Home

Non Resident kills Non Resident

Posted By: Chamacat

Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 08:47 PM

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/b...-killed-by-fellow-elk-hunter-in-colorado

Yep..Dang the bad luck
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:17 PM

Kinda of a stupid thing to do. White shoot?

Too hard to wait and actually see the elk?
Posted By: Spade

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:29 PM

Guy, that did the shooting doesn't read like a newby to hunting. But dang didn't identify target before shooting (Knucklehead).
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:40 PM

Key words..."He took a shot at what he thought was an Elk".

Just can't justify that action.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:43 PM

I member a gal back east getting shot for a whitetail cuz she had white mittens on. City folks only get out once a year! I've caught shotgun pellets from city quail hunters.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:46 PM

We write this off as just shooting at sound or movement but there are some studies that show one can "see" what one has built themselves up to see.

Still no excuse whatsoever, but it sounds like the details point towards the two calling and responding to the other in ways each would expect to see.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 09:53 PM

Morosko is currently charged with criminally negligent homicide

As he should be. The fool was old enough to know better. I wonder how many other hunters he shot at in PA.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 10:09 PM

I remember when Tim Caven was shot in the head by a turkey hunter.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 10:12 PM

Throw the book at him. He needs the stiffest penalty possible.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 10:14 PM

So was the "elk" he shot at wearing an orange life vest by any chance ??? Asking for a friend.
Posted By: BernieB.

In some states they shoot as sounds and movement, it's common from what I hear. It's really bad in the forested areas of Minnesota as well. Seriously dangerous stuff.
Posted By: BernieB.

Originally Posted by Scuba1
So was the "elk" he shot at wearing an orange life vest by any chance ??? Asking for a friend.

Read the article.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1

Short answer: No

Long answer:

The archery hunter who was shot by a muzzleloader hunter wasn’t required to wear the 500 square inches of orange that the muzzleloader hunter was required to wear. The Colorado seasons overlap and you only have to wear orange during a firearms season if you are hunting with a firearm.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
In some states they shoot as sounds and movement, it's common from what I hear. It's really bad in the forested areas of Minnesota as well. Seriously dangerous stuff.

true

i was in resturaunt in northern minn... hunter came in and guy asked him how he did he said had 2 good sound shots!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:11 PM

In Ky IF you archery hunt during a firearm season you have to wear the blaze orange vest and hat. Why should half the hunters have an orange vest on and the other half not ? It says a lot for western game laws lacking common sense. Bull calling hunter calling in another hunter.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:14 PM

Yep..Something strange about the story is the "10" hour search party. When the guy fired the muzzle loader he had to be fairly close to the target he thought was a elk..So he runs up to the elk and then realizes he shot a bow hunter..So what does the guy do? does he run off? and the search party follows a blood trail and catches up with the shot bow hunter 10 hours later. I don't get the long duration of the search party's time frame..Most of all these hunters carry two radios anymore I hear the crackle of the radios myself in deep still canyons..Anyways sounds like the guy suffered a slow death..I wasn't there so I don't know how it went down after the muzzle loader shot..makes me sick
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:37 PM

The bottom line is that anyone needs to identify their target prior to pulling the trigger. He should not only be charged with criminally negligent homicide but also convicted. The hunter orange requirement just gives the jury an excuse to not convict. There is no excuse for what happened.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
In Ky IF you archery hunt during a firearm season you have to wear the blaze orange vest and hat. Why should half the hunters have an orange vest on and the other half not ? It says a lot for western game laws lacking common sense. Bull calling hunter calling in another hunter.

Georgia is pretty much the same. If a gun season for deer is in then orange must be worn by all, at all times, if hunting deer, bear or hogs.
Does not apply if small game hunting on private land or if archery hunting on archery only WMAs.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:40 PM

Wow, sad story.

Not the first, and even sadder probably won't be the last.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:42 PM

^^^ this is what I was wondering too. Why 10 hrs to find the victim? Did the shooter not know he shot a person. Some missing details in that story.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:43 PM

The archery hunter who was shot by a muzzleloader hunter wasn’t required to wear the 500 square inches of orange that the muzzleloader hunter was required to wear. The Colorado seasons overlap and you only have to wear orange during a firearms season if you are hunting with a firearm.

That's a law created by idiots. If there are rifle hunters in the woods in numbers such that blaze orange is required for them, every hunter in the woods should be smart enough to wear orange.

In reading a posting regarding this event on another forum I got the impression the bow hunter was using a 2D bull elk decoy, but I am not sure my impression is correct.

Given that this is an "on-going investigation" with charges filed, I don't think we will get the full story until after the trial, and I expect Co law will be changed before that happens.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 09/30/21 11:45 PM

It definitely sounds like the gun hunter knew he shot a man and just ran to me....
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 12:01 AM

Every hunter in the woods should be smart enough to identify his target prior to pulling the trigger. Farmers lose livestock every year to unethical hunters because they aren't wearing blaze orange cow protection vests.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 12:11 AM

Third rule of gun safety here.

Always be absolutely sure to identify your target, and what lies in front of and beyond it.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 12:26 AM

Yep
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 12:44 AM

Crying shame... The ML guy could possibly have saved the Bow hunters lif"e had he reported the "mistake " immediately.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Always be absolutely sure to identify your target, and what lies in front of and beyond it.

Don't start quoting gun safety laws . TOO many STEEL target shooters on here. You know Don't shoot any hard flat surfaces.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 01:22 AM

BUT if the bow hunter was using / carrying a elk decoy then the idiot one may not be the one still alive !! BIG IF

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 01:38 AM

Yep..Never heard anything about a elk decoy..When hunting with a elk decoy it is usually a cow elk during this time of year..There is a strategy in using a cow elk decoy..It takes two or more people besides the elk bow hunter to make it work..The bow hunter never works the decoy..It would make more sense to me if the story read that a man was shot by a muzzle loader hunter carrying a elk decoy in the woods..not the bow hunter...but then again these people are Non Residents in elk country so who knows...sad

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 01:44 AM

Don't start quoting gun safety laws . TOO many STEEL target shooters on here. You know Don't shoot any hard flat surfaces.

Lol, yeah I shoot steel too. And yell at people when they set up 5 feet from the target.

I give them this

Attached picture 6C239412-AB39-4FA6-BAF3-1CDB86466ED0.jpeg

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Morosko is currently charged with criminally negligent homicide

As he should be. The fool was old enough to know better. I wonder how many other hunters he shot at in PA.

PA can be a scary place at times.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 02:23 AM

I think the theme should be…

Please be careful and identify your target.

Also, please be as visible as possible to other hunters. Even if you aren’t “legally” required to wear hunter orange (or pink). Please be safe and wear it even if not required.

Deer can’t see orange, but the people shooting at sound hopefully will.

Also, please wear a fall arrest harness whenever you are hunting above ground level.

Hunter safety rant over…. Well not really, I will always say something, it’s my second job.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 02:43 AM

You'd have a heart attack if you saw the rickety stands I hunt out of without a harness lol.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
You'd have a heart attack if you saw the rickety stands I hunt out of without a harness lol.

mad

Please wear one going forward.
Posted By: ToTheWoods

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 05:20 PM

Once worked with a guy who told me a story about shooting at two deer that were running across a field. He said he walked out of the woods and saw the flags of two deer running across the field and opened up on them (which is bad enough). When he walked to check for blood he realized that it was two kids with white hats swinging on a swing set. Some people are plain idiots with guns.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chamacat
Yep..Never heard anything about a elk decoy..When hunting with a elk decoy it is usually a cow elk during this time of year..There is a strategy in using a cow elk decoy..It takes two or more people besides the elk bow hunter to make it work..The bow hunter never works the decoy..It would make more sense to me if the story read that a man was shot by a muzzle loader hunter carrying a elk decoy in the woods..not the bow hunter...but then again these people are Non Residents in elk country so who knows...sad

These will get a few more bow hunters killed if safety doesn't prevail.
[Linked Image]

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 05:57 PM

Running guns and arrows together is a stupid idea that only a bureaucrat would think is a good one.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I member a gal back east getting shot for a whitetail cuz she had white mittens on. City folks only get out once a year! I've caught shotgun pellets from city quail hunters.

If I remember correctly she on her deck. Had just stepped out of her house
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

Georgia is pretty much the same. If a gun season for deer is in then orange must be worn by all, at all times, if hunting deer, bear or hogs.
Does not apply if small game hunting on private land or if archery hunting on archery only WMAs.

That's how it should be. In MN, if you're trapping during deer rifle season, you're a fool if you don't wear blaze orange. That's just good common sense. The same applies to a bow hunter during rifle season. They must wear blaze orange.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 07:00 PM

Don't know all the details yet but sounds like the bow hunter was coming into the gun hunters calls. Either way BOTH made a mistake ! Only problem is the bow hunters was fatal and the gun hunter will pay for the rest of his life.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 07:14 PM

Don't know all the details yet but sounds like the bow hunter was coming into the gun hunters calls. Either way BOTH made a mistake ! Only problem is the bow hunters was fatal and the gun hunter will pay for the rest of his life.

Very sad for all involved.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

mad

Please wear one going forward.

or at least a mask
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Spade
Guy, that did the shooting doesn't read like a newby to hunting. But dang didn't identify target before shooting (Knucklehead).

You dont shoot at an elk, deer. what ever, you shoot at a '"spot" on an elk. Just where was this hunter aiming? Its possible he could mistake something for an elk, but the spot right behind the front leg, no way. He had no business in the woods.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 09:53 PM

Odd! I could understand a resident killing a non-resident.

Re: Non Resident kills Non Resident - 10/01/21 09:58 PM

I thought this was about an illegal Mexican killing a Haitian .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums