Home

Fixing plastic gas cans.

Posted By: Law Dog

Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:06 AM

Found a pinhole in a 2 gallon plastic gas can Itv had a hole the size of a eyeglass screw the first thing I did was wash it out and let it dry overnight to avoid boom boom time. It was right next to a raised letter so it had extra material to work with the first thing I tried was a tiny screw the plan was to heat it up and screw it in then melt plastic over the screw.

Not tight enough so I tried to melt the edge of that thicker letter over the hole with a Grill lighter nope was not any better even opened the hole some more. I looked around and found a spray can nozzle that was plugged up that I just changed out heck it was even red.

At first I was looking to just melt some hot plastic into the hole and hope it was hot enough to seal the hole. I kept bubbling even after I took the flame away but no smoke I figured maybe it was burning on it’s own so I blew on it then it settled down. I plan to pressure test it in the morning.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Vinke

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:10 AM

Just was smelling gas in a can and it splashed into my eye
It hurts. Lol
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:35 AM

3M 4200 Marine adhesive

Spendy , but it works good.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:53 AM

Hospital bill's are spendy. Gas cans are cheap in comparison.

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by white dog
Hospital bill's are spendy. Gas cans are cheap in comparison.

Flushed out a dried I’m more interested to see if it works it’s a learning experience that how you figure things out, buying a new can you learn nothing. I’ll need to look inside and see if any of that cap ran into the can it took the whole cap to make that plug.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:04 AM

Great Jerry... now figure out how to fix the 75% of the plastic gas cans I've owned with leaks at the nozzle connection.

We can put a man on the moon, but....

Years ago I broke down and bought one of those fancy Husqvarna gas/bar oil cans. It has probably saved me enough in dripped gas to pay for itself.

Good luck with the pressure test.

Pete
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by swift4me
Great Jerry... now figure out how to fix the 75% of the plastic gas cans I've owned with leaks at the nozzle connection.

Years ago I broke down and bought one of those fancy Husqvarna gas/bar oil cans. It has probably saved me enough in dripped gas to pay for itself.

Pete

https://ezpourspout.com/product/replacement-spout-vent-kit/

the replacement spout , comes with a vent you drill a 1/2 inch hole and press in as well as a gasket they sell extra gaskets

they also sell a cap with gasket if you don't want a spout or only want one spout for several cans https://ezpourspout.com/product/solid-base-cap-yellow/ I run these on my fuel oil cans , I use a big funnel when I pour into the tank for max flow I can drop a 6 gallon can in under a minute with the big funnel and vent. when your putting 60 gallons in you don't want to stand there all day holding a can.

spare gaskets https://ezpourspout.com/product/spout-gasket/

I run two 2.5 gallon cans one for mix gas one for bar oil only ever put 2 gallons in either so they pour nice
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:04 AM

we had a plastic welder at work , use it to weld gas tank on snowmobile
Posted By: trapNH

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:24 AM

I had one 20 something years ago that had a hole, I roughed it up with sandpaper and used shoe goo in the hole and it is sdtill holding.
Posted By: niteprowler

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:45 AM

Im with Cragar on this.If your patch don''t work I would try an epoxee sp.? made for plastic.Some I have used have 2 parts to them.Once you mix the 2 parts together it starts to harden.If your goal is to fix it without spending any extra money at all then the way you are trying should probably work with just melted plastic I would think.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:50 AM

The screw was the answer but not the heat. Seal all glue on screw even if can is full and leaking.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 11:38 AM

Sand and fiberglass over it.

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 01:18 PM

It’s the old type of spout the simple type not the guberment style that is another reason I wanted to keep it around for chainsaw mix gas. It comes in handy when I run to town to get mix gas to add to the main can at home. I’ll do some tests today on it today and see if it holds up.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 01:41 PM

JB weld does not hold once gas hits it
Posted By: old243

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 01:53 PM

I use a soldering gun or iron, to melt the plastic , into the crack or hole. Cut a piece of plastic from an old jug or bottle. Puddle it into your weld. Just like you would if brazing. There are different types of plastic. So if one scrap piece doesn't work , try a different piece. Have repaired , different stuff using this method. old243
Posted By: hippie

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 01:54 PM

Another tool you can use to melt a hole shut in plastic is a soldering iron.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Another tool you can use to melt a hole shut in plastic is a soldering iron.

Great idea

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 02:10 PM

I ran the hydrant water pressure into it no leak I will let it sit with water in it and see if anything starts to leak but I think it’s fixed.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:44 PM

Pete

[Linked Image]

And each new model pours slower.

