Home

Wall tent stove suggestions

Posted By: dinorocks

Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:03 AM

Thanks for looking! I just bought a 10x12 panther primitive wall tent and in the process of researching a good wood stove for it (I looked at Wall Tent Shop- I liked the Idaho Stove, and Big Sky Canvas- I liked the Spruce Stove). I plan to take the tent up to the ADKs on a two week trapping trip in mid November for its maiden voyage…temps sometimes drop to single digits but typically teens (F). I like the idea of the water warming tank on the side of the stove. I’m hoping to use the tent/stove a bunch as well as setting it up at some primitive rendezvous (the stove doesn’t need to be period correct)…

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions I can look into.

Dino

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/tent-stoves/products/idaho-stove

https://bigskycanvas.com/collections/canvas-tents/products/cylinder-stove
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:14 AM

Check out Davis tent and look at those. Canping out of a truck get one thats steel and air tight like youd want for your house.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:58 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I built this one from a fifty gallon drum. The lid is the bottom of the fire box now. The door is made from the cut out on the bottom and reinforced with the clamp that holds the lid on cut to size. Works great. Made a grate from some angle iron from a bed frame and a piece of horse panel. the stove pipe, grate and spark arrestor all fit inside the stove.

got the idea from white 17 and it was a good one
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 02:48 AM

The best tent stove that I've ever had or been around was my M-1950 Yukon. Mine is a surplus stove that came with the collapsible pipe and a liquid fuel adapter. It all fits inside the stove and its lightweight. I didnt think I'd want the liquid fuel option until i tried it. A 5 gal jerry can of gas kept my 17ftx17ft canvas tent at 70 deg for a day when the outside temps were in the teens with heavy winds.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I built this one from a fifty gallon drum. The lid is the bottom of the fire box now. The door is made from the cut out on the bottom and reinforced with the clamp that holds the lid on cut to size. Works great. Made a grate from some angle iron from a bed frame and a piece of horse panel. the stove pipe, grate and spark arrestor all fit inside the stove.

got the idea from white 17 and it was a good one

Yours is much nicer than the one I made, but this style is awesome and used one for a few seasons. Holds a lot of wood. I rigged up a little rack on the side and always kept a few small stones there. Perfect to drop into your boots for a few minutes before putting on
Posted By: EdP

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 11:56 AM

Take a look at Four Dog Stoves. I had their smaller 2 dog model in my 10x10 wall tent and it was a bit small for low teen temps when sleeping on the ground. (The upper part of the tent was plenty warm) You might want the larger model for the temps you expect to have. They also have the water tank option but keep in mind that it is a heat sink. A pot that you can put on and take off might make more sense.
Posted By: cmj

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 12:35 PM

How long does that 55 gal drum stove burn? Looks like a good idea.
Posted By: white17

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:20 PM

Depends on how tight you can build it and what wood you are using.
In mine, I can get about 6 hours using dry birch.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Take a look at Four Dog Stoves. I had their smaller 2 dog model in my 10x10 wall tent and it was a bit small for low teen temps when sleeping on the ground. (The upper part of the tent was plenty warm) You might want the larger model for the temps you expect to have. They also have the water tank option but keep in mind that it is a heat sink. A pot that you can put on and take off might make more sense.
For awhile he was only making the titanium stoves but I see on the website the larger one (4 dog). These are really good stoves in my opinion. I’ve had 2 of them for years.
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 01:56 PM

Dino, I have a 12x 12 pyramid with a 2 Dog stove with water tank and it stays plenty warm, trapped bobcats in nw pa for a week and we were mighty comfortable, dry mittens and socks hangin on the one pole sure felt good in the mornings ( teens last week of Dec.) Frosting on the cake we got our cat. The only draw back to the water jacket is losing water overnite due to evaporation, If ya got lots of water on hand no problem. Bob
Posted By: EdP

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 06:05 PM

The only draw back to the water jacket is losing water overnite due to evaporation, If ya got lots of water on hand no problem.

The stove heat is either boiling the water off or driving the evaporation rate. Either way it's adding moisture to the air in the tent and is a waste of energy because it's not going into heating the air. IMO a pot that you put on and take off makes more sense.
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 06:22 PM

EdP, you are right about the evaporation. It is the price you pay for constant hot water smile Bob
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/20/21 11:49 PM

I have a Kni-Co in my Snowtrekker Basecamp EXP 11x13. Light tent and light packable stove. Shelves and pipe all packs into the fire box. Been burning this one since 2013 with no problems. Got a water tank for it, but wasn't that useful. Having a kettle is way easier and quicker. Not as useful as you would think IMO. Shelves are great.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dinorocks

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 02:29 PM

Thanks for all your help…as of now I’m heading towards Cylinder Stove’s Outfitter model…but have not yet committed.

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/tent-stoves/products/cylinder-stoves
Posted By: bwurts

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 02:50 PM

I will add to the confusion - here is a stove that I bought - it has a baffle in it - it burns more efficient

Russian Bear wood stove
Posted By: bwurts

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 02:57 PM

I will add to the confusion - here is a stove that I bought - it has a baffle in it - it burns more efficient

Russian Bear wood stove

here is the same stove-- a Canadian Distributor - It is cheaper to buy from Canada with exchange rate Canadian Russian Bear Stove
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by dinorocks
Thanks for all your help…as of now I’m heading towards Cylinder Stove’s Outfitter model…but have not yet committed.

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/tent-stoves/products/cylinder-stoves

I have that one in the yukon , I believe, use it about 10 days a year for the last 15 or 20 years. kinda heavy but I like it.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 05:41 PM

I can get a lot more wood in a top loader for its size than any front loader Ive tried. This small barrel works food in little tents. I have a 45gal top loading barrel for the big tent.

[Linked Image]

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 05:59 PM

In my experience, one drawback to a full sized vertical drum is that the fire is too far below the cooking surface. If you want a quick meal it will almost run you out of the tent while trying to cook it. Not a bad feature though if it's 50 below

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 06:16 PM

That’s for sure White. You need as asbestos chaps if your going to fry steaks on it. Not bad for keeping coffee hot or cooking an all day stew though. I usually have a Coleman stove along for main meal cooking or at least a burner for fast boiling. I can get a pot of coffee perking in the AM on the barrel when I load it up and open vents in the morning but too hot for regular cooking.

Nice thing is when fully loaded and dampened down it lasts all night fer sure. Rarely have to strike a match after returning to camp after a long day either. Usually enough coals to just add wood and open vents.

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 06:36 PM

LOL !!! Asbestos chaps !! laugh
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 07:06 PM

These light little stoves are popular with hunters trappers prospectors etc.They are cheap,very lightweight,come in 3 sizes and have sand baffles inside(prevent premature burnout).They are sold at Home Hardware. [Linked Image]

I have this one in my skinning shed.medium size.They are easy to control the burn and burn a long rime,and give good heat with the right wood.

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 07:18 PM

I had one similar to that years ago. Great heat transfer and produced heat very quickly

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 07:23 PM

I think they are sold as "Air Tight" stoves. Had one in a camper once and I've got one at the cabin in Canada for portable use. The last time I ordered one from the Co-op in Vermilion Bay ON the guy told me they only come in two sizes now. Large and medium I believe but cant remember for sure.

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 07:28 PM

Mine had a cast iron door on the front. Very handy !
Posted By: Michigander

Re: Wall tent stove suggestions - 09/21/21 07:36 PM

If you can weld they aren't too hard to make. I made this one out of some scrap I had laying around. The legs and stovepipe easily fit inside for moving and storage. Pretty heavy though, not packable. It will cook you out of the tent if you desire. The door is off an old barrel kit, works slick.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums