Home

On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be?

Posted By: coondagger2

On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:30 PM

Hunting drama, my favorite.

Got permission on a goose field last year and we had a great hunt out of it. Contacted the farmer again this year and he said it would be no problem if we kept hunting but another guy had asked to hunt also. He explained that guy hunted alone and only had a couple decoys. I told him it was no problem at all, we would communicate with the other guy and invite him out whenever we planned to hunt as we would do better hunting together than competing.

We hunted the field last Friday and had a great hunt, killed 27. I notified the other guy on Wednesday morning that we planned to hunt Friday evening and he said he had prior plans but to go ahead without him. Fast forward to this week. We planned to hunt it again Saturday morning (tomorrow). I told him on Tuesday and he said he would let me know. Haven't heard anything since. This morning when I ride by the field on the way to work what do I see? Him hunting the field, sticking out like a sore thumb, sitting in the middle of his decoys. He knew we planned to hunt tomorrow morning and he still went this morning without saying a word to anybody.

Now this obviously rubbed me the wrong way. All he had to do was call and say he was hunting this morning and we would have been fine. I've been very cordial and communicated well with him, but he didn't even come close to returning the favor. In my opinion, this breaks the simple agreement the farmer had with us, and it should be the end of his hunting privilege's. What do you all think?
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:37 PM

Just deal with it. The absolute last thing the farmer wants is drama. Permission = privilage, treat it like one.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:38 PM

Kind of a crappy deal, for sure. You can tell the farmer, but I'm sure he has bigger things to worry about and probably doesn't want to be bothered about it. I'd work it out with the other guy and not involve the landowner.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:41 PM

If you complain, or involve the farmer, you are the one likely to lose permission.

Keith
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:43 PM

If you both have permission then I would hunt when I wanted and if other guy shows up invite him to hunt with you

If I was landowner and drama started, both of you would be gone

Another option is to approach landowner about leasing/paying for exclusive hunting rights

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BTLowry
If you both have permission then I would hunt when I wanted and if other guy shows up invite him to hunt with you

Another option is to approach landowner about leasing/paying for exclusive hunting rights

I know money talks, but leasing it out from under a guy is a pretty douche bag move too.

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:50 PM

Sorry guys I should have mentioned, I have NOT contacted the landowner and don’t plan to. Like you all say that will create more issues than it’s worth.

Farmer did not go for a lease, asked last year.

Bowhunter, him not being able to get in touch with me is a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) poor excuse. He has my phone number, he made no effort. I texted him and asked if that was him hunting and his response was “Yeah man that’s me, sorry I should have let you know, my bad.” Instantly guilty

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:53 PM

Sounds like maybe he knew he did wrong and hopefully won't do it again. With any luck your text may have solved your problem!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 12:55 PM

when i was in kindergarten we had a kid that thought he could get on a swing at recess just cause nobody else was on it when he got there

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
when i was in kindergarten we had a kid that thought he could get on a swing at recess just cause nobody else was on it when he got there

grin grin
Posted By: waggler

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:01 PM

If you weren't planning to hunt it the day he was out there I don't see a problem. If it's true, as you say, that he was sitting out there like a sore thumb, maybe he won't be very successful and he will learn somethingfrom his lack of experience. Sometimes the best way to learn things is to do it on your own. He will then be able to compare the lack of success when he hunts by himself to when he hunts with you.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:12 PM

He wants to hunt alone, leave him be and just hunt on your own. Simple its not a big thing to me !
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:13 PM

not much point in getting mad , it's like you drinking poison and wondering why he doesn't get sick

he will grow tired of getting next to nothing and hang it up or

he may eventually come see how you do it

keep communicating to him

he may just be ignorant , Ignorant can be educated , as opposed to stupid which you just can't fix

any way the land owner wants to hear from you 2 times year , when you ask and when you thank him by dropping off a case or bottle of what ever he drinks
Posted By: rex123

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:14 PM

I don't see the problem. You don't own neither does he . Farmer gave you both permission but didn't say you had to hunt together. It would be nice but it is what it is. Sounds like you want it by your rules. I don't see where anyone is wrong. I give it a 1 or 2.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:18 PM

You could have removed his valve stems. Seriously not everyone shares your exact same ethics or background there fore see behavior as ok that you may not. Maybe he prefers to hunt alone vs people he dose not know. What of your group has poor gun handling individuals how would he know? for an example

I would keep it in mind be friendly but not go out of my way anymore. Unless something serious happens I would let it go. And I don't see anything I would consider serious happening. Even if something serious happened your only result will likely be loss of permission.

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rex123
Sounds like you want it by your rules. I don't see where anyone is wrong. I give it a 1 or 2.

No sir, the farmer is the one who asked that we communicate before hunting. That was his one rule. I did not make that rule
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:21 PM

Could of been a spur of the moment thing. Unless it ruins your weekend hunt, this rates about a 1
Posted By: hippie

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:27 PM

Wouldn't bother me, you got permission and he got permission.
Maybe he hunts to get away from people a d just wants to hunt alone, successful or not. I know ill hunt less productive places just to get away from people.

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Could of been a spur of the moment thing. Unless it ruins your weekend hunt, this rates about a 1

To be determined if it ruins the hunt, but it probably will. He shot at 3 different groups of birds this morning, killed 1. If the hunt is ruined I’m giving it a 5, if not I’m still at a 2 laugh
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:29 PM

He's probably like me. Zero desire to hunt with other people. Figures if he called you, you might want to go too, thereby ruining his hunt. My opinion probably isn't what you want to hear but... you both have permission there. You do your thing and let him do his. It sounds like he doesn't want to hunt with y'all.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:33 PM

The guy has permission, if he his hunting ethically and within the law... get there earlier next time or move on.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:38 PM

The last thing a landowner wants to deal with is unneeded drama so pick your fights wisely or nobody will be hunting in the future maybe to solve the problems.

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
He's probably like me. Zero desire to hunt with other people. Figures if he called you, you might want to go too, thereby ruining his hunt. My opinion probably isn't what you want to hear but... you both have permission there. You do your thing and let him do his. It sounds like he doesn't want to hunt with y'all.

I have no problem with that. But how would you feel if you were the landowner and allowed hunting under one condition, and then that condition was ignored?

Like I said before, landowner has not been notified
Posted By: rex123

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:50 PM

I can't find anywhere in your post where you said the farmer asked you to talk to each other. You said the farmer said the other guy liked to hunt alone. Did I miss it?
Posted By: charles

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:52 PM

Next year consider leasing.
Posted By: GRP

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:57 PM

Don't call the farmer. Right now, he has enough worries. If it were my farm, and it turned into a headache, my 2 solutions would be: 1-No one hunts it. 2-Highest bidder gets hunting rights next year. Be prepared for one of those outcomes if you make a fuss.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
The last thing a landowner want to deal with is unneeded drama so pick you fights wisely or nobody will be hunting in the future maybe to solve the problems.

Then we will have another thread complaining about land owners using depredation tag when they won't let people hunt. I always love those threads a lot of guys in them seem like they think they should have a say about what happens on someone else's property. Funny they never seem to own any themselves.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Kind of a crappy deal, for sure. You can tell the farmer, but I'm sure he has bigger things to worry about and probably doesn't want to be bothered about it. I'd work it out with the other guy and not involve the landowner.

I agree. If you bother the farmer, he might throw both of you out. Work it out with the other guy cordially as though it was a misunderstanding.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:09 PM

they guy got permission to hunt it alone before he met you. and now he's hunting it alone. I don't see the drama? if I wanted to hunt by myself and I had permission to do so I wouldn't feel like I'm stepping on anyone's toes.
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:12 PM

I'm not real sure what the big deal is....you had to work, and apparently he didn't, so he decided to go on a hunt....? Are you worried that him being there this morning will screw up your evening hunt? If that's the case, then yeah, a heads-up from him would have been nice.
Posted By: Boco

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:26 PM

The farmer told you the other guy hunts alone.
You were to call him to find out when he is hunting so he can hunt alone.
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:46 PM

Maybe the guy doesn't like to be the odd man out during your group hunts, so he is enjoying the morning by himself.

Maybe just getting a shot or two is all he is after, a more relaxed hunt.

Maybe he doesn't quite grasp the sharing of hunting plans like you do.

Maybe be he is just a ding bat.

Maybe he thinks your a ding bat.

Who knows.

Maybe just talk to the guy ( no texting) and try to get everyone on the same page.

Also He didn't Ruin your hunt.

Just my thoughts
Posted By: btomlin

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 02:46 PM

If someone had permission for the year before I did, then I would be calling that person to let them know when I was wanting to hunt to see if they were going to be in there. I would not expect for it to be reciprocated. This is a 0
Posted By: EdP

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 03:06 PM

I don't see why it is a thing at all, but I'm not a waterfowl hunter so maybe I don't understand. I think it was generous of you to offer to call and invite him, but unrealistic to expect him to do the same because it may not be what he really wants. You are the one who made the commitment to call him. He made no such commitment. Leave it alone and go about your business, let him do the same.

I don't like the idea of trying to lease to exclude someone else from a property the farmer is willing to share. There is too much land being leased already.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 03:48 PM

Bet you're glad you started this post now you big bully. laugh
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:05 PM

Kind of like the trapper that gets all the permissions and never sets a trap. I always get "so and so is trapping here".....I know so and so and he aint doing chit.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by btomlin
If someone had permission for the year before I did, then I would be calling that person to let them know when I was wanting to hunt to see if they were going to be in there. I would not expect for it to be reciprocated. This is a 0

X2
Posted By: DWC

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:11 PM

Ive more than once been told no from a landowner because theyve had issues like this in the past and they dont wanna deal with it. Dont be that guy
Posted By: Kre

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:26 PM

I would be mad too, but you should expect this sort of thing when you "share" access.

I've heard stories like this a thousand times.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:43 PM

I really don’t see the problem. Obviously the other fella asked for permission before you did this year. What exactly would you have said he if he told you he was huntin there this mornin? Be grateful you and whoever you had with you, had it to yourselves last year. Either way, no one has to report to you what they’re doing on land you don’t own. Most landowners I know who give permission to multiple people couldn’t give two cares if folks communicate amongst each other. Just as long as he doesn’t have to get involved in any of it.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:47 PM

Wonder if this other guy has ever had a barebutt whoopin with a sundried possum tail? I bet not.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I have no problem with that. But how would you feel if you were the landowner and allowed hunting under one condition, and then that condition was ignored?

Like I said before, landowner has not been notified

Is that what happened? Because that's not what your original post said. You said you asked permission to hunt a place you hunted last year, and was told you could, but that someone else was also already hunting there. YOU said ok, you would talk with him and try and coordinate hunts and the farmer says Ok, sure. I doubt the farmer cares if you hunt separately, or together. That's what YOU wanted and the other guy apparently doesn't want the same thing. Why would you think the farmer made it a condition of the other guy hunting with you just because you suggested it?

If the farmer told the other guy he was ONLY allowed to hunt if he was hunting with you, then that's an entirely different story. But if he didn't, then I don't think hunting with you is a condition of the other guy hunting there.

I guess you think him being there today will scare off your birds tomorrow. I don't know much about waterfowl hunting, but see how your hunt goes tomorrow. It might not even be an issue.

But to answer your original question I wouldn't be mad at all. I would chalk it up to it being the landowner's property and if he wants to let half a dozen different people hunt it, he can. Since it's just one lone guy hunting this place, I would just try and work around him.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 04:55 PM

Years ago I lost a farm for trapping due to 2 deer hunters who both had permission taking their beef to the landowner - who can be out there and who cannot. The landowners answer was not to let ANYONE on their land, including me. Beavers moved in and I was welcomed back!
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by BTLowry

I know money talks, but leasing it out from under a guy is a pretty douche bag move too.

Just business, I see no problem with it.. You can still invite the other guy.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 05:45 PM

Call him and ask him if he killed any and then invite him to hunt Saturday. Make a friend not an enemy.

Freakin’ geese ain’t worth it.

Also remember he has just as much permission as you do.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 06:12 PM

Starting to understand why waterfowl hunters have gotten a bad reputation the last 10-20 years.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 06:18 PM

1. He got permission to hunt then you called to get permission again. So you both have permission. Did the farmer ask either of you to not go without the other? That said, it was nice of you to invite him to hunt with you. I don't know why he went the day before you told him you were planning a hunt - and invited him along. If that was his only time available for a while or something - but it would have been nice to communicate that with you. Hopefully you guys can still work it out and the farmer will feel good he gave both of you permission.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 06:22 PM

Calm down, you killed 27. Farmer and landowner here. Do not act like children and bring this ridiculous argument to him.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 07:33 PM

How do you know if that person did not call the owner and set up different rules for himself as long as it's ok with the owner.?

I'd just be happy they guy was not being a problem with my hunting the ground !

Seems your making a mountain out of a mole hill cause he is on "your spot"

This is a classic example why property owners don't let people on their ground to hunt any more
as people go crazy when others don't "follow" everyone else's rules !

Just hunt, if you both show up on the same day and feel infringed on, the property probably is not large enough for
both of you any way's !
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 08:06 PM

Posted By: Law Dog

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 08:18 PM

Had a goose hunter complain I was trapping a badger hole that I had permission trap in a field, like a 2 minute check in and out if the geese were flying I’d check it later in the day no problem then. The guy never talked to me he just went crying to the landowner so I said sure I’ll pull the trap so I moved it 100 yards to the road ditch ROW. Caught a badger a few days later and I was out of there.

Later that year I had a duck blind behind my house it was a ideal setup freshly flooded cover the neighbor had cut a sweet strip of silage out of before it flooded it was like a landing strip with tall thick cover on each side of it. Basically a shooting gallery for ducks.

People asked to hunt the blind that I knew one was a City Officer that was friends with the goose hunters son had been for a long time. I said sure no problem just his Dad is not welcome I don’t want him around. Karma is a sweet thing.
Posted By: Marathon

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 09:40 PM

Posted By: GARY M.

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 09:43 PM

Life is to short to worry about stuff like that.
Posted By: uglyduck

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 10:49 PM

it's the farmers land, not yours/ not his. let that dog sleep--[1]
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 10:51 PM

At my farm a complaint like this would mean adios to the complainer.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 10:53 PM

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/17/21 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Originally Posted by rex123
Sounds like you want it by your rules. I don't see where anyone is wrong. I give it a 1 or 2.

No sir, the farmer is the one who asked that we communicate before hunting. That was his one rule. I did not make that rule

Communicate, certainly don't mean hunting together. Also maybe 1 or 2 birds are enough for him. You're almost sounding overbearing and pushy. I am a loner and would have turned down your idea of hunting with you. Did he ruin the hunting? Won't new birds migrate through? What kind of birds? I would take sun baked road kill possum over a Canada Goose. Scale my anger a -1
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 03:01 AM

The guy did exactly what he told the land owner he intended to do.

No one put you in charge. Your rules suck. If you don't like it hunt somewhere else.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 11:23 AM

Posted By: strike2x

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 12:13 PM

How many geese have you taken from this field. Sounds to me.like you either need to live with it or buy your own property. Maybe the guy is a loner and likes hunting by himself with just his decoys. Maybe he just doesn't like you telling him when and how he should hunt. Maybe be is the one who should be mad?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 12:17 PM

Really thinking you didn’t think this through or read it before you posted, lol. Both of you have permission, he had permission first and your upset he hunted before you. Sounds like the joys of public land hunting to me. You hunt when you can and he’ll hunt when he can.

I give it a 1
Posted By: Redknot

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 12:27 PM

Mortgage your house, buy your own field, hunt it any way you like, but don't forget to pay your taxes...On your scale: 0
Posted By: Getting There

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 12:41 PM

Do not involve the land owner or you may be 0 and be cut off. JMO
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/18/21 12:44 PM

It’s certainly less than ideal that he’s sore thumbbing it and that he didn’t communicate with you. I get that. I’d rather have good communication and cooperation.

However, think of it from his point of view. Maybe he wanted to see if he could have a successful hunt on his own. Since he was given permission from the landowner, maybe he didn’t feel like he owed you an explanation. At this point, what are your options?
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/19/21 01:47 AM

Communication

As Bill Clinton might say; "It depends on what the definition of communication Is"

You told him when you would be hunting next. He picked a day when you had not planned on hunting. I would consider that not only communication, but etiquette.

But, I have to wonder....You said you drove by on the way to work and saw him hunting. You also seem to know what all he shot at. It sounds like a lot more than just driving by.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/19/21 02:26 AM

Sounds like you think you can and want to control when others with permission hunt because that benefits you. He wants to hunt alone as the farmer told you. I don't think he should make you aware of when he wants or can hunt. You and your buddies killed 27.Does the farmer know you are taking all your buddies on your hunt ?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/19/21 03:36 AM

Score …. -1
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: On a scale of 1-10, how mad would you be? - 09/19/21 03:58 AM

Maybe he's nervous about hunting with people he doesn't know. Maybe he wants to see if he can do it without help. A lot of different variables to consider. I'd keep in contact with him and still put out the invitations. Don't think it's an issue worth getting upset about. 1
© 2024 Trapperman Forums