P.S. We can't put a man on the moon anymore either. frown
Posted By: danvee

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:47 PM

neoprene washer screw is what I have used.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Pete

[Linked Image]

The memes about "Engineers" come to mind

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 04:07 PM

Hi, I'm from the government and here to help.

How the government wrecked the gas can

"It took one quick search. The whole trend began in (wait for it) California. Regulations began in 2000, with the idea of preventing spillage. The notion spread and was picked up by the EPA, which is always looking for new and innovative ways to spread as much human misery as possible.

An ominous regulatory announcement from the EPA came in 2007: “Starting with containers manufactured in 2009… it is expected that the new cans will be built with a simple and inexpensive permeation barrier and new spouts that close automatically.”"

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:46 PM

The newer one spill way more then the older one ever did just trying to get them to pour the first drops out.
LOL
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
[quote=swift4me]Great Jerry... now figure out how to fix the 75% of the plastic gas cans I've owned with leaks at the nozzle connection.

[Linked Image]

Dirt I am amazed that some bears have not snacked on some of those cans.

Well Jerry now you know where the full line is on those cans.
Remember that in the heat the gas expands and the pressure could Moby Dick that hole.

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:52 PM

I will need it for the 1 gallon mix can it sat all morning full of water and no leaks I pumped the hydrant into it before that for a pressure test and it checked out good. I looked inside to make sure the hot plastic did not drip a string of plastic into the can and found nothing past the original hole.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:55 PM

Y'all need to invest in metal cans!! We don't own a plastic can. I have one of these that dad ran over with the Harlow forklift and we still use it with no issues. The plastic ones just tick you off!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/eagle-type-i-safety-can-5-gal-carb-compliant
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 05:59 PM

One thing I found when getting Premium gas is always pump 1/2 gallon into the car then into the tank, I don't trust the hose to inside pump to be free of ethanol gasoline when getting fuel to be mixed.

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 06:12 PM

I have a swipe card for the local oil company they have designated pumps for the no ethanol gas pumps.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 07:08 PM

I have a couple of these. The price has gone way up since I bought mine. They were $60 back then. However, these cans are great and pretty much pour like the old cans. Buy once, cry once.

https://www.zoro.com/justrite-5-gal-red-steel-type-ii-safety-can-for-flammables-7250120/i/G2521294/

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 07:17 PM

Why do you have ethanol in your gas?

Hi, I'm from the government and here to help.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 07:28 PM

Last night I watched some one on Life below zero patch a 5 gallon plastic bucket by heating a rod till It was red hot then melting the plastic around the split then smearing It around till the split was sealed.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
One thing I found when getting Premium gas is always pump 1/2 gallon into the car then into the tank, I don't trust the hose to inside pump to be free of ethanol gasoline when getting fuel to be mixed.

most of the places here have a separate hose now for 91 no E gas

before they had a separate hose I would go 3 gallons in the truck first to purge the lines then put it in the can

the valves in most pumps are down at the bottom of the unit and that hose is 10-12 feet long with about 8 feet of pipe down below

figure one inch internal diameter for close to 20 feet 754 cubic inches = 3.26 gallons , it may be closer to 3/4 internal diameter but still darn close to 3 gallons that the hose and pipe will hold
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 08:25 PM

For those that don't want to spend $60-80 for a metal can or even $25 for a red gas can that doesn't pour, go to the camping section in Walmart and buy the blue plastic water can for $10. Just put gas in it instead of water. None of the new improved valves and what-not that don't pour gas.
I also keep my eyes on the ditches for gas cans that have blown out of the back of pickups. And NAPA generally has common sense output replacement kits for the new-fangled ones.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:24 PM

Forget the new red gas cans with spouts that make you say bad words... get the blue or yellow kerosene cans, plain screw on cap and no nonsense, I get the big funnel and pour away.

The red cans crack long before they get a pinhole leak I've found, The quality of the cans has gone down hill considerably....
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/16/21 09:44 PM

And I bet the DEF jugs would work for gas as well.

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/17/21 12:42 AM

I looked around and found a 2 gallon one with the newer spot it had a little gas in it I tried to put that little bit in my 4 wheeler spilled more then I saved now I remember why it was so dusty and the old one with a hole was better. LOL
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/17/21 12:54 AM

Dirt, this style of jug works really good. Technically they aren't gas cans.

Open the breather and woosh.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fixing plastic gas cans. - 09/17/21 01:19 AM

Lots of people moving to those racing jugs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums