Home

Slingshot ??

Posted By: Dillrod

Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 01:22 AM

Looking for recommendations on a great backyard slingshot.
Any pros or cons when I'm shopping is greatly needed.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 02:15 AM

I just get whatever is cheap at Walmart. Works well enough for me. Get a couple replacement bands to keep on hand, too.
Posted By: SJA

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 02:16 AM

Wrist Rocket :-)

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 02:23 AM

Checking videos on YouTube about how to use
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 02:35 AM

Simple Shot. Good information and products. Many videos.

Flat Bands are the best option right now, The surgical tube WristRocket type of slingshot is much harder to master and have no real advantages compared to the "modern" slingshots available now.

Give their site a Look.
https://simple-shot.com

Bill Hays is another good one.
https://pocketpredator.com/
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 12:25 PM

My dad and my uncle used to shoot slingshots they’d carve one out of a fork in a tree put bands on it and they got very very good with them they’d go coon hunting and rabbit hunting with nothing but a slingshot and they always ate well in fact if I may just have to have my uncle make me one and send it to me.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 12:49 PM

Thx for the links Horn
I'm 68 yrs old, retired and I have plenty of time to practice.
I think its like recurves and long bows .
Lots of practice.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 01:02 PM

I go in in waves, I shoot a bunch for a few months then I don't. I found storing the slingshots in a airtight bag along with replacement bands helps them last. I think ozone or sunlight degrades the bands. I live on a lake, I toss a chunk of wood or lily pad flower out to shoot at. The water shows my miss and I can correct better. I like to cast my own shot, using a fishing split shot mold. 5/16 nuts work pretty good for close range vermin. Slingshots are quite fun.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dillrod

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are talking about.?

I didn't know you could buy a slingshot. Ever since I was about 6 years old we always made them as long as we could find some good stout string or leather and then a bigger piece of leather for the holder.

This is a picture of a slingshot and not everybody can learn to use one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:38 PM

I agree with the Wrist Rocket recomendation. Had one for many, many, years. I would use marbles for ammo, but usually just rocks. If a guy makes a swing up through the western U.P. he could find a truckload of taconite pellets for super duper ammo. I still own my original Wrist Rocket. A new set of bands (they use surgical tubing) every so often and your in business.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are talking about.?

I didn't know you could buy a slingshot. Ever since I was about 6 years old we always made them as long as we could find some good stout string or leather and then a bigger piece of leather for the holder.

This is a picture of a slingshot and not everybody can learn to use one.

[Linked Image]

I've always just seen that referred to as a "sling" which is different than a "slingshot". This is what most people call a sling shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:41 PM

Cedar i think anybody can be taught to use one and if your serious about rock chucking those things are deadly. I like about a 5 footer.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:43 PM

When I was a kid I would use the tongue out of an old pair of boots for the pouch and boot laces for the cord
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 04:43 PM

I still have my old wrist rocket too. I have bought the new models for my sons. They work great.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Horn

Flat Bands are the best option right now, The surgical tube WristRocket type of slingshot is much harder to master and have no real advantages compared to the "modern" slingshots available now.

Give their site a Look.

Thanks for these links. Adding one to my Christmas list, lol.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 06:20 PM

Another for WRIST ROCKET

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 07:37 PM

I'm leaning hvy on a flat band system.
Still researching and filtering thru for info.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
I agree with the Wrist Rocket recomendation. Had one for many, many, years. I would use marbles for ammo, but usually just rocks. If a guy makes a swing up through the western U.P. he could find a truckload of taconite pellets for super duper ammo. I still own my original Wrist Rocket. A new set of bands (they use surgical tubing) every so often and your in business.

Two buckets full , last time up to McFarland camp.
Yes it was wrist rockets and ore pellets while running around the UP as a teen.
Few partridge and a fat doe in the rear is my best.
I see far superior info and equipment available now.
And I have a lil squirrel dog who will find them all day long for me.
Its my season goal to get a meal of them with my slingshot.
I figure I have till the leaves go away to practice.
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 11:14 PM

Dillrod check out the Scout and the Axiom, I have the Scout lots of fun very accurate with a little practice . No problem taking out small game .
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/26/21 11:41 PM

I've owned several versions of the cheap wrist rockets. I've taken squirrels and birds as a kid. The best ammo - in my opinion is glass marbles.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 12:01 AM

I'm a wrist rocket guy too think got 3 different models. One regular two folding style. I don't think bands are as good as in years past. I usually kept one under seat my truck. Seem ok in winter but summer heat ruins them bands fast.
I got jar full different size steel bears. Also if need ammo when pour round head fishing jig. Make hang full 1/4 round head no hooks.

Mac
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 01:12 AM

The last time this thread went around I think someone said .40 cal roundballs were the best sling shot ammo.

I need a slingshot.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 01:18 AM

Soybeans at harvest time make decent cheap ammo too if you have access to them :-)

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 02:57 AM

Sling Shots (Slingshots) - Primitive Weapons
Sling Shots were ancient, primitive weapons used by Native Americans that required minimal resources or technology to construct. Hurling stones using Sling Shots (slingshots) demanded little equipment and not much practice to be effective. However, the accuracy of sling shots was totally dependent on the shooter. Native American children were encouraged to use sling shots from an early age and by the time they were old enough to participate in hunting and warfare their skills and accuracy were considerable. Nearly all of the ancient tribes of Native Americans used sling shots but as they are deemed to be inferior weapons and made of perishable materials, few ancient sling shots have survived and are rarely depicted in the paintings of the period.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jk

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 11:15 AM

Someone said "The last time this thread went around I think someone said .40 cal roundballs were the best sling shot ammo." and if that is the same as 3/8 ounce round sinkers - lead- then I agree. You feel it when you shoot and they het hard, never even thought of using my glass marbles, they were to valuable at the time.......jk
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 11:22 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0
Posted By: TRAPPER TOM

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Originally Posted by Horn

Give their site a Look.

Thanks for these links. Adding one to my Christmas list, lol.

i have two from simple shot the sparrow and axiom
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 04:52 PM

I like the Simple Shot Occouls (spelling) line a lot, much easier to attach and adjust the bands.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/27/21 06:53 PM

Wrist Rocket's are awesome, as noted, buy extra rubbers, wear safety glass's, and I buy 5 lb sacks of Buck shot for ammo.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker
Sling Shots (Slingshots) - Primitive Weapons
Sling Shots were ancient, primitive weapons used by Native Americans that required minimal resources or technology to construct. Hurling stones using Sling Shots (slingshots) demanded little equipment and not much practice to be effective. However, the accuracy of sling shots was totally dependent on the shooter. Native American children were encouraged to use sling shots from an early age and by the time they were old enough to participate in hunting and warfare their skills and accuracy were considerable. Nearly all of the ancient tribes of Native Americans used sling shots but as they are deemed to be inferior weapons and made of perishable materials, few ancient sling shots have survived and are rarely depicted in the paintings of the period.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I never realized it until I started getting into researching proper slingshot technique.
Its really big in non firearms countries .
They call it a Catapult. Not slingshots ?
Google that and you will find some great stuff to watch.

I believe you may be correct.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 01:18 AM

So, where are all you bible thumpers, now?

What did David use to off Goliath?

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 01:43 AM

If you ever fooled with one, a shot to the head could real easy kill a man. Havnt in a while but I made them when I was a kid. Accuracy takes time. Takes a bit to learn you dont try and put muscle in it you want to get some speed going. And you can. Such a simple thing will really chuck a rock.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 02:03 AM

Can we at least agree on terminology.

A sling uses cordage and is launched by swinging.

A slingshot uses elastic to accelerate ammo

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 02:09 AM

Why care?. You're hurling a projectile by means of an apparatus. grin
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 02:12 AM

I always used a wrist rocket, when I was a kid. But, I think, a sling would be fun to make and learn how to use it! I bet, a sling will be way more stronger than any sling shot! At least, that’s what I think!

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
I always used a wrist rocket, when I was a kid. But, I think, a sling would be fun to make and learn how to use it! I bet, a sling will be way more stronger than any sling shot! At least, that’s what I think!

. . . and you would be correct in your assumption. Centrifugal force is far stronger in energy released than direct "non rotating" propulsion.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 07:30 AM

So a sling has stronger energy release than a rifle?

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SJA
Why care?. You're hurling a projectile by means of an apparatus. grin

I don't care how or which one is better, or any of that. I just want to understand which one someone is talking about.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by SJA
Centrifugal force is far stronger in energy released than direct "non rotating" propulsion.
Now there is a pretty strong statement. It could be true in the world of sling vs slingshot, but not as a stand alone generalization.

If I go to a sling, though, I may have to put on a small addition to my hunting blind.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 02:22 PM

This is why rifles have lands and grooves and are now days "jacketed" ? - Centrifugal force
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
Can we at least agree on terminology.

A sling uses cordage and is launched by swinging.

A slingshot uses elastic to accelerate ammo

Thank you!

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

Two buckets full , last time up to McFarland camp.
Yes it was wrist rockets and ore pellets while running around the UP as a teen.
Few partridge and a fat doe in the rear is my best.
I see far superior info and equipment available now.
And I have a lil squirrel dog who will find them all day long for me.
Its my season goal to get a meal of them with my slingshot.
I figure I have till the leaves go away to practice.

My old Wrist Rocket bagged all manner of smallgame. Lots of squirrels, the odd rabbit or two, as well as some Spuce Grouse up in Ontario. My biggest kill was a Red fox I killed in a #2 Victor coilspring. It was the second fox I ever caught. My Pappy wouldn't let me carry the .22 rifle that a.m. because I had to ride about a mile north of the house on a mini bike to check the trap. I used marbles (several) to kill the poor beast. Got $5 out of it too.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 07:36 PM

Rifles are jacketed and have rifling grooves in the barrel for accuracy,has nothing to do with speed

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/28/21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87
Rifles are jacketed and have rifling grooves in the barrel for accuracy,has nothing to do with speed

Meant to say most bullets are "jacketed" so they don't fragment during propulsion due to centrifugal force . . . and yes rifling does have an impact on accuracy as well as on speed. Study ballistics.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/29/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by SJA
This is why rifles have lands and grooves and are now days "jacketed" ? - Centrifugal force
You are going to have to explain that one!!!

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/29/21 02:13 AM

No. Did you read my post above yours?
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/29/21 02:15 AM

sure would love to learn how to be accurate with a sling. any proper videos would be appreciated.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/29/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by BuckMink
sure would love to learn how to be accurate with a sling. any proper videos would be appreciated.

YouTube: "using a sling"

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/29/21 05:14 AM

SJA so your telling me a rifle with a rifled barrel will shoot a projectile at a higher velocity than that same rifle with a smooth bore?i need to study ballistics?I think you need to study physics bud lol
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Slingshot ?? - 09/30/21 02:49 AM

https://www.fowlersmakeryandmischief.com/shop-t-shirts-autographed-pictures-fowler-alone

This guy has some good I tub videos of him shooting and hunting with a sling shot.

He used flat bands and can light a match by shooting it. The man is accurate.

My boys watched his channel for a while.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/01/21 01:17 AM

thank you.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
https://www.fowlersmakeryandmischief.com/shop-t-shirts-autographed-pictures-fowler-alone

This guy has some good I tub videos of him shooting and hunting with a sling shot.

He used flat bands and can light a match by shooting it. The man is accurate.

My boys watched his channel for a while.

His instructional video's is what got me reinterested in trying to get serious about it.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I still have my old wrist rocket too. I have bought the new models for my sons. They work great.

I got mine taken away at age 15 for shooting a town bully with mine- using Crab apples.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 01:24 PM

So what's the difference between a slingshot and a flip?

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 01:37 PM

A flip is a slang synonym for slingshot that I have not heard in quite a while.

I suspect it is a regional thing.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 01:44 PM

If, at age 15 someone had taken away my slingshot; I would have a built a replacement within the day.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 01:50 PM

If, at age 15 someone had taken away my slingshot; I would have a built a replacement within the day.

Oh I bought a New Wristrocket the next day.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 04:07 PM

I loved my wrist rockets. My boys have killed pigeon and other birds with theirs. I admit I'm interested in trying out the flat band one and actually learning proper technique.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 04:11 PM

Proper technique? Start shooting. You’ll figure out what works. I thought every kid in America had made inner tube band slingshots till store bought could be procured.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 04:21 PM

Just ordered a couple off Simple Shot.
I'm a $100 bucks into it now.
I did pick up a flat band from E-Bay just to try.
I'm down at the lake learning technique and anchor points.
Ore pellets and Lilly pad targets..
Trying to lock in my muscle memory.

Will start beer can assassination's, as soon as the Hunter style sling shots arrive.
I love to learn new stuff.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
So what's the difference between a slingshot and a flip?

My wife's grandmother used to talk about popie hunting rabbits with his flip. They were dirt floor poor and got married under 16.

I assumed it was a sling shot but did asker her about it and she confirmed it. He made it out of a forked stick and old bike tubes.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/02/21 05:39 PM

Some of my ancestors used slingshots as weapons. There was no rubber or tubes for them to use.

[Linked Image]

Some of my ancestors used Colts for weapons. They weren't very good with slingshots but they were very good at slinging lead.

[Linked Image]

There is one thing I can guarantee for certain and that is who won.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/03/21 01:37 AM

When I was a kid we'd make slings (like David slew Goliath with) out of leather boot laces and a chunk of leather. We made them the same length as our arms. I was never very accurate with any of mine, but holy crap could you fling a rock forever with them! We liked looking for oblong stones, or ones with a sharp edge on them, because it would whip them so fast that their spin made a loud buzz as the stone rocketed away. Ditto RR spikes, they'd make a heck of a racket as they buzzed away downrange.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/06/21 02:49 AM

This thread got me to thinking.

So, I grabbed one of my old Wrist Rockets. Is that a brand name? Anyway the one I grabbed is Daisey®.

I cut up a worn out leather work glove for pouches, and grabbed a bag of #32 office type rubberbands. I am now experimenting with different combinations of chaining/braiding/knotting the rubberbands. Lemon Drop hard candy is my ammo for the moment. Dang, I ain't had this much fun since I was a kid.

Re: Slingshot ?? - 10/06/21 01:41 PM

This thread got me to thinking.

So, I grabbed one of my old Wrist Rockets. Is that a brand name? Anyway the one I grabbed is Daisey®.

I cut up a worn out leather work glove for pouches, and grabbed a bag of #32 office type rubberbands. I am now experimenting with different combinations of chaining/braiding/knotting the rubberbands. Lemon Drop hard candy is my ammo for the moment. Dang, I ain't had this much fun since I was a kid.

I know.
I'm having a blast with mine too.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums