Home

Not biblical, political or COVID related...

Posted By: slydogx

Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 12:37 AM

But I did get a return call to the last beaver job I did. They tore out the dam with an excavator and it looks like there's been a half hearted attempt to rebuild it (so I'm guessing a young beaver)
Heat was not bad but mosquitoes were brutal so no pictures unless I get one tomorrow.

Discuss amongst yourselves but keep it civil LOL
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 12:40 AM

I'll pray you catch your beaver. It sounds as if it's either a lazy democrat beaver, which would go along with your young theory...stupid millennial beaver, or possibly it's just weak from recovering from the disease that shall not be mentioned. whistle
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 12:46 AM

Undocumented immigrant beaver trying to keep a low profile. Dosen't need to do much because of the hand outs.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 12:51 AM

Oh and buy a thermacell ,No more skeeter or biting flies
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
I'll pray you catch your beaver. It sounds as if it's either a lazy democrat beaver, which would go along with your young theory...stupid millennial beaver, or possibly it's just weak from recovering from the disease that shall not be mentioned. whistle

Bahahaha ^^*^
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Funny
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 02:40 AM

Prayers sent...
Posted By: rex123

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 02:56 AM

How dare you post something about trapping on a trapping forum what is the world coming to.
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 04:22 AM

Well -- I believe that I am offended by this (non-biblical, political or covid related) post --- how do i go about complaining to the site managers about this? grin

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 12:14 PM

I will be checking traps after a doctor's appointment. I am worried that I may have actual trapping pictures to post...I assume that I will be shunned by the group after that.
Posted By: run

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:11 PM

Who in their right mind talks about trapping these days?

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:29 PM

Nothing to report "phew"
No beavers and no other activity to talk about...

Should we argue about the war of 1812 or something?
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:40 PM

As a western Canadian can I comment or is that too political ?

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Oh and buy a thermacell ,No more skeeter or biting flies

those don't work up in his neck of the woods cause there is no French in the labels and those mosq's do read the instructions.

Hey that war went on for 3 years 1812-14
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:44 PM

Would be cool if some of the guys that ramble on about everything religion related would post some good trapping tips.

whistle
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:47 PM

Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 03:58 PM

So, at the risk of getting hit with the ban hammer...

I knocked in 2 footholds on rebar drowners at naturally "necked down" approaches to shore. Each one is covered by a small breasting stick topped with a dab of castor based lure. This has resulted in very good success rates for me in the past but it occurred to me that this was probably not the best approach.
The dam is a bit suspect as noted above. It looks a bit too intentional to simply be the debris organizing itself at a narrow area of ditch, but it is leaking at the bottom (Not over the top).
A smart trapper (not me :D) would have cut a breach in the dam in order to hopefully generate a repair attempt that would confirm whether beavers are actually at the location... so my tip would be to think hard about the best way to set an area that will yield definitive results when anything is in question... rookie mistake on my part and I will breach the dam tonight or tomorrow depending on work schedules.
I did see the old bank den - high and dry with no apparent activity. It was directly across the ditch from my sets so I assume any beaver inside would have come to investigate the strange castor and at least left a footprint. I suspect that there is a small/young beaver who has taken up residence farther upstream and maybe only returns to the dam as needed to repair... but that is all speculation on my part

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 04:05 PM

Maybe one of these days, we will get a nonreligious discussion going.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 04:47 PM

Is trapping a type of religion?

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 04:50 PM

Trapping and snaring are mentioned quite a few times in the Bible . I guess you could make trapping Biblical. Carry on.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Would be cool if some of the guys that ramble on about everything religion related would post some good trapping tips.

whistle

https://www.fntpost.com/Products/Mark+June/Mark+June's+Bobcat+Trapping+DVD
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 06:26 PM

Many of us do it religiously!

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2

whistle

Are you insinuating that the religious stuff is free but you must purchase the trapping tips?
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 07:13 PM

Are you insinuating that the religious stuff is free but you must purchase the trapping tips?

Precisely!!! I'm glad you caught on

If you want years of knowledge on religion, most people are willing to give it out for free. I would highly question someone who wanted to charge for it grin
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 07:13 PM

Bobby, that beaver is the devil!!! grin
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 08:37 PM

It costs 75 cents per copy to get The Watchtower printed, but they will GIVE it to you kindly if you pull hard enough when they extend an arm to hand you one.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 08:41 PM

whistle

Guy has to make a living.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 09:38 PM

whistle

When you can't discuss the destruction of the Republic because it involves that which can't be mentioned, we might as well lean on Jesus. Lord knows we'll need Him when our country falls.
Plus it's 90 plus degrees outside and trapping is about the furthest thing from my mind.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 10:12 PM

Phew...I saw Mark June chime in and I was afraid he'd sully my post with some kind of trapping related content.
Thanks Mark, for keeping this above board.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 10:47 PM

Why use rebar for drowners rather than cable? Seems like they are a pain to cart around.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

Many of us do it religiously!

Probably have just as many denominations. Target animals, conibears, footholds, water, land, fur, ADC.

The question is, who is the One True Trapper?
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/16/21 10:50 PM

whistle

I find all I need on the trapping only section...Pretty nice place, check it out.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 12:38 AM

Lets open this can of worms up;
now those traps you used ;
where were they manufactured ?

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 12:50 AM

Exactly what I was thinking, J Staton.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 12:51 AM

Precisely!!! I'm glad you caught on

If you want years of knowledge on religion, most people are willing to give it out for free. I would highly question someone who wanted to charge for it grin

LOL.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 01:31 AM

Pike River, I find I have much higher success rates in terms of dead vs live beaver waiting on me when I use rebar. I can drive to most of my locations but a 500 yard drag on a sled is not uncommon and I seem to pull it off without too much drama. If we had more rocks and sand here I would consider using feed sack weights but the muck here just washes out so you'd be dragging in a rotor or other weight anyhow.
North of 50...I use a mix of Bridger #4 DLS and Duke #4 CS so... assembled in America with foreign parts (I think?) And made fully in Korea. Both trap types have functioned flawlessly for me so far.

Now the question is, will I be able to frost scrape these beaver with nighttime lows in the 70s?

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by slydogx
Phew...I saw Mark June chime in and I was afraid he'd sully my post with some kind of trapping related content.
Thanks Mark, for keeping this above board.

No worries sydogx, I'm a coyote trapper. These threads are easy peasy compared to 100 degree summer time yote work.
I'm a rabble rouser by nature.
When I first started posting trapping did bits on TMan, I was told by the haters it was because I was trying to "sell" people.
Now I post on politics or religion and the same worn out shoes are kicking dust.
I'm like the ever ready bunny.
Try and keep up shoes. grin

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Feedinggrounds

whistle

I find all I need on the trapping only section...Pretty nice place, check it out.

Really.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 02:16 AM

Think that's the Energizer Bunny there, Mark, LOL. Eveready is a black cat.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/17/21 08:27 PM

Well, visited the site and breached the dam today. It is definitely an active beaver on site.
Being dumb (as previously mentioned) I didn't bring equipment for an additional set BUT I had a 330 laying in the truck so I rearranged things a bit. I moved a foothold to the dam break as I always worry that debris will set off or clog a conibear trap at the flowage. I set the 330 where I previously had the foothold and fenced it a bit because I enjoy scrounging around for suitable branches LOL.
I then spiced up my other set with a dab of Backbreaker instead of regular old castor lure... let's see if these Canuck beaver can tell the difference between Canadian castor and that sweet Southern castor in Paul's lure - I can tell you from anecdotal experience that (here at least) they'll run to the Backbreaker over several other lures I have tried every dang time LOL

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/18/21 01:59 PM

Well, I'm going to have to ask for help from the likes of Mr Dobbins, Swampwolf, Boco and other pro ADC guys.
When I first trapped the area, there was a large dam and I trapped a big male beaver on the first night. We then got torrential rain and no further action for 3 nights even though water was pouring over the dam.
The town then removed the dam with an excavator. Several days later, the dam has been rebuilt but I have had no sign of activities at my traps. I broke the dam yesterday and the water drew down to below the break (about a foot) and no repairs were made.
I "really" broke the dam today, but will have to pick up tomorrow if no activity. What are the chances that any remaining beaver are simply not interested in repairing the dam? Are they still there in your opinion?

I promise to smooth it over with the boss if you make a trapping related post here and don't include politics LOL

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/18/21 07:12 PM

TTT... actually could use some advice here LOL

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/18/21 07:16 PM

If you saved the males castor or oil sacs you may want to make a set employing his juice.

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/18/21 11:55 PM

J Staton, it was 100+ degrees when I pinched the male and he sat at the end of a downer for several hours. He didn't go anywhere but into the Tal grass LOL.
What I am wondering is whether young beaver would abandon a dam after rebuilding or neglect to repair if damaged. I just assumed that a beaver would not allow a dam to leak enough to draw down a foot of water without at least attempting a repair

Re: Not biblical, political or COVID related... - 09/19/21 04:50 PM

Well, I think there are no beaver there. Drew down another foot of water and only scored a small raccoon. Going to advise clients to tear out dam and be done.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums