Posted By: GFW - GROENEWOLD

MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 02:26 PM

Market Talk with Guy Groenewold

https://fb.watch/7_-RIAwUBM/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTwwIjjg7jJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://youtu.be/Au_fHENhoDM
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:21 PM

I was there, good presentation by Guy, very smart and social man. I really like the idea of the wild fur forever idea that they r working on. I’ve been saying for years this is the angle we need to take about getting our message across about furs, trapping, and conservation. Capitalize on the current times where locally harvested, natural, and green is the popular thing right now! We have to try to educate those against us and explain the hypocrisy in many of their statements. I also believe to get other groups to see things from our perspective and support fur and what we do, we as trappers need to work on our image. I love trapping and our way of life and it kills me when I see comments online or hear people say things like “kill them all” or “smoke a pack a day” What a terrible image that gives us to an outsider, I hate being lumped in with trashy ppl like that and it makes it harder for us to defend our sport. Whenever I am asked to defend our sport I like to point out success stories, like the Wisconsin Bobcat. Trappers working with the DNR (submitting skulls and reproductive organs for testing and research) the bobcat is now found in every county of the state! I also like to tell outsiders that u can’t look at the life of that one particular animal, u have to see the big picture. It’s us trappers who r out there monitoring the animals no one else cares about, I want them on the landscape more than anyone else. Do u think some urban cat lady cares more about furbearers than I do? Not a chance! It’s those furbearers out there that provide me with the most rewarding hobby there is! It’s my tag and licenses money and conservation practices that allow them to be there cause no one else cares about them the way we do (or should) so if ur one of those “kill them all guys” think about it… do u really want to kill them all and not be able to trap or pass down the tradition? Put ur macho man persona aside and Be educated, be smart, and realize it’s a stupid thing to say and hurts the image of our sport.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:26 PM

You calling it a sport in your big defense of trapping is destroying my image. Of course Groeny wants you to consider trapping a sport. Only way he can get product.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
You calling it a sport in your big defense of trapping is destroying my image. Of course Groeny wants you to consider trapping a sport. Only way he can get product.

Dirt,
Dont be a Groeny hater. You can ship to him like you did to NAFA.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:37 PM

I'll be selling to groney this year.
Posted By: Boco

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:39 PM

My fur will be on the FHA March sale.
I would try groeny but he doesnt buy in Ontario.
We dont have what he wants-no coon or coyote here.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf

Dirt,

So when Groeny told LL to trap for " the love of the game", what was Groeny expecting? Is that groeny hating? Maybe to a sport trapper it is?

P.S. I think you may be confusing me with the Beav. Used to be the number 1 Groeny basher and number 1 NAFA shill. smile
Posted By: Kre

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 07:17 PM

So, give me the Cliff Notes version...

What are rat prices going to be like?
Posted By: Alex the dog

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kre

Kre - I was there and actual $ prices were not given. More general terms like "at or above last year." Rats were to be at or above. WI coyote market took a hit with Canada Goose not buying so expect lower there. White leather coon will still have value in any size.

Like or dislike Mr. Groenewold as a buyer, I appreciate him being at the convention for 2 days and getting on the demo schedule to share his insight on the fur market.

Dave

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
[quote=Dirt]You calling it a sport in your big defense of trapping is destroying my image. Of course Groeny wants you to consider trapping a sport. Only way he can get product.

Dirt,

Even you Alaskans are now "sport" trappers.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 09:01 PM

Not this one.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kre

I would bet on around $4.50 average for Wisconsin rats.
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 09:10 PM

I’ll be selling to Barnes Hide and Fur once again.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 09:35 PM

He going have more expense this year with inflation, was say in vid that prices same about, if no go up which I doubt soon, cost pass onto producer ? A buck less on coon prices ? I think rats well be same

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Alex the dog
Originally Posted by Kre

Kre - I was there and actual $ prices were not given. More general terms like "at or above last year." Rats were to be at or above. WI coyote market took a hit with Canada Goose not buying so expect lower there. White leather coon will still have value in any size.

Like or dislike Mr. Groenewold as a buyer, I appreciate him being at the convention for 2 days and getting on the demo schedule to share his insight on the fur market.

Dave

I can bet you all the money In the world that not "ONE" Wis coyote made It to Canada goose. So the Canada Goose bail out should have no effect on WI coyote prices.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/13/21 11:50 PM

A buck less on PA coon only leaves some change LOL.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 01:14 AM

Dave[/quote]

I can bet you all the money In the world that not "ONE" Wis coyote made It to Canada goose. So the Canada Goose bail out should have no effect on WI coyote prices.
[/quote]....true but the coyotes the goose bought have to go somewhere ,now they will go to the Wi buyers cheaper that will drive the prices of wi coyote down to...unfortunately $hit runs downhill
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

I’m guessing Groenwold might be the only coon buyer at FHA. As far as other species he probably buys a majority of them as well. He is set up in China like no one else. Rats because you can ship them into China would be an exception and super select type beaver, cats and coyotes probably has a few other buyers. But for most items he is about the only game in town. Even otter he’s been buying large amounts.
Posted By: LLtrapper

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:05 AM

So when Groeny told LL to trap for " the love of the game", what was Groeny expecting? Is that groeny hating? Maybe to a sport trapper it is?

P.S. I think you may be confusing me with the Beav. Used to be the number 1 Groeny basher and number 1 NAFA shill. smile[/quote]

I really do like Gary G. He is a good man. He is also a business man and I cannot hold that against him. As for trapping for sport I have never done that. If I cannot make money I will not kill anything for fun. You fuel the antis with such talk and I will have nothing to do with that. It is a commercial venture to me. I do not kill for fun. LLL
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:28 AM

Good post LL.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by LLtrapper

I really do like Gary G. He is a good man. He is also a business man and I cannot hold that against him. As for trapping for sport I have never done that. If I cannot make money I will not kill anything for fun. You fuel the antis with such talk and I will have nothing to do with that. It is a commercial venture to me. I do not kill for fun. LLL

Do you think Guy explains to his buyers that his suppliers can't supply at those prices they offer, like Ted Pappas would? We are talking business here and any reasonable businessman knows that everybody in the food chain needs to make a living. Unless.........
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 03:42 AM

[quoteDo you think Guy explains to his buyers that his suppliers can't supply at those prices they offer, like Ted Pappas would? We are talking business here and any reasonable businessman knows that everybody in the food chain needs to make a living. Unless.........][/quote]

Sooner or later doesn't it all grind to a stop.??

LLL Trapper, I don't kill for "sport", I take no real pleasure in giving a coon acute lead poisoning. Its just something that needs to be done. Other factors beside just pure profit margins are in the equation. Because I might not make a "profit" in the adventure, doesn't necessarily make it a sport. factor in. I'm no English dandy indulging in "sport"...

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
[quoteDo you think Guy explains to his buyers that his suppliers can't supply at those prices they offer, like Ted Pappas would? We are talking business here and any reasonable businessman knows that everybody in the food chain needs to make a living. Unless.........]

Sooner or later doesn't it all grind to a stop.??

No. Have you ever had a conversation with a furbuyer? Some of them don't understand the trapper has to make a living too. There is a reason.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 04:34 AM

Nailed it!
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 05:30 AM

You all need to understand that Guy is a smooth talker…he sees $$ every time he opens his mouth! That’s about as politically correct as I can put it!

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
You all need to understand that Guy is a smooth talker…he sees $$ every time he opens his mouth! That’s about as politically correct as I can put it!

I believe Paul runs a P,C. free site. Say it how it is!

He will correct me if I am wrong!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 11:58 AM

To take the time and show where that 1$ coyote travels down the supply chain......I certain thank him for that explanation.
Posted By: Fishdog One

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 01:21 PM

That 5% value coyote working its way up past 50% and still a lousy coyote was worth listening to the whole thing.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 01:36 PM

dont think grooney figures his part of the fur business as a sport dont think he will handle fur for a loss but he sure like you sport trappers
Posted By: Mac McAtee

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:02 PM

Near the end of the video did I understand correctly that they don't care if you cut the ears off coyote. That would be a lot less time assing around getting the cartilage out. One less step in spending time on the cartilage and then pinning the ear skin and worrying about if it is drying out quick enough to avoid slippage. If the head is going to go for waste anyway how careful you skin out the ears doesn't make a darn bit of difference.

If anyone does cut the ears off coyote can you describe how you do it, the technique.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:11 PM

Why worry about ear slippage at all if the head don't matter. Just leave the ears on.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by blackhammer
Originally Posted by Boco

I’m guessing Groenwold might be the only coon buyer at FHA. As far as other species he probably buys a majority of them as well. He is set up in China like no one else. Rats because you can ship them into China would be an exception and super select type beaver, cats and coyotes probably has a few other buyers. But for most items he is about the only game in town. Even otter he’s been buying large amounts.

He might buy most of the FHA coon, but not all. I'm guessing he's not real active in the auction room where the select heavy coon sell for relatively decent prices. Most of his purchases likely come well after the auction, mopping up the bargins in the PT room.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 02:58 PM

Groney knows what he's going to pay you before you even catch It. And that's a fact.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Groney knows what he's going to pay you before you even catch It. And that's a fact.

I think you are spot on.

They focus on maintaining an average price payout per species.

They are good businessmen...cant dispute that.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 04:11 PM

And on the flip side of that its hard for a guy to gear up not knowing any pricing whatsoever until the season is basically over over.
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 04:35 PM

I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “sport” in my original post, I didn’t mean it literally, I guess I should’ve said “lifestyle” but I think u gotta respect Guy for trying to shake up the fur market with Wild Fur Forever. A lot of guys worried about where to sell and knocking him for how he does business but at least he’s fighting toward keeping fur around and trying a new angle and trying to get through to different people and make fur the hip and popular thing. It doesn’t matter who u sell to when the fur market is no longer existent.

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Crortvedt05
I guess I shouldn’t have used the word “sport” in my original post, I didn’t mean it literally, I guess I should’ve said “lifestyle” but I think u gotta respect Guy for trying to shake up the fur market with Wild Fur Forever. A lot of guys worried about where to sell and knocking him for how he does business but at least he’s fighting toward keeping fur around and trying a new angle and trying to get through to different people and make fur the hip and popular thing. It doesn’t matter who u sell to when the fur market is no longer existent.

^^^yep

Re: MARKET TALK @ THE WTA CONVENTION - 09/14/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav

Then it should be pretty easy to negotiate a contract price with him before the season. Good Luck!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums