Home

Surveillance systems?

Posted By: adam m

Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 01:51 AM

What systems do you guys like?

After the break in I bought Ring cameras and had nothing but problems. I'm now looking for another brand.
Considering Arlo (most expensive fee), Google nest, and Blink. I'm open to other suggestions too.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 01:55 AM

Vivint is what the wife has for the house, spendy if you ask me but it gives her a sense of peace so...

I do get a discount on home owners insurance because of it.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 02:01 AM

I have a Blink system which ive been 95 percent happy with. It has a large storage capacity and the video is quality. The range is good, i have one camera mounted in a tree a ways from the house. Its easy to use. Id buy it again.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 02:27 AM

Simple safe make some good ones. The best around here are put in by the telephone company’s and are very expensive
Posted By: Oh Snap

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by DWC
I have a Blink system which ive been 95 percent happy with. It has a large storage capacity and the video is quality. The range is good, i have one camera mounted in a tree a ways from the house. Its easy to use. Id buy it again.

Is it a blue tooth or hard wire camera?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 02:47 AM

Just got Blink a couple weeks ago. So far so good. Easy to set up and use.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 03:58 AM

ADC &DWC that's good to know, what are the few issues you are having with it?
Oh Snap the outdoor units are wireless with a 2 year battery life. Indoor cameras are plug in.

Vivant is expensive
I'll look into simpli safe

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 04:29 AM

Its all wireless that goes to my phone. Sometimes ill end up with a motion notification from a camera that was hours prior. Its rare but it happens. Would be concerning if that failed or late notification was someone creeping around outside. But like i said, its a rare occurrence that happens.
Posted By: Hanger

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 09:49 AM

Arlo is ok, the delay for the camera is about 4 min. Sometimes the battery last a month sometimes a week, depending on how much action they see.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 10:10 AM

Looking myself after being robbed bigtime. My home is rather hard to see. Nice tips.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:22 AM

I have no personal experience, but my sister uses ring cameras and is always sending me videos of coyotes in her front yard. She just bought 2 more and loves them

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hanger
Arlo is ok, the delay for the camera is about 4 min. Sometimes the battery last a month sometimes a week, depending on how much action they see.

Forgot to talk about those two things. Blinks delay is about a second and i still havent changed batteries after a year and a half. Had to replaced one when a woodpecker and a squirrel teamed up on one. They buzz quietly when they activate, must irritate them. Wasps seem attracted too.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:54 AM

Yes our front camera attracts a lot of wasp attention.
Posted By: jk

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:56 AM

I am surrounded by good neighboors, most exmilitary and being the oldest one around they take care of things for me. I am surprised that in SD ND NM Iowa Kansas that you need such things
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:58 AM

get you a little yappy lap dog. when it wakes you up go outside with a shotgun full of #4 buckshot and a full choke.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 12:00 PM

We have Vivint and also supplemented some WYZE cameras as well. There’s not a spot around the house that isn’t covered. We had received several threats during the fight for CJ and felt it was the best protection. If that doesn’t work I have several recently retired neighbors that enjoy target practice, lol. Been called several times asking if the car/person in my yard was supposed to be there.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 12:02 PM

[Linked Image]
I use mine mainly for animals.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 01:06 PM

Yes our front camera attracts a lot of wasp attention.

Hang A wasp trap nearby that camera.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DWC

Forgot to talk about those two things. Blinks delay is about a second and i still havent changed batteries after a year and a half. Had to replaced one when a woodpecker and a squirrel teamed up on one. They buzz quietly when they activate, must irritate them. Wasps seem attracted too.

Woah that's a big delay and charging for arlo. Very good to know. I have been considering the floodlight with solar panel.

That's awesome about Blink.

My ring cameras would delay with various time delays. Sometimes it would record somrtime's records late sometimes didn't record. My ring doorbell didn't record the car the guy used even though he parked in front of the doorbell camera.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 03:04 PM

Another option is a wireless trail cam. Can get some brands for $100 bucks and monthly plan for $5. Then you can move it around where needed for surprise.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Another option is a wireless trail cam. Can get some brands for $100 bucks and monthly plan for $5. Then you can move it around where needed for surprise.

Thought about that but I haven't found any for tmobile

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 04:27 PM

In reality the arlo that I use and others like it are only good for what they record. I had a system called night owl at my previous house which was way better. It was hard wired with a 1 terabyte memory on 24hr recording. By the time you get the alert you are already a couple minutes in a burglary. I’ve timed it. See someone in my yard (friend) call my closes neighbor to drive over guns a blazing. By the time everything is said and done 13 min. If you’re really worried get safe touch or something along that line where there is someone actually monitoring your line.
Posted By: ack

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 06:16 PM

Defender guard from Sam's club.
Reach cam has its own SD card.

Here is a screen shot off my phone while viewing live.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ack

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 06:17 PM

The uploaded pic just doesn't do it justice.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 06:18 PM

Blink has the initial purchase fee then you can choose to not buy anything else. It saves the videos on your phone for a certain set number of days (your choice) then deletes them,,, but you can save them to your computer off your phone and even put them on a memory card to saved forever. You buy the system and however many cameras them add more cameras anytime to wanna buy more. Right now is the time to buy them too, before the special offer runs out... https://smile.amazon.com/Blink-Outd...mp;sprefix=blink+%2Caps%2C426&sr=8-1 $120 today vs the $180 I paid just a few weeks ago for a two camera outdoor system.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 09:09 PM

Adc, Costco has a 5 camera package on sale for $250 until 9/26. 4 outdoor 1 indoor. I don't think I need 5 at the moment so that deal you linked might be a better option.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by jk
I am surrounded by good neighboors, most exmilitary and being the oldest one around they take care of things for me. I am surprised that in SD ND NM Iowa Kansas that you need such things

The neighbors are not the concern. I work nights, the security system gives my wife the drop she feels she needs in such a situation... I wouldn't mess with her, her home defense is a CMMG Banshee with multiple 33 round mags...

Bad things can happen anywhere.

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
Adc, Costco has a 5 camera package on sale for $250 until 9/26. 4 outdoor 1 indoor. I don't think I need 5 at the moment so that deal you linked might be a better option.

You can add more cameras anytime. Just buy the extra camera and add it to the system, very easy.

I'd hurry if you think you wanna go that route, I'd bet that limited time deal won't last, may be back to $180 tomorrow.

Right now add-on cameras are $60 and the 5 camera kit with everything is $260.00 as well.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 10:32 PM

When its turned on

[Linked Image]

And when its turned off.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 10:33 PM

Lol Scuba!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:06 PM

x2 LOL, Handsome Dog.
Posted By: panaxman

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:49 PM

[Linked Image]

We use a Ring plus an inside camera. Good set of ears in the window helps too.
Posted By: John C

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/21/21 11:57 PM

I’ve got Eufy at my house. It’s a wireless system that looks like arlo for the cams and ring for the doorbell cam. It uses its own wireless system base station that hard wires into my router. Does not slow down y home network ‘this way. Also uses an app and NO FEES! This was the biggest draw for me. I’ve been happy. Battery life is supposed to be 180 days. Seems like 100-120 and they are rechargeable batteries. Just plug them in like your phone or iPad and give them four or five hours. Setup was pretty simple and the app is very intuitive for me. I spent about $320 for two cams, a doorbell cam, base station and accessories like charging cord. Got it off of Amazon(aka Walmart of the Internet).

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/22/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by panaxman
[Linked Image]

This is all you really need... I have a buddy who's a retired cop, he has said that he never went to a home break in where a dog was present during the break in.
Posted By: John C

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/22/21 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701
Originally Posted by panaxman
[Linked Image]

This is all you really need... I have a buddy who's a retired cop, he has said that he never went to a home break in where a dog was present during the break in.

I will say after getting into German shorthair pointers I haven’t had a car break in since. Before my cars were broken into at least once a mo th if we accidentally left the doors unlocked. My neighbors cars have been broken into twice in two years.ive learned when my dogs bark there’s a reason and even though they are kenneled people can’t see them from the driveway and are scared. I’ve got video of the fedex guy throwing packages and running back to his truck and slamming the door shut as if the kenneled dogs were chasing him.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/22/21 01:19 PM

i have had a lorex system with four cameras with a monitor in the house for several years is there any other cameras you can hook up to my monitor rather than a phone will blink work
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/22/21 02:40 PM

My security system is also portable and voice activated. So I can use it in the truck and just leave the backup systems at home when I leave to go out to town or a walk

[Linked Image]

Here is a pic of the backup. it has 360 degree coverage

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Surveillance systems? - 09/22/21 05:46 PM

Any idea how far away from the modem the Bing camera can be and still send pics?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums