Home

Climate Change Lies

Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 10:38 PM

I heard a news clip where the greenies and the leader of the free world stated that hurricanes today are more numerous and more deadly than ever in the past because of climate change caused by man. These people as well as the ones trying to rewrite history are certified nuts.

Well just for the record:

On Sept. 8, 1900, a massive hurricane destroyed nearly a third of the city of Galveston, Texas; approximately 7,000 people died in the storm.

On September 14th, 1919 only after a day’s warning, a category 3 storm thrashed South Texas, with heavy rains and high storm surge. Tides washed away nearly 23 blocks of homes in Corpus Christi, Texas. In the aftermath, 284 bodies were pulled from the city.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 10:45 PM

If there are any monuments to commemorate those storms they must be removed. They do not fit today's narrative.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 10:59 PM

https://www.investors.com/politics/...admits-real-motive-behind-warming-scare/

from the article:

"If they were honest, the climate alarmists would admit that they are not working feverishly to hold down global temperatures -- they would acknowledge that they are instead consumed with the goal of holding down capitalism and establishing a global welfare state.

Have doubts? Then listen to the words of former United Nations climate official Ottmar Edenhofer:

"One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with the environmental policy anymore, with problems such as deforestation or the ozone hole," said Edenhofer, who co-chaired the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change working group on Mitigation of Climate Change from 2008 to 2015."
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:12 PM

While I don't buy into all the climate change political motivations. The truth seems to be the climate is changing. I don't pretend to know why but I am sure the extra taxes and most regulations will have no effect. That being said the death toll from storms over 100 years ago is not a good matrix for determining strength of the storms. Now I have not researched those storms or this last one and I am just pointing out the ill advised method the OP used to argue against any climate change.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:17 PM

Not a very fair comparison to the Galveston Hurricane. Keep in mind there was no TV, no Radio, almost no phone systems to warn people and that detection equipment like satellites, airplanes, and radar hadn't been invented yet. A perfect Cat. 5 storm blew up on them with no warning.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:22 PM

Both sides (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) science and disregard common sense in support of their political agendas.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
Not a very fair comparison to the Galveston Hurricane. Keep in mind there was no TV, no Radio, almost no phone systems to warn people and that detection equipment like satellites, airplanes, and radar hadn't been invented yet. A perfect Cat. 5 storm blew up on them with no warning.

It’s also not fair to compare today to then because all the storms we can see because of satellites and radar that they had no idea were far out at in the Atlantic. It goes both ways.

The 30’s were far worse than anything we have seen since as far as hurricanes go
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:32 PM

Climate near as I can tell has been changing as far back as we can look with fossils
Posted By: charles

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:35 PM

Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe, not to say that there were never severe or numerous hurricanes in the past. You can take this information to the bank. I lived on an NC barrier island for 15 years and before that served in the Coast Guard on the Outer Banks for 27 years. Sea Level is getting higher, the land is moving and eroding, forests are being killed by saltwater, homes and highways are being washed away, and inlets are filling and moving. Building codes are far more strenuous than ever before, yet storms continue to destroy property. These changes have not been subtle, but the changes are accelerating dramatically. Severe storms are occurring every year now instead of once per decade as in my childhood. I will be 75 next month so I've seen a few hurricanes in NC. I expect the same conditions have been experienced along the Texas Gulf Coast.

I wish it wasn't so.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trap Setter
While I don't buy into all the climate change political motivations. The truth seems to be the climate is changing. I don't pretend to know why but I am sure the extra taxes and most regulations will have no effect. That being said the death toll from storms over 100 years ago is not a good matrix for determining strength of the storms. Now I have not researched those storms or this last one and I am just pointing out the ill advised method the OP used to argue against any climate change.

It's called weather, been happening for thousands of years.
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:39 PM

Man can not compete against mother nature. She will always win in the end. Sarge
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:40 PM

Yep...the sky is falling !!!

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:45 PM

Please read what I posted. I never said the climate is not changing. The climate has been changing since the beginning of time and as long as records have been kept.
I do not buy in to the theory that storms are more numerous or more intense because of man.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe...I wish it wasn't so.

it isn't...

"Existing records of past Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane numbers (1878 to present) in fact do show a pronounced upward trend, which is also correlated with rising SSTs (e.g., see blue curve in Fig. 4 or Vecchi and Knutson 2008). However, the density of reporting ship traffic over the Atlantic was relatively sparse during the early decades of this record, such that if storms from the modern era (post 1965) had hypothetically occurred during those earlier decades, a substantial number of storms would likely not have been directly observed by the ship-based “observing network of opportunity.” We find that, after adjusting for such an estimated number of missing storms, there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero (Figure 2)."

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:51 PM

Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe, not to say that there were never severe or numerous hurricanes in the past. You can take this information to the bank. I lived on an NC barrier island for 15 years and before that served in the Coast Guard on the Outer Banks for 27 years. Sea Level is getting higher, the land is moving and eroding, forests are being killed by saltwater, homes and highways are being washed away, and inlets are filling and moving. Building codes are far more strenuous than ever before, yet storms continue to destroy property. These changes have not been subtle, but the changes are accelerating dramatically. Severe storms are occurring every year now instead of once per decade as in my childhood. I will be 75 next month so I've seen a few hurricanes in NC. I expect the same conditions have been experienced along the Texas Gulf Coast.

I wish it wasn't so.

Well I have a few years on you so I don't buy into your theory. You have just described evolution that is not caused by man.
If it is that bad in NC, why don't you move ?

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:56 PM

This is from a study done this year by the Science News:

There aren't more of the storms now than there were roughly 150 years ago, a study suggests. ... Iota's rapid intensification may be linked to global warming, but a 150-year record of Atlantic hurricanes suggests no long-term trend in storm frequency.

I am gonna go and try to kill some hogs that are causing damage to my property.

Or, maybe I should just try to hang around long enough for the climate change to get rid of them.LOL
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/08/21 11:58 PM

I wish it wasn't so.

The foolish man builds his house on sand...we have a lot of fools along the Gulf and eastern seaboard.

Joe Bastardi is a good follow on Twitter if you have it and also watch his Saturday Summary on weatherbell.com. He goes through a lot of history of storms and weather...which is why himself and the weatherbell team forecasts are more accurate then most because they actually pay attention to history and know what it means.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Hurricanes today have become more numerous and more severe...I wish it wasn't so.

it isn't...

"Existing records of past Atlantic tropical storm or hurricane numbers (1878 to present) in fact do show a pronounced upward trend, which is also correlated with rising SSTs (e.g., see blue curve in Fig. 4 or Vecchi and Knutson 2008). However, the density of reporting ship traffic over the Atlantic was relatively sparse during the early decades of this record, such that if storms from the modern era (post 1965) had hypothetically occurred during those earlier decades, a substantial number of storms would likely not have been directly observed by the ship-based “observing network of opportunity.” We find that, after adjusting for such an estimated number of missing storms, there remains just a small nominally positive upward trend in tropical storm occurrence from 1878-2006. Statistical tests indicate that this trend is not significantly distinguishable from zero (Figure 2)."

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes/

143 years worth of records vs how many thousands of years is statistically insignificant.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:13 AM

agree.

but it's twice as good as 75 years.
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

Please read what I posted. I never said the climate is not changing. The climate has been changing since the beginning of time and as long as records have been kept.
I do not buy in to the theory that storms are more numerous or more intense because of man.

I guess we are in agreement then.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
143 years worth of records vs how many thousands of years is statistically insignificant.

how is your measurement accuracy from say...2300 years ago?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:23 AM

Charlie needs to quit watchin TV. That's where all that misinformation comes from!

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
Originally Posted by warrior

how is your measurement accuracy from say...2300 years ago?

I don't have any records, lol.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:32 AM

I wish it wasn't so.

I respectfully disagree. No they aren’t more numerous today. You are taking the mainstream media propaganda hook line and sinker. Homes and roads have always been destroyed. There are just 3-10 times more now than 50 years ago

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

I wish it wasn't so.

The foolish man builds his house on sand...we have a lot of fools along the Gulf and eastern seaboard.

Joe Bastardi is a good follow on Twitter if you have it and also watch his Saturday Summary on weatherbell.com. He goes through a lot of history of storms and weather...which is why himself and the weatherbell team forecasts are more accurate then most because they actually pay attention to history and know what it means.

Sniper have you read his books? They are good
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Pawnee

I respectfully disagree. No they aren’t more numerous today. You are taking the mainstream media propaganda hook line and sinker. Homes and roads have always been destroyed. There are just 3-10 times more now than 50 years ago

And people are putting them in really dumb places. Around here, you cant build a building inside the 100 year floodplain without building the area up. In hurricane areas people are building in spots that get hit ever 10-20 years.
Posted By: charles

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:49 AM

Think maybe I was all wrong. Liberals caused the weather changes. There is no science behind it. Masks, vaccines, voter fraud, and Arabs, and Chinese, all came together in the last year and now we have low fur prices and bad storms.

Y'all knew that?

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:52 AM

what weather changes? noaa says the increase is not distinguishable from "zero"...

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:57 AM

Creepy joe and the dems say they will fix it all. All you have to do is dramatically lower your standard of living and pay a lot more in taxes. Obey, peasants.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:59 AM

Posted By: nt2

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:09 AM

Kansas was covered with about a mile deep ice sheet at one time. I guess the climate is changing!

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:15 AM

That rambling idiot is supposedly the leader of the free world. God help us.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:27 AM

If you put one person in a mile section of pasture, there is a chance they will eventually be struck by lightning.

If you put 1000 people in a mile section of pasture, what are the chances at least one will eventually be struck by lightning? I'm betting it's 1000x greater, at the very least.

Are the storms more violent and more numerous? Or is the population in their path larger and less savvy about where to live?

Mike

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
If you put one person in a mile section of pasture, there is a chance they will eventually be struck by lightning.

If you put 1000 people in a mile section of pasture, what are the chances at least one will eventually be struck by lightning? I'm betting it's 1000x greater, at the very least.

Are the storms more violent and more numerous? Or is the population in their path larger and less savvy about where to live?

Mike

Perfect. I wish for the days of logical and truth based debate. It no longer exists. Just google something that leans conservative and then do the same on Duck Duck Go my way of thinking and many of yours is under full assault
Posted By: white17

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 02:43 AM

Mike

I would disagree with you Mike even though I agree with your point that much of the damage and destruction is caused by lousy zoning and denser populations.
But in your example above I think that the probability of lightning striking a given square mile is not at all dependent on how many people are on that square mile. In other words.........lightning may strike that square mile once a year no matter how many people are on it. What IS valid is that any lightning strike may injure more people when it does strike...but the chances, odds, probability of a strike, is not a thousand times greater
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 03:57 AM

I am very grateful to have worked in the AG sector where research and science have worked diligently to improve yields and quality with the climate changes that we are experiencing. While the promotors and naysayers finger point, blame and do little but politicize nature's responses we have created genetics that deals with the hands that Mother Nature deals out. We now have corn that can ripen in areas almost 200 miles north of the main corn belt which was not the case 40 years ago. We have developed corn varieties that know how to suspend growth and don't try to pollinate during drought or stress and when the stress is relieved the plant produces a respectable yield. This also allows for corn to be grown in areas that were far to dry for corn 20 years ago. We have developed crops or genetics that can produce 25% more yield with the same or less water then 30 years ago.
We have alfalfa that has reduced lignin that allows longer durations between cuttings and still maintains high quality, saving water, fuel, time and money. We have created plants that thwart disease and insects through genetics and thus much less toxic chemicals are applied to plants and the soil, saving stress, water and resources. Who knows where these changes are headed but there are already many test plots being planted that are working to produce the next needed strains to cope with the conditions that are out there.

Bryce
Posted By: gcs

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 10:58 AM

I've lived on the south shore of Long Island for 68 years, and lived through a bunch of hurricanes, while it's true by the time they get here they usually are not cat 3's anymore, we've had some doozies!
I don't see anymore then the avg. amount per year, or any stronger than average, but.... over development exposes more infrastructure to the damage that does occur, making it look like the sky is falling.
Plus.. every weather service, weatherman, and talking head, hypes the supposed danger and tries to make every storm the storm of the century...

The biggest manmade affect of climate "change" is the municipalities, zoning, and the fools that build in historical flood areas and storm impact zones...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 11:33 AM

Real science by any legit definition flew the coup a long time ago.
We are now living in the age of Aquarius or the land of Oz or with the Simpsons depending on what Bozo you're trying to have a conversation with grin
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 11:40 AM

I wish it wasn't so.

Fortunately we don't have to depend on individual memories and perceptions to determine if hurricanes are more numerous and severe. There are actual weather records that dispel this widely held myth. The more it gets repeated by the likes of Joe Biden or John Kerry the more people tend to believe it, but repeating something over and over does not make it true.
Posted By: TC1

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 11:45 AM

X2^. Wishing things to be true to fit a narrative is all the rage ya know.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 11:54 AM

Humans are by design are meaning making machines. Global science is just one more false idol folks glob on to for life meaning.
The 21st century Western culture has become individualistic to the core, and many would argue, not in healthy ways.
Psychologists now have countless articles about the "meaninglessness" that exists in the "meaning making machinery" of the 21st century man or woman.
Big deal you say?
Well, explore what the psychologists are theorizing as far as "what they now see in 2021," and see if it's coming to a town near you.

Gender dysphoria. Am I a man? A woman?
Work ethic. Is a work ethic really necessary?
Marriage. Should a man and a woman be the definition?
Children. Do I need to be a parent or a friend to them?
Sexual orientation. Why do I care?
Perversion. That's behind closed doors and none of my business right?

Every single solitary category of post-modern America is now being questioned and pressured to be tossed and there are strong reasons for that.
We pray it wasn't so, and the sky is not falling.
Life according to our parents era is now not happening.
America charts a new course and some are standing against some very bad actors.
You can smell the weirdness all around us and the good news is...
a small group started this mess 100 years ago on the backs of Schleirmacher, and Marx,
and a small group will defeat the followers of these warped souls.
Life has meaning.
Thank God.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Posco

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 12:31 PM

Sooner or later leftist fears are going to be realized, we are irreversibly marring the planet. Look at a map of the US from two hundred years ago and then take a look at a road atlas. We're paving the place over. Fly the eastern seaboard at night. What do you see?

I'm a collectivist to the degree that my hope is we all go down together. I don't want leftists picking the winners and losers.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Posco
Sooner or later leftist fears are going to be realized, we are irreversibly marring the planet. Look at a map of the US from two hundred years ago and then take a look at a road atlas. We're paving the place over. Fly the eastern seaboard at night. What do you see?

I'm a collectivist to the degree that my hope is we all go down together. I don't want leftists picking the winners and losers.

That's the great thing about being a gloom-and-doom predictor.......if not tomorrow, or next year, or next decade, it's always coming sooner or later, so you can never be wrong.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by Posco

That's the great thing about being a gloom-and-doom predictor.......if not tomorrow, or next year, or next decade, it's always coming sooner or later, so you can never be wrong.

There aren't a lot of bison roaming the plains nowadays. I'm not a leftist, I'm just acknowledging man's plight.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:36 PM

Didn't call you a leftist, just pointing out the difficulty in reasoning with a gloom-and-doomer.

Converting most of the bison plains to corn, small grain and beef production hardly points to man's imminent plight.

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Didn't call you a leftist, just pointing out the difficulty in reasoning with a gloom-and-doomer.

Converting most of the bison plains to corn, small grain and beef production hardly points to man's imminent plight.

Man is resourceful and resilient, I'm not saying he's not. We're just going to be looking at a very different planet than the one we're accustomed to in a few short years.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by white17

Mike

I would disagree with you Mike even though I agree with your point that much of the damage and destruction is caused by lousy zoning and denser populations.
But in your example above I think that the probability of lightning striking a given square mile is not at all dependent on how many people are on that square mile. In other words.........lightning may strike that square mile once a year no matter how many people are on it. What IS valid is that any lightning strike may injure more people when it does strike...but the chances, odds, probability of a strike, is not a thousand times greater

Correct. You clarified what I meant... If you know that at least once a year lightning is going to strike SOMEWHERE within the borders of that mile section then the more people present, the greater the chance of someone being struck. As far as the chances go, I'm not a statistician. Just a probability off the top of my head.

If you live on a coast where hurricanes are common, expect to be hit by one eventually... And the longer you live there, the greater your chances. Accept it and quit blaming my internal combustion vehicles.

Mike
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Climate Change Lies - 09/09/21 06:30 PM

I bought a cabin on a river 48 years ago, and planed at the time to live there. A old fella that had the cabin next to mine asked "so you plan on living here" my reply "yep". His "when you live next to the river don't bi--h about the water." The cabin is in my sons name now. We have had some great outdoors adventures out of there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums