Home

Diet

Posted By: Flicker Shad

Diet - 09/12/21 11:05 AM

I'd assume the majority of the people on this site are over 35 years of age. Is your diet something you try to pay attention to? Do you just eat what you want? I'm going to start keto. I need to lay off sugars and carbs.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 11:19 AM

I'm 54 and pretty much eat what I want. I should probably back off the sugar a little, but I'm not overweight and the doc hasn't been concerned with my diet. Yet.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker Shad
I'd assume the majority of the people on this site are over 35 years of age. Is your diet something you try to pay attention to? Do you just eat what you want? I'm going to start keto. I need to lay off sugars and carbs.

I'm a naturally slim person and would eat whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted. Just a few years ago (I'm 39) I didnt recognize the slightly chubby guy with his arm around my mom.... Until I realized it was me. Took me about 6 month to lose 20ish lbs. Now I cycle my diet. January - Aug I do keto, Starting in September I still avoid refined/simple carbs unless Im at camp.

Every male on my dad's side were pencil thin until their 30s.And each were very plump by the time they retired. I don't want that outcome.
Posted By: charles

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:21 PM

Been overweight most of my life and fought a loosing battle. Recently had gastric sleeve surgery and lost 50 lbs. would like to drop another 50.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:24 PM

The more i read about food the more im convinced diet is the #1 factor in a person’s health. That said, i eat like crap way too often. I have a buddy who is a pretty big guy who is into powerlifting who has read a lot about what he puts in his body and hes convinced the government is trying to lower the testosterone of Americans with the huge amount of soy found in our diets. I also think big pharma pays MD’s to push drugs over lifestyle/diet changes.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DWC
The more i read about food the more im convinced diet is the #1 factor in a person’s health. That said, i eat like crap way too often. I have a buddy who is a pretty big guy who is into powerlifting who has read a lot about what he puts in his body and hes convinced the government is trying to lower the testosterone of Americans with the huge amount of soy found in our diets. I also think big pharma pays MD’s to push drugs over lifestyle/diet changes.

Check out the documentary Forks Over Knives on YouTube
Posted By: cotton

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:34 PM

needing to lose 40 more here
dropped 10 pounds and then my back blowed up so not moving enuff to burn off what i eat.
diet is easy if food tastes good spit out
Posted By: Flicker Shad

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:40 PM

Eggs over avocado for breakfast today.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:44 PM

I cut weight every year before hunting and trapping seasons. By the time they roll around I can stand to lose 10-15. I'm 47, 6' and will weigh 190 by 10/15. I historically have done Keto, but I am going to try fasting starting tomorrow.

As for nutrition, I haven't had a soda in 10 years, quit drinking booze completely almost 2 years ago and rarely eat fast food.

I still eat like a dog that got into the trash on occasion.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:44 PM

I'm on a seefood diet. I see food I eat it. Lol
But I don't drink soda or beer, and prepackaged food and fast-food are a no-no also.
I gain weight in the spring and summer, and loss it all in the fall and winter.
I average just over 400 miles walking during trapping season. It does a body good.
I'm the only thin one in my family. I'm59
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 12:47 PM

I've been low-carb for years and am healthier because of it. I rarely eat bread or any products containing flour, same for sugar. I have a very simple diet of non-processed foods. I rarely drink anything other than water and coffee.

I started low-carb to to lose some weight, lost between twenty-five and thirty pounds about five years ago and now maintain that.

I stay low-carb because I just feel better. Occasionally I'll go nuts and load up on carbs for a meal or even a day. I don't like the inevitable bloated, lethargic feeling that follows.

I'm 63 and very active. At work I still do roofing, framing, climb scaffolding and just generally keep up with the young guys.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've been low-carb for years and am healthier because of it. I rarely eat bread or any products containing flour, same for sugar. I have a very simple diet of non-processed foods. I rarely drink anything other than water and coffee.

I started low-carb to to lose some weight, lost between twenty-five and thirty pounds about five years ago and now maintain that.

I stay low-carb because I just feel better. Occasionally I'll go nuts and load up on carbs for a meal or even a day. I don't like the inevitable bloated, lethargic feeling that follows.

I'm 63 and very active. At work I still do roofing, framing, climb scaffolding and just generally keep up with the young guys.

Nice. I need to cut the sugar and carbs. I agree I do 100% feel better when you eat clean. Lots of fruits and veggies.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 01:04 PM

I am 59 and way to heavy. I am a stress eater (sweets are my vice) and I have had a lot of stress in my life. I made the decision of life over money. I dropped one of my 3 jobs and it is the most stressful job I let go of. I have tried low carb in the past but fell of and gained the weight back, my wife and I have made a lifestyle change. I have lost 28 pounds and am working around the house, yard, wood pile, walking instead of UTV, I have time to focus on myself but also my relationship with my wife. My wife has a thyroid issue and is at her lowest weight in 10 years. We are committing to eliminating, refined flour and sugars.

Would really appreciate staying in touch with others doing Keto, Low Carb, etc. If you search Patrice has had Great menu posts in the past on low carb.

Edit: I also forgot, My wife is retiring February 5th and I will be retired June 4th. Time to think about and focus on us instead of everyone else.
Posted By: K52

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 01:48 PM

This last March I drug a sled with about a 60 lb beaver across a worked up muddy field about 200 yards. When I got to the truck I thought I was going to have a heart attack,I was breathing so hard. I knew something had to change. I was at my daughter’s house about a week later and weighed and I was 224. I had never weighed that much in my life, I decided then and there to change my diet. I cut out all sweets and most carbs and tried to not eat for at least 14 hours from the time I ate supper which I try to be done eating by 6 pm. I don’t really pay attention to calories and I do try and drink a lot of water and maybe a glass of unsweetened ice tea with meals. I weighed 181 this morning and it hasn’t been hard to do. I’m 5’10 and want to get to 170,I will be 69 in 12 days and I feel 20 years younger.
My left knee was really hurting and my leg was swelling, lost the weight and that went away. I think a lot of people that get knee surgery could avoid it by simply losing some weight. I read that for every pound you lose it takes 14 psi off your knees!
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 05:47 PM

I always watch the sugar and salt intake
Posted By: jtg

Re: Diet - 09/12/21 06:17 PM

Gracie diet- https://www.amazon.com/Gracie-Diet-Revised-Rorion/dp/0975941100
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Diet - 09/13/21 02:31 AM

Keto for me before hunting but man I miss the potato chips
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Diet - 09/13/21 08:08 AM

I just recently cut/ quit sugar and carbs as much as I can. I am thin 185 6'2" but eat too much sugar in form of cake and chocolate and carbs ,bread, crackers potatoes and alot of rice. I was feeling like a slug and becoming insulin resistant so decided to try keto for awhile. I already feel better and still eat pretty good.

The food pyramid we all learned about in school is flawed, and was influenced by farmers. a better diet is more protein and very little carbs are needed and if too many carbs are eaten like processed grains, your body will quit producing insulin this insulin resistant and diabetes's, high blood pressure, joint pain ,headaches and heart problems fatty liver (big belly) are all traced back to high carb /sugar diet.

This guy explains things pretty well and alot of success stories in the comment section from those that follow his plan. it can be reversed with good diet.

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Diet - 09/13/21 09:26 AM

I was up to 277 , I'm down to 245 , I talked with doctor and she said there were two diet , out right now , one was the fasting diet I try it but could not go 24 hours with out eating , so after a month , I try the 8-16 diet you only eat for 8 hour's a day , 8 hour's from the first thing you eat till the last thing you eat , and 16 hour's of nothing , it's pretty easy , I skip breakfast and have a early lunch ,and don't eat anything after 6 pm

Re: Diet - 09/13/21 11:23 AM

GDCCowboy try the new vegie chips, Ill look fort he brand I found but incredible taste, texture, etc. Work great with slasa and or Queso as well for dipping and keep carbs down. I have lost 30 lbs. as of this morning.
Posted By: RV6

Re: Diet - 09/13/21 12:48 PM

Keto/Fasting changed my life to the tune of 80lbs. I highly suggest getting the strips you pee on to know when you're in ketosis. It really shines a light on what works for you and what doesn't. We're all slightly different in how much sugar our body keeps in the "gas tank" that needs to be burnt off before your body switches to burning fat...you cant do both and sugar always gets used first. I'll also add that when i can either process firewood or lift weights 3 times a week its conatant ketosis and I feel like an animal. Im 38. Gave up beer, but drink whiskey. I eat mostly meats, salads, and eggs.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Diet - 09/15/21 12:13 PM

Most Dr's on the know are aware now that the food pyramid for anyone's best health is upside down.

Should be approximately 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs.

Fat does NOT trigger and insulin response. Protein only a mild insulin response. Carbs, a big insulin response. Over decades a diet high in carbs in many cases will cause people to become insulin resistant (IR) and diabetic.

Alcohol on a regular basis is even worse.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Diet - 09/15/21 12:58 PM

eat only proteins for breakfast and cut out all breads. No sodas and fast foods. Dont feel guilty if you cheat while on vacation or a trip.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Diet - 09/16/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
GDCCowboy try the new vegie chips, Ill look fort he brand I found but incredible taste, texture, etc. Work great with slasa and or Queso as well for dipping and keep carbs down. I have lost 30 lbs. as of this morning.

Any luck finding the brand BT?
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Diet - 09/16/21 06:32 PM

Had this talk with the doc yesterday. I’m starting to have blood pressure issues and he advised a diet free of processed foods. Basically, he said if you can catch it, pick it or shoot it your good to go. We will see
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Diet - 09/16/21 09:38 PM

Keep your diet the opposite of your bank account…you want to burn more than your taking in. Keto works, but that Keto flu is rough. Your body DOES NEED carbs to function properly, but not excessive carbs. I lacked the energy and strength I once had after being in Ketosis for a month. If serious quick weight loss is your goal, then Keto diet is for you. I was dropping a half a pound a day. If just losing weight and maintaining your strength and endurance plus losing weight is for you, then burn more than you take in. I’ve cut out a lot of carbs, but keeping your carbs less than 40 a day was just too much for me trying to maintain my runs and workouts.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 12:27 AM

I was at my Doc in the spring for a complete blood work up. Since I am over 60 now my insurance pays 100% every year. He walked in and asked "What Changed ? " Seems my blood sugar is high. My A 1 C is just a few tenths form me being considered a diabetic. I was always weighing about 250 to 256 # for the last 35 years. I drank a lot of mountain dew every day for years. I quit cold turkey that day. I lost 25 lbs in a couple months. Went back to the Dr expecting a good report but my A 1 C still went up 1 tenth. So I cut out almost all the potatoes, chips, almost all the bread and pasta, sweet rolls, ice cream and started to try to walk about 5 to 6 miles a week. I was down to 224 when I came back from elk hunting. Put a little back on. I weighed 225 my senior year in HS. Hope I am doing some good, sure is a lot better on my bad knee carrying less weight around.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 01:41 AM

I try to stop eating anything by 8pm and avoid having very much sugar at all like one pop in the middle of the day sometimes and if there was desert with dinner eat it in the morning.

275 doesn't sound like a light weight but I have been as high as 321 and didn't like it. lots of acid re-flux

my no sugar in the evening makes sure to be done eating a couple hours before bed has me off the Prilosec and tums

as a result I am very slowly loosing weight.

I even try and have all beer drunk by 8pm and that is not normally more than 2

my coffee is with just milk

best to try and not drink your sugar because you can take in so much sugar so easily

I would be interested to hear more about others A1C I had blood taken yesterday I have an appointment next week my wife looked at the numbers last night when we got an email the results were in the chart app , she said your A1C is high.

I had more pop than I should have the last few weekends but milk,water and a very high in vegetable diet during the week.

I have been eating some bread.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 01:50 AM

I just consume non processed foods for the large part of my food....high protein and high fat with some carbs (definitely over 25 grams a day) around 2500-3000 calories a day. 65 yoa, 6' and 190-195#, a size medium pant fits just right...

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 02:05 AM

Sorry, I have been swamped with school, and cutting firewood, penning up steers for butcher, and bow hunting starts Saturday. On top of that I was at the doctor today being tested for Covid, would be second round if positive know more tomorrow.

Chips: I love these: Get these at our local grocer, "Eat Smart Snacks - Veggie Crisps", with seas salt. 0 sugars, little high in salt, but I need slat to stay hydrated.
Going pretty hard low carb and working, sick today slowed me down but also cutting out 1 meal a day.
Since August first I have lost 31# that include 6 days in Ontario bear hunting.

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 02:09 AM

Made a Peanut butter - Chocolate smoothie the other night. Ended up more of a large parfay but only 4 net carbs total. First sweet type food in 6 weeks. It was really good.
Used Extra heavy whipping cream 1 cup, splenda (which we will be going to stevia), 3 tbl spoons cocoa, 5 ice cubes, and water. Salt to taste I did not use any.
Posted By: Dewey NY

Re: Diet - 09/17/21 02:23 AM

The key is to find a diet that you can maintain for the long haul. Nothing crazy. Portion control and generally eating healthier foods. Watch your caloric intake. Don't take in more calories than you burn off. Exercise is important. You don't have to spend 2 hours a day in the gym. 35 to 40 minutes for 4 days a week of resistance training. Yoga is also good for you.. Mix in some cardio. Set reasonable goals. Start slow but don't stop. As we age these things become more important. Doing tell me you don't have time, make time for you.. Yea it takes a little effort and commitment. You're worth it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums