Home

One hand

Posted By: Moreland

One hand - 10/02/21 09:28 PM

Anyone know any one armed or handed trapper, lost use of my right wrist and hand
Posted By: Knappett

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 01:30 AM

no and sorry to hear about your hand that's rough. but I have read about a professional hunter in Africa that lost his right hand and learned to use his left to fire his 500 nitro express double rifle to continue hunting elephants. men can do extraordinary things if they have too. I have no doubt you can carry on trapping. good luck.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 02:12 AM

I do not know any but I am sure it is possible I have met a few one handed people and they manage to do some amazing things.

our town pharmacist growing up had one hand you would hardly know he led/leads a very normal life he is retired now , he is good friends with my aunt and uncle , he used to drive us to swimming lessons when we were kids.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 02:44 AM

Yea I used to know a guy that lost a hand in a saw mill accident. He had prosthetic hook thing he used. He didn't really let it slow him down much. Deer hunted with him a few times. He would even climb trees to hunt out of. Never used a stand just found a limby tree and went as high as he could and find a limb to set on.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 02:54 AM

Not a trapper, but the cleaning lady at work has one arm and wipes tables down better than anyone else.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 02:56 AM

Yup….a local guy named lefty. Had his right arm blown off in an electrical accident. Had to have special eating utensils made….and only can drink beer from glass long neck bottles. But that didn’t stop him from trapping ! I was amazed at what he could do.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 03:47 AM

Where there's a will, there's a way. Cages would be easy enough, snares too. If you can, set traps by compressing the levers with your feet and use one hand to engage the dog and pan, that would be an option as well. Probably do bodygrip traps with a set of RTS setters with a little practice.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 10:49 AM

I knew a one-armed roofer. He was missing part of his right arm right around the elbow. He worked as hard as any of us. It was pretty amazing to see him whipping the mop around on hot-tar roofing jobs.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 10:57 AM

yes I no a man that lost his arm , in accident , and he shoot trap , and golfs , and can set traps , he is quite the outdoors man , he is older now but still very active outdoors ,
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 11:03 AM

Heck yes,. The old host of KY a field has one good arm and still bow hunts. Has a fob and pull and holds his bow with his teeth. I think his name is Tim? You will find a way and you can do it.

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 12:03 PM

My Dad, not a Trapper but
Hunter, Golfer, Tennis , racquetball. Etc

He was 5 when he got Polio in 1944, I never hardly realized he was different when I was growing up.
Posted By: Moreland

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 06:16 PM

Thank yall, skinning will be the most challenging and otter and beaver are my favorite water critters, I'll figure out a way I'm sure
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 06:44 PM

Maybe you can find you a kid to mentor and have him do most of the skinning. For otter, a skinning machine would probably be invaluable.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 07:40 PM

My papaw lost his left arm when he was about 20. A guy got mad that.he wouldn't sale him his cow and hid
behind a bush, when papaw went to feed the boys the next day, he stepped out and was going to shoot him
in the back. Mamaw was his and hollered, as he turned around, the whole load took his arm off. He raised 10 kids after.that and never let nothing stop him from doing things...it can be done.
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 07:48 PM

There was an old one armed trapper that did a coyote demo at the missouri trappers association fall rendezvous years ago, seemed like he had a system and did quite well.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 08:35 PM

Good family friend lost his arm. He’s a character to say the least. He said if ya want to know frustration and perseverance try putting a pillow case on with one hand.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Good family friend lost his arm. He’s a character to say the least. He said if ya want to know frustration and perseverance try putting a pillow case on with one hand.

Heck I bet opening garbage bags would be a lesson in that. Sometimes that's tough with 2 hands depding on brand.
Posted By: GritGuy

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 09:14 PM

My grandpa lost his left hand in an accident when he was 18, he is now 90, he never
Stopped doing any thing he wanted to do, after a few years he was fitted with a changeable
Hook on his arm.

He never looked back, you can do much more now than he could then, you just
Have to have a positive look on life !!
Posted By: charles

Re: One hand - 10/03/21 11:19 PM

I admire anyone who can trap with one arm. I have tried it with one hand in a Connibear. I have tried it with both hands in a Connibear. It ain’t so easy.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: One hand - 10/04/21 12:04 AM

Reminded me of this. frown

Posted By: eric space

Re: One hand - 10/04/21 12:59 AM

Gene Fisher from NJ had one hand. Trapped a lot of foxes back in the day. Always had the best handled fur at the NJTA fur sales, and I would say the best handled fur I have ever seen. Always got top dollar at the sales. Gene passed away 10-12 years ago, was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. His other hobby was woodworking/cabinet making. To say he was a perfectionist was an understatement. RIP Gene.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: One hand - 10/04/21 06:41 AM

I had the pleasure of knowing a trapper who had arthritis so bad that he could not move any of his fingers, could not move his head in any direction, his ankles had been surgically fused, his knees were shot, his left elbow was locked at a 90 degree angle. He also had diabetes.
He could do everything I can do. It just took him longer. He trapped beaver, otter, rats, raccoon, fox, coyotes, and bear until cancer took him out.
He went to Africa and New Zealand and bagged several impressive trophy animals with his semi-auto 30-06. One shot for each one of them.
I met him when he was 60 years old. He passed away at 80.
On his worst days he would simply say this, "There's people in worse shape than me," then head out the door and get after it.
When I wake up in the morning and my back is so stiff that I can barely roll out of bed, all I have to to get going is think about Trapper Dick, then I hop right up and get after it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums