Home

Buckskin pants - first try on

Posted By: k snow

Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 01:05 AM

Well, tonight was the night. The first real try on, without having to hold all the flaps in place.
The legs are still only sewn to the knees, I wanted to make sure I got the length correct. Also, the massive side flaps will be cut into fine fringe. All said, I am very happy with how they came out.

The "roomy posterior" is to allow for movement without the legs riding up. This was the common cut of men's breeches and pants during that time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 01:10 AM

They look great,nice Job!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 02:15 AM

Very nice !
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 03:13 AM

My son has collected about fifteen tanned buck skins. For leggings. We are interested in your progress
Posted By: nate

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 03:39 AM

Great work,good goin!
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 09:48 AM

Look great
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 10:08 AM

They look fantastic ksnow
Assuming that they stay dry with wear
are they known to shrink, stretch, or stay about the same with time?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 10:10 AM

Nice

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 11:04 AM

Thanks guys. They are definitely a big project, but the end result is coming together very well.

PAlltheway, leggings are great projects. I've made a fair number of pairs of them, both in buckskin and wool, Eastern and Western styles. Easy to make and easy to wear. If you need any help/ideas, feel free to ask.

Turtledale, I prestretched the hides before I started working them by wetting and blocking them. Getting them wet isn't a huge concern for me, I've had plenty of clothing pieces made from commercial buckskin and they are fairly stable when wetting and drying. A lot of guys complain about the knees stretching in buckskin pants, but that is mostly due to pattern design. Modern pants have to allow the leg to slide up when you bend over. If it doesn't (and leather often won't) the knees will stretch out. By using a pattern with a roomy backside, this allows for flexibility without the legs riding up. This should negate the knees stretching out.
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 12:36 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: Savell

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 05:11 PM

Your butt looks great in those !

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
Your butt looks great in those !

I'm not sure how I feel about you saying that. But, my wife agrees.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 07:17 PM

Obviously Savell's wife has logged on and is using his account. Either that or he's morning drinking again.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Buckskin pants - first try on - 09/17/21 09:40 PM

Never thought I'd say this about a man wearing leather britches.... Put you look better than that Canuck, Jurassic.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums