Home

New to Texas

Posted By: ceb7972

New to Texas - 09/29/21 01:06 AM

I recently moved to east Texas about 40 minutes west of Tyler (depending how heavy your foot is that is). Now I’ve been told that most Texans will take care of themselves or they expect to be paid for a lease. Anyone have any suggestions as far as that goes. I’m from Pennsylvania and it was either they would or they wouldn’t let you on. Any advice?
Posted By: Chancey

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 01:26 AM

Yes, and Yes for your questions.

Unfortunately, Texas has become a pay to play game as for as hunting goes. It really chaps my hide.

Most of Texas is privately owned, and many of the larger LOs don't/won't fool with leases anymore if you are not willing to pay$. Walking up and knocking on the door for permission from a farmer has been destroyed by trophy (horn) hunting and technology. However, the majority of LOs in Texas are good ole country folk and willing and wanting to help out someone. The wind blows both ways. Start by going to your local feed stores, FSA offices, Church, local charities, etc. Show them that you want to be there and willing to help out; Introduce yourself. Many of our LOs are up in age and the kiddos no longer want/care to manage the smaller farms/ranches. If you see a farmer on the side of the road mending fence all by himself, then stop and help him out with an extra hand. The Golden Rule goes a long ways down here.

There are however; some excellent opportunities on public land to score a good buck or small game hunting. You just have to do your homework. Chancey

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 01:48 PM

I appreciate it the advice. Thank you.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 03:42 PM

Another piece of advise on moving to Texas.
Bring a truck load of cash.
They tax you and fee you to death. If you can get over the crazy prices for land or housing, brace yourself, it’s only the beginning.
Posted By: run

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 04:22 PM

Tailhunter, that sounds like Virginia.
Posted By: Ranger109

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
Another piece of advise on moving to Texas.
Bring a truck load of cash.
They tax you and fee you to death. If you can get over the crazy prices for land or housing, brace yourself, it’s only the beginning.

Please explain yourself on "they tax you and fee you to death"
Posted By: hippie

Re: New to Texas - 09/29/21 05:10 PM

Going from Pa. to Texas, he'll be getting a tax break so no worries there.

Re: New to Texas - 10/07/21 04:49 PM

No joke. I’m a disabled vet so I get some breaks bc of that, but taxes aren’t close to what I had up there
Posted By: jtg

Re: New to Texas - 10/07/21 06:18 PM

We love our vets here in Texas. Take a little time to make friends and I am sure you will have plenty of places to hunt. Texas Parks and Wildlife offers draw hunts and there is the National Forests. Welcome, sir.

Originally Posted by ceb7972
No joke. I’m a disabled vet so I get some breaks bc of that, but taxes aren’t close to what I had up there
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: New to Texas - 10/07/21 06:43 PM

Most of the guys I know go towards the panhandle to get a lease they can afford. The further you can find a place form the big cities the better. Try and find a few guys you trust and go together on a lease. Do exactly what the landowner wants. Besides the cash don’t forget him/her on holidays. I always offered some game or fish and always ask if anything needs done. Even though you’re paying it’s a privilege to be on their ground. The first thing grandpa always said when we got to his lease near Brownwood was footprints only boys. Words of wisdom! Good luck

Re: New to Texas - 10/07/21 06:44 PM

Thanks, good to be back here. I saw the duck hunts at Richard chambers that I’ll be taking advantage of this year.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: New to Texas - 10/08/21 08:27 PM

Still no state income tax in Texas?
Posted By: jtg

Re: New to Texas - 10/08/21 11:18 PM

No state income tax. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Originally Posted by BigBob
Still no state income tax in Texas?
Posted By: rionueces

Re: New to Texas - 10/12/21 11:34 AM

Welcome to Texas. I trade predator control work for hunting and fishing privileges on some of the large ranches around here. You could probably do the same....
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: New to Texas - 10/12/21 01:33 PM

I was stationed in Fort Hood Texas when I was younger and I had a blast. Was able to to go hunting and fishing right on the fort.
Posted By: Matt58

Re: New to Texas - 10/13/21 05:08 PM

I teach school in Canton....once you get to know some people you will probably find some opportunities....
© 2024 Trapperman Forums