Home

What states have chiggers

Posted By: charles

What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:10 AM

Wondering how far north they live. Been supporting a small colony for about two weeks.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:13 AM

I have never had a chigger bite except when I lived in FT. Benning. LLL
Posted By: Michigander

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:19 AM

I've got into a batch in West Central Illinois.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:20 AM

Be a lot easier to list the places that don’t have them.

Attached picture 207D7CA2-9430-4E69-8F69-F811356BBBF6.jpeg
Posted By: E.Shell

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:21 AM

I'm in central MD and have miserably hosted chiggers from lower Dorchester County on the eastern shore to Allegheny County to the west. Never got them in our far west county, Garrett, but almost every other one. Had 67 at one time once.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:25 AM

Yep
They be here
Plenty of them
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:27 AM

We have them but they do not like me. Ticks that’s another issue
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 12:38 AM

They certainly are here in western Wisconsin.

Moosetrot
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:08 AM

I have never lived among blackflies, but I will say that, of the biting arthropods, chiggers are my least favorite. I would rather have a dose of poison ivy.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:22 AM

I have never heard of a chigger here, but some folks swear we have them.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:23 AM

We have them here in southeast SD. If I go down in the heavier, "wild" veg near the creeklet, I usually get some but up on the lawn, usually nada. We used to get them bad down at Lewis & Clark Boy Scout Camp, west of Yankton. It seems that tree cover, tall grass, and wetter conditions seem to have them. I don't know if they ar e in north SD or ND. Maybe there is a chigger and grinner lines that overlap further north grin
Posted By: James

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:26 AM

No chiggers in Alaska.

The worst biting insect I've encountered is the tsetse fly in Africa.

Jim
Posted By: Deerhunter51

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:30 AM

Tennessee is full of them as is most army posts from what I remember. Ft Bragg NC was the worst.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:31 AM

We get them bad in the summer.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:43 AM

Plenty in N MO. They don't seem to be noticeable until the end of June.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:57 AM

I expect I have a flock or two in the nearest blackberry patch.
Posted By: K52

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 02:16 AM

We always have a bumper crop of them here. When I was a kid we would dust with sulfur to repel them when we picked blackberries.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 02:56 AM

Never heard of them here in Michigan
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 03:31 AM

Easy to keep off of you. Get some sulpher from a druggest, shake a half teaspoon down each leg, or put in your pockets. Works slick, I've never got a chigger when I do that! We have a bumper crop of them here!
Posted By: Bison88

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 03:48 AM

Plenty in SE SD!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 09:30 AM

There was a plenty of them in SE Nebraska. They especially like ankles, waist lines, and the giblets just below the waist line. ARGH The no-see-ums in Florida are just as bad only smaller.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 10:59 AM

Ive never run into rhem in upstate NY, but they're definitely in NJ
Posted By: EdP

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 11:41 AM

For reasons I can't explain we do not seem to have chiggers here in southwest Va. Please don't bring us any.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 11:43 AM

Kansas!
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:00 PM

You can find them throughout the world, but they are most common in the south, southeast, and midwest in the US. Chiggers are particularly active between early spring and early autumn. They become less active after the season’s first frost. Their preferred temperature range is from 77 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit, and they die when temperatures fall below 42 degrees.

Permethrin treat your pants
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:05 PM

PA has them. Worse infestation I ever had came from groundhog hunting when I was a kid of twelve or thirteen years old. I fell asleep behind a hay bale while watching for woodchucks to show themselves.

The next day and for a week after I suffered as dozens of them fed off me.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Easy to keep off of you. Get some sulpher from a druggest, shake a half teaspoon down each leg, or put in your pockets. Works slick, I've never got a chigger when I do that! We have a bumper crop of them here!

There must be side effects if it's sold through a druggist???
Posted By: Owen156

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 02:40 PM

Chigger's are the state bird in Virginia. I am eat up with them right now, 3 weeks of torture. Those worthless bloodsuckers are like politicians, serve no purpose other than to bleed you dry.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 02:44 PM

Ks got a plenty but the one time I went to Louisiana I experienced chiggers in the south an o my that was miserable.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 03:15 PM

Never heard of one here in Western NY
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 03:36 PM

Fortunately they don't seem to care for me. Dad would get them a lot, but I've never had them. I've lived in places where they are prevalent, such as Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina.
Posted By: K52

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Used to just be on a shelf in the drug store, didn’t need a prescription or anything like that.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 05:00 PM

They leave me alone. I know some people that just the act of going outside attracts chiggers to them.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 05:21 PM

never heard of anyone ever having encountered them around here.
Posted By: Marty

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 05:37 PM

my calves and ankles/feet are in a state of chiggers
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Not many places to get sulpher anymore, but no it is not a drug and no perscription required. And no side effects that I have ever heard!
Posted By: SwiftKIll

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 05:43 PM

Northern Missouri sure does have them and they like me. I hate the little sucks. I'm a Chigger magnet. Turkey Time where are you located?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 06:00 PM

People talk about them here but I don't think I have had them. Certainly nothing that lasted days.
Posted By: larrywaugh

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 06:11 PM

Trillions of them here and they love me. My dad and I spent a day cutting weeds in a bean field one day before we left my mom said we should spray down for chiggers. My dad told her he had never got a chigger from a benfield. The next day he was right he had zero while mom counted over 4 hundred on me. Needless to say my dad got in trouble for that.
Posted By: Dstone1992

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 06:21 PM

We definitely have them where I'm at in MO. I try to stay out of the weeds this time of year and stick to the more open timber. I can usually keep them off of me now my boy on the other hand has them on him all the time! He also has been stung by wasps about 6 times in the past 2 months where it is rare if I get stung once a year.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 07:23 PM

Never encountered one on the west coast; California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia and Alaska. And I've lived in all the States and Provinces listed.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/12/21 08:16 PM

Yes. They are bad but the turkey mites we have will drive you completely insane.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/13/21 06:03 PM

Be careful what you say, They're not Chiggers, they're Chigroes!
Posted By: run

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/13/21 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Owen156
Chigger's are the state bird in Virginia. I am eat up with them right now, 3 weeks of torture. Those worthless bloodsuckers are like politicians, serve no purpose other than to bleed you dry.

Well said.
Posted By: LDW

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/13/21 08:49 PM

My dad had a harvest crew for years. Almost as soon as he stepped into the wheat stubble in Oklahoma, he had them. In all the years, I cannot think of 1 of the employees that ever got them. Dad had them every year from May to September.
Posted By: charles

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/13/21 10:16 PM

I may be related to your dad. I am ground zero for chiggers. Thinking of ordering some sulfer, but surely there is something better, like Permetherin. Might do both.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: What states have chiggers - 09/13/21 11:13 PM

I have played on the same piece of ground for almost 60 years, never had chiggers till two years ago, had to get a prescription cream from the Dr. to get any relief. Now I have permethrin impregnated socks and a long sleeve T shirt to wear when I am on the low ground, didn't use the shirt one day and had the buggers chewing me in the waist band again.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums