Home

temporary muffler patch?

Posted By: Marty

temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 08:18 PM

What can I use for a temporary patch on a crack in a muffler......it is about 6" across the short width and 3" from an end.

Thanks.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 08:43 PM

They sell a fiberglass tape, kinda like duct tape, just for that at most auto parts places.
Posted By: danvee

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 08:45 PM

none of it works to much expansion and contraction might try a mig weld
Posted By: Cragar

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 08:50 PM

Most patch jobs on mufflers do not last.

If you patch it , it will only open up again just near the patch as the rust is almost like a cancer and is nearby waiting to pop out just past the repaired area. Like some cancers , cutting it out and replacing the muffler is your only true , good fix.

Brazing it up is a decent short term fix if you are trying to pass inspection or planning on getting rid of the vehicle.
Friend of mine brazed up an exhaust leak on his car , 2weeks later , brazed it up again 2 inches further up the line , 2 weeks again , another patch , 2 weeks again , same thing. Again and again and again. Finally after using up a tank of acetylene and several pounds of brazing rods , he gave up and got the exhaust properly repaired.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 09:02 PM

Not sure how far you plan on driving Marty but my college buddy and I once tried doing the fiberglass patch routine before we left for home one Summer. Sucker caught on fire! Be careful.
Posted By: charles

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 09:45 PM

Either ask Coonman, or try pantyhose and fluid film.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 09:48 PM

There's an aluminum sticky tape that might work for awhile. My pickemup has 140000 on the original muffler. I don't let it cool down!
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 09:49 PM

Wrap the affected area in aluminum flashing, overlapping the hole 2-3 inches and secure both ends with hose clamps....I've run them for years that way.
Posted By: hippie

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/25/21 11:50 PM

I had one come in the shop a year ago, maybe two but anyhow this guy had pop rivited a patch on the bottom of his muffler.

Dang thing was sealed up pretty good too! You wouldn't have known it unless ya saw it like I did, it was quiet.

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 12:48 AM

I like the idea's and appreciate it very much, thanks to all.... smile
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 01:10 AM

Carbon dust is explosive. Bad idea to weld on a muffler. Can explode into little razor blades. Rusted out things are usually rusted in many places. Pop rivets sounds like a good deal.

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 01:13 AM

Mine is more cracked than rusted....or so it seemed to me at a quick glance. Stage 1 will be aluminum flashing/hose clamps...I think.
Posted By: GRP

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by charles

When I saw this thread, that's who I thought the OP was
Posted By: PAlltheway

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 01:41 AM

The Red Green Show had an excellent how-to video short on this exact subject. I think he used duct tape. I’ll have to go back and see it again to make sure
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: temporary muffler patch? - 09/26/21 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by charles

And play trash Pandora music real loud when you are using the pantyhose and fluid film.
grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums