Home

Ever been in bed

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 09:35 AM

Y'all ever been in bed , havin' a bit if trouble sleepin and hear the owls n' yotes out and just decided to go sit on the porch in ya pj's for abit and just listen ? Something about it I can't explain. Once your eyes adjust you can see the possums or other critters lingering around , bats flying ,hear all the crickets and what not. It's just nice I reckon...feels like it's good for something don't know what though, puts the mind a ease regardless...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 09:50 AM

We sit out back alot and do that too. Or sometimes we start a small fire and just listen to it crackle
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 09:53 AM

yes
Posted By: womper

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 09:58 AM

Yep, as a matter of fact, I just came in a little bit ago. I live in subdivision, mostly 1 acre lots,but my backyard is surrounded by arborvitaes so it's like I am in my own little world out there.
The older I get the earlier I wake up, so I sit out there and just listen to the sounds of nature. I normally only see rabbits ,hopping around , and the occasional owl,
I know we have possum and coon , every year I have to nab a few with my live traps , to try to keep them out of the bird feeders.
There is something about sitting out there , before first light , that is very peaceful. On more than one occasion, I have fallen back to sleep on our patio furniture.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:00 AM

Be thankful you live where you can do that. It is nice though.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:19 AM

People live their whole lives and never experience or appreciate this solemn and peaceful type thing. If we’d all sit on the porch more with a cup of coffee and just calmly contemplate we’d live longer.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:26 AM

All my life since I was about four years old. Used to ask my mother if I could sleep on the back porch so I could see the stars at night.
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:28 AM

Yes. I like to go out and see if the stars are shining.

My wife thinks I'm weird.

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:36 AM

My wife thinks I'm weird too amspoker wink.
I am weird. You're weird. We're trappers whistle

But the Mrs. gets a little softer when I gather the grandkids around papa, and tell the youngins to "look up! The heavens and stars tell us of God's glory." laugh

Gotta prepare the young noggins for public ed.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:13 AM

Just did it about 3:30 this morning. Went out on the deck to take a pee (I prefer peeing off my deck over using the bathroom) and the full Harvest Moon was looking spectacular. I sat down and just took it all in for a while before heading back inside to bed.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:19 AM

Yep...love it...
Posted By: run

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:24 AM

Yes.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:33 AM

I was askeered to open this thread!
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:42 AM

Pajamas? I haven't worn pajamas since I was a little kid. Guess I better stay indoors.
Posted By: jk

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:48 AM

That and lying under a tin roof in a lite rain. Just the ping ping of the rain drops. I was from NJ a long time ago but went to a wedding 2 years ago. A couple of friends were getting remarried, they had lived all there life in NJ but got remarried in eastern Pa. In the evening they came out and saw stars and were surprised, no stars in NJ I assume. I bet that 1/4 of the pop of the USA can not see stars........jk
Posted By: DWC

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
We sit out back alot and do that too. Or sometimes we start a small fire and just listen to it crackle

My favorite part of the fire is watching the embers flicker at the end when theres no flame left. And no im not high when i do it.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:50 AM

I just want to know your secret for mosquito control??? Back porch is screened in, I could sit there, lol.
That reminds me the first time I took CJ on a coon hunt. All the talking had stopped and everyone was quiet with anticipation of hearing the dogs cut loose when CJ yelled out, “I have superpowers! I can see in the dark!” He then started naming and pointing to everyone around him, lol. He was so proud that he was in the middle of the woods, in the dead of night with no lights, and could see in the dark.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:56 AM

If you want to see the stars you need to be in a western desert or mountain top on a moonless cloudless below0 cold winter night, far from any town or yard light. There will not only be no other light but no humidity either. It is indescribable. If you have not seen them you can't even imagine.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
If you want to see the stars you need to be in a western desert or mountain top on a moonless cloudless below0 cold winter night, far from any town or yard light. There will not only be no other light but no humidity either. It is indescribable. If you have not seen them you can't even imagine.

Seen what your describing from Mexico to Iraq…same beautiful sight and stars no matter what continent you’re on. Gives you a peace of mind knowing it’s the same view back home in SWGA.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:14 PM

All the time. It's good for your soul. Something about hearing coyotes though, seems to wake up a part of me... hard to explain but somehow it energizes me. Everything else...the owls, katydids, crickets, frogs, night birds, etc bring a peaceful, easy feeling.... but then the coyotes howl and I'm 100% alive and alert.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
All my life since I was about four years old. Used to ask my mother if I could sleep on the back porch so I could see the stars at night.

Does your mom still let you?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:16 PM

Mark there isn't need to prepare them for public indoctrination camp. You're better educated than my wife and I and we homeschool. Grandparents can do that to.

I'm to close to Louisville for the stars to shine bright. But yes I enjoy being out enjoying gods creation. I was simply driving back roads I ran as a teen and had not been down in years last week. I realized I was working to many 16hr days and not slowing down enough to hit my recharge speed when at home on the farm or even when taking the boys hunting.

Wolf dog are you pj's one piece felt with the built in plastic footies? wink.

I'm likely to be in my boxers or necked If it's late enough and everyone is asleep and I don't bother putting anything on when I get up. But being necked has become rare for the last 15 years or so because of having a daughter.
Posted By: 653

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:20 PM

the best nights are sleepless ones fer sure sometimes
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:44 PM

Just got back from a solo antelope hunt. Really enjoyed the tranquility of sleeping out in the middle of no where alone with a bright moon out. Wake up several times a night just to take it in .
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Y'all ever been in bed , havin' a bit if trouble sleepin and hear the owls n' yotes out and just decided to go sit on the porch in ya pj's for abit and just listen ? Something about it I can't explain. Once your eyes adjust you can see the possums or other critters lingering around , bats flying ,hear all the crickets and what not. It's just nice I reckon...feels like it's good for something don't know what though, puts the mind a ease regardless...
[Linked Image]

Yup,,then just when my mind starts getting all peacefull like,,,I start thinking about how they want me to bag my own groceries at the self checkout contraption.LOL grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 12:56 PM

Just so you don't start howling at the full moon Wolfie!!!

Nah, I go out on the porch with my Wife at night- She smokes and I've never. But we hear all that You described ...It's Nice!
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 01:00 PM

that moon the last few nights has been something , rained here last night sever storms at the NW edge of the county

my daughter moved to Milwaukee about a month ago , dad you can't see any stars , I mean I knew there would be less but , like any.

when I moved to Madison for college I used to take drives to get out of the city and see some corn , why corn , woods would have worked also but when you grow up with corn in most every direction for miles something about driving a county road through corn is just calming .
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 01:18 PM

Being in the tree stand at dark is like that you hear a lot of nature sounds, I don’t mind taking the dog out to pee at all hours also because you never know what you will see in the night sky.
Posted By: jk

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 01:34 PM

Same here, I sailed the southeast Pacific many times and there is a totally different sky when you dont have competing man made lites around......jk
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 02:41 PM

Yup I like to give the yotes a wolf howl, they either go crazy or silent for a few min

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Mark there isn't need to prepare them for public indoctrination camp. You're better educated than my wife and I and we homeschool. Grandparents can do that to.

I'm to close to Louisville for the stars to shine bright. But yes I enjoy being out enjoying gods creation. I was simply driving back roads I ran as a teen and had not been down in years last week. I realized I was working to many 16hr days and not slowing down enough to hit my recharge speed when at home on the farm or even when taking the boys hunting.

Wolf dog are you pj's one piece felt with the built in plastic footies? wink.

I'm likely to be in my boxers or necked If it's late enough and everyone is asleep and I don't bother putting anything on when I get up. But being necked has become rare for the last 15 years or so because of having a daughter.

It's grandkiddos. We raised the 5 of ours so now to the next bunch. wink
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 04:51 PM

I don't do it too often, because I sleep like a rock, but I love sitting outside at 5 in the morning looking at the stars.

A buddy used to come to the farm to play guitars and drink some whiskey once a month or so. I'd set up the stuff outside so he could play while I got the BBQ ready, then we'd eat some backstraps and something else, and play electric guitars til 3 or 4 in the morning. Nearest neighbors were far enough away they couldn't hear us... only the sheep and foxes were bothered.

Love the night sky.

Pete
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 10:51 PM

I like to take a hand held rechargeable spot light to light up their eyes.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:15 PM

I really enjoy the dead of night. I really enjoy duck hunting. Having my decoys out 1 1/2 hrs before shooting hrs. Listening to the sounds. 1/2 hr before predawn. The birds start singing. Almost like they are celebrating the new day. Summertime is the best to hear the birds.
Posted By: Starbits

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:25 PM

I have the fixings for it. A pair of great horned owls live and breed on my property. Love seeing and hearing them except when I leave my big shop door open and they roost inside and crap all over my stuff. There were more coyotes here 5 years ago. Now I think every house nearby has multiple dogs, must be 50+ dogs live within half mile of me. Love hearing the coyotes, can't stand listening to the dogs barking. A single coyote yipping will set off the dogs for an hour or more.
It is nice when the dogs are quiet and the owls are talking to each other.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/21/21 11:27 PM

I have several generations of Barred Owl's out back, when they get cranked up it's crazy loud.
Posted By: charles

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 12:12 AM

I grew up before A/C. Slept all summer in the South with the windows open, in a hot upstairs bedroom. Heard lots of sounds. Wasn’t much fun for me.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
I really enjoy the dead of night. I really enjoy duck hunting. Having my decoys out 1 1/2 hrs before shooting hrs. Listening to the sounds. 1/2 hr before predawn. The birds start singing. Almost like they are celebrating the new day. Summertime is the best to hear the birds.

I've never been a duck hunter but that post almost makes me want to be.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 12:52 AM

I love going out about 2 in the morning when I am way out in the bush about 80 miles from town at the trapping cabin on the north line.Especially on a clear night in december or january when it is about 40 below,and gazing up at the multitude of stars and galaxies in the dead silence.When the moon is full it is like daylight from the reflection off the pure white snow.Once in a while a tree will crack from the cold or the river ice will moan and you feel like you are the only living thing in the universe.
Often you can get wolves to howl at each other way off in the forest by giving a howl in winter or in the fall a moose call and you realize you are not alone.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 02:32 AM

I can't stand the bugs outside.

I just head to the basement and let the rats entertain me.

In the winter, it's an entirely different story.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 02:47 AM

Full moon lighting up the snow in a billion diamond sparkles in the dead of night.

Stars so brilliant you can see every constellation you love.

The hush of snow, as in a soundproof room. Draping the conifers in blue white cones. The blacks, paynes grey, cobalt, gunmetal blues of shadows.

Hear the elk and deer cutting twigs and chewing .....breathing, if they are close enough.

Crunch of feet, every step , in crisp cold snow.

Jagged peaks looming black against the skies .

The lights appear. Greens, blues, purples, yellows, reds....rippling , folding , reflecting on the waters, the peaks ...transfixed breathless for hours to see.

You are in the north. And loving every minute.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 03:04 AM

What Sharon said.
Posted By: white17

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 01:56 PM

Exquisite Sharon !
Posted By: run

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 03:09 PM

I can see the stars on our farm in Page County.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Ever been in bed - 09/22/21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Exquisite Sharon !

Thank you, Sir , and T Rex ....summer has been so well described on other posts here, so I thought I'd add in the beauties of winter. Fall has its own unique life beauty enjoyed . So glad it is finally here !

Wolfie started such a nice subject .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums