Home

Any Taxidermists here?

Posted By: SpellNC9

Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 01:42 AM

I'm just starting out...its always nice to have a few mentors helping you along the way....
Posted By: NJTrapper

Re: Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 01:27 PM

If you are just starting out, I would suggest joining your state Taxidermist Association. Don't worry about competing with your work at first, just go and gain knowledge. There are usually seminars you can attend, and other taxidermists to talk to. Good luck !

Re: Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 05:01 PM

Thanks NJ, yes we joined this year and went to the convention. It was a lot of fun and learned a lot.

Re: Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 05:02 PM

We us eta live in NJ too....morris county.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 05:23 PM

Go to the national convention there are many top taxidermist giving demos. I also subscribed to breakthrough magazine I learned a lot from both
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Any Taxidermists here? - 09/10/21 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJTrapper
If you are just starting out, I would suggest joining your state Taxidermist Association. Don't worry about competing with your work at first, just go and gain knowledge. There are usually seminars you can attend, and other taxidermists to talk to. Good luck !

Great advise. Also really look at the capes. Learn hair patterns and reference points. They will act like a road map to help ensure everything is in the right place. Also remember that sometimes less is more. Use every mount as practice for the next and always search for the most accurate reference you can obtain. One top of all that, charge approximately and try your best to maintain time tables and communication with the customer. Covid had screwed up the time table portion with tannery backups and some suppliers. Most customers understand due to dealing in their own line of work being delayed. Also, good finish work makes all the difference in the world. Keep it clean. If you ever get down this way, stop by. There’s always a huge assortment of critters from all over the world to check out and maybe we can’t mount one up while your here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums