybody have experience with Ironwood - 09/06/21 11:12 AM

In Elkas pic, the top one is it to me though not seen it that large. Grows in some wet areas and indestructible
as coon drags. The wood not dark like miners pic.
Regional "jargon" always interesting.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums