Home

Summer job in Alaska

Posted By: trappergirl04

Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 07:51 PM

My sister worked a summer job in Alaska last year and I have the opportunity to do the same thing, but I was wondering if anybody knew of an animal related and well paying internship/job for the summer? I’m wanting to find a job that would give me experience to help me in my goal of becoming a veterinarian. My sister worked in a tourist shop in Skagway and I’d rather work with animals of some kind if I had the chance.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 08:33 PM

Check with ADFG and see if they have any internships available. If so, probably unpaid.

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 08:50 PM

Okay, thanks
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 11:19 PM

Might try these people also.

https://akvma.org/

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/vet/animal-care/

Bust out a phone book and start calling veterinarian clinics. If you only get pointed in a direction, it’s a start.

Good luck

Owl
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 11:25 PM

Get a job with a local cow/calf operation. Some of those old cowboys are pretty close to a vet where cattle are concerned. Unless you want to have another pet clinic. Livestock vets seem to be getting scarce.

Unless you just want to go to Alaska.
Posted By: run

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/29/21 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Get a job with a local cow/calf operation. Some of those old cowboys are pretty close to a vet where cattle are concerned. Unless you want to have another pet clinic. Livestock vets seem to be getting scarce.

I agree with Danny.
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 12:31 AM

Better be sure to hit the books. Vet School is way more competitive than Med School.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 12:34 AM

Some of the big dog mushing kennels need handlers, but from what I hear it’s mostly scooping a lot of poop for room and board . I could be wrong tho. Probably easy to contact them and see.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 02:16 AM

I was thinking on the order of wrangler at a dude operation.
I know there are a few of them.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 03:05 AM

Our local animal clinics are covid-protocol. Drop your animals off at the door, type thing. It's ridiculous, right now.
Dog mush tours are also suffering.
ADFG sometimes hires "interns", but little, or no pay.
No big farm operations, that I am aware of, either.
Seasonally, canneries are typically hiring, with lots of hours, but you would only be handling dead fish.

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

Large animals is what I want to specialize in and yes, I would kind just like to go to Alaska. Thank you all for the info and advice
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 03:38 AM

Try googling reindeer and/or musk ox Alaska. There are some being raised here
Posted By: white17

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 02:06 PM

https://www.muskoxfarm.org/
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 02:48 PM

I'll mention option M. Mackinac Island, MI. Go be a tour guide and drive or take care of the draft horses.
Posted By: charles

Re: Summer job in Alaska - 09/30/21 04:02 PM

Call Dr. Poll (sp). As seen on Tv.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